How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 am

The drama with my ability to change gears was caused by a frayed cable in the shifters. LBS in Ivanhoe replaced the cable smartly and I was back on the road within 20 minutes. Thanks guys! Rest of the ride was pleasant enough, especially with the use of a wider range of gears :mrgreen: .
Celebrated the ability to shift again by taking the scenic route into the CBD via the Darebin trail, not that there is much scenery to admire in the dark...makes for a ride with a difference though anyway. Cool and pleasant conditions all the way into the Melbourne CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 am

Full brutal. Rode in today, got to get back on the horse. The wounds have almost stopped weeping, that's going to have to be enough. :roll: managed 44 minutes rolling inbound, which is only 2 minutes slower than flogging myself to death and doing 40kmh on the paths. :oops: How annoying, given I couldn't push past 30kmh on the flat. Really sore. Hit 400 miles on Strava though :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am

I was about to leave for work when our 20 month old put his helmet on & looked at me with those big blue eyes, intimating "take me for a ride daddy". I am as tough as a junket sandwich so I took advantage of working for myself and gave permission to be late to work - & took him for a 10 k ride & a quick play in the park.

Back home, dump the trailer & off to work & I saw a very rare sight - a car driver opened the door 10 cm or so, saw me & stopped opening the door :shock: I do not ride in the door zone, but it was nice to see none the less - I thanked her as I rode past.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am

wet weather coming for brissy. did a front'n'back coot-tha-mute
there's been camera people/reports up there tuesday and today
today there was a bloke being interviewed with what looked like a radar gun.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Very tough commute this morning. My legs were stuffed after SOP training this morning and some CCR action before the City. A bit of a headwind didn't help much either. I think I might have been better off getting off and walking on the last couple of k's!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Really digging having road shoes, the bruising on my legs is absolutely killing me, and I'm utterly knackered from the return commute, but I managed a couple 1000m runs at 40 and 50 kmh respectively. The actual effort to generate the power just isn't as high as the old MTB shoes, even though they don't feel super comfortable at all. Just hope I recover by Saturday :mrgreen:

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Pyrmont Footbridge in Sydney teaming with peds, cruising along two bike cops riding towards me, they go either side of a monorail pylon and nearly skittle the cyclist in front of me... LOL

The guy in front of me was keep to the left side and was very hipster sans helmet! The cop nearly came off, swore and then kept going. Probably did not even realise no helmet.

They should at least find cops who can cycle! Was good for a laugh though.

JM

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 am

Big effort on the ride home yesterday....grabbed 2 Strava KOM's and they hurt getting them. Got rained on during the ride which hasnt happened in a long time.

Also scored the Strava 1000 Base mile "badge" this morning. Overall doesnt mean much but at least I can say I have ridden a 1000 miles in a month.

Took it very easy riding in this morning, am too tired and sore to do any huge effort

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 am

Started off slack this morning. Tried a different mount location for the GoPro last night and this morning found it fouled the down tube shifters. Couldn't be bothered adjusting it so cruised along in the little ring. Was a great morning for cruising, calm, cool(ish) and a lot of traffic on the cycle way.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:17 am

Unpleasant day on the bike. Wore long sleeves, and the sun inevitably came out heading to work, so was too hot. Of course, this meant wearing them home again, too. Then had a run-in with a bell-end in a 4WD who trailled me through a detour at 30km/h at about 10 feet off the back wheel in first gear. I slowed to let him pass and he had a go, so I pointed out that I didn't need 2.5T of metal inserted in my back end, and he should perhaps insert it in his own. Not proud. Better week next week with luck.

Jim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 am

I'm in the excuses thread today. This morning would have been fine (drizzle with some rain patches) but this afternoon is looking not so pleasant. If you are riding in Brisbane (or any part of the QLD coast for that matter, please take care.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:48 am

First commute with the GoPro mounted, not sure how it went and will have a look at the footage later. Had a van fail to giveway and come out from a side road in front of me and cut me off in the first two minutes (should be fun having a look at the footage and seeing what it looks like through the camera), and the Melbourne weather this morning was very blustery and not altogether pleasant.

I'm feeling tired and feeling it in the legs, which is in part due to staying up late the past few days playing with the new GoPro and Edge 500 and also from the hot weather. Here's hoping I have more energy for the Triathlon Pink on Sunday otherwise it is going to hurt.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Hot ride back in Melbourne yesterday afternoon. Despite it being a multi-hop commute (LBS in Ivanhoe, new hobby shop in Heidelberg, brother's place in Watsonia North), I felt really drained by the time I got back. Odd for the shorter, 30km version of my ride back - but then I had triple-H conditions: Heat, Headwinds, Hills...I know, excuses excuses.
Ride in this morning was ok, still pretty warm at 26C around 4:30am.
As far as the new hobby goes: :mrgreen:
Hope to give it a try starting this long weekend.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm

TailWind wrote:Hot ride back in Melbourne yesterday afternoon. Despite it being a multi-hop commute (LBS in Ivanhoe, new hobby shop in Heidelberg, brother's place in Watsonia North), I felt really drained by the time I got back. Odd for the shorter, 30km version of my ride back - but then I had triple-H conditions: Heat, Headwinds, Hills...I know, excuses excuses.
Ride in this morning was ok, still pretty warm at 26C around 4:30am.
As far as the new hobby goes: :mrgreen:
Hope to give it a try starting this long weekend.
so what are you going to go into...spirits, wine or beer

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

gretaboy wrote: so what are you going to go into...spirits, wine or beer
Beer, definitely the beer...hoping to achieve a reasonable Pilsner sometime down the line :D

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Commute in today was oddly lonely in Brisbane. With heavy rains overnight and a nasty weather forecast, I saw only 2 other cyclists during my 13km commute from Brookfield to Toowong. As it turned out, the rain was very light at 7-8am and I enjoyed a delightful ride in.

I still maintain that cycling in the rain still beats catching the bus. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Commute in today was oddly lonely in Brisbane. With heavy rains overnight and a nasty weather forecast, I saw only 2 other cyclists during my 13km commute from Brookfield to Toowong. As it turned out, the rain was very light at 7-8am and I enjoyed a delightful ride in.

I still maintain that cycling in the rain still beats catching the bus. :mrgreen:
grrr. It was pissing down when i got up (~5am)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote: so what are you going to go into...spirits, wine or beer
Beer, definitely the beer...hoping to achieve a reasonable Pilsner sometime down the line :D
spirits I reckon could turn out ok, but I reckon the brew your own wine would taste like the proverbial

I believe it is very temperature related...got to have it just right to get a decent drop/beer...from what I have been told

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Did my two commutes as planned, Monday and Friday this week. I had a lovely tailwind this morning which meant I got there in 25 mins instead of half an hour with minimal effort, but it did mean I was just about grinding to a halt on the way home. I think everyone in Adelaide was at the TDU this afternoon, I only saw two cyclists on my bike path the entire ride to work and back.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

gretaboy wrote:spirits I reckon could turn out ok
DIY spirits might slow your commuting down - not so much being drunk, more the methanol sending you blind

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 am

Double bugger on my commute in this morning. Hit a rock on the road at about 45kmh. Saw it too late to miss it but of course my front tyre punctured. Being a novice (read - never done before) at changing tubes, I put out a back up call to a workmate to vary his drive in slight so he could pick me up if I didn't succeed in changing it myself. I was struggling with getting the tyre back on when my white knights arrived. Two workmates (car sharing) and the second is a cyclist. He helped me get the tyre on and pumped up then they waved goodbye as I set off for the last 10km. 5km later I was back on the phone asking to be picked up cos the same tyre went down. I'm thinking I put a hole in the tyre with the rock and that led to the second puncture.

Oh well, it's off to my LBS....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 am

Cool and overcast ride back on Friday afternoon. Lazy long weekend (as far as riding goes), with only a short hop for dinner at the brother-in-law and family on Saturday.
Cool and drizzly on the way into the Melbourne CBD this morning. Unfortunately, I hadn't packed a spray jacket as it was dry when I started out. Fortunately, the drizzle stopped about 5km from the CBD, and I mostly dried out.

Cruised through this on Heidelberg Rd on Friday unmolested (as one would expect :mrgreen: ):

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

Bit dirty.

Had to do a bit of a jump and get some serious airtime.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Over the weekend i finally got around to adding a rack to the bike. I had to get specail fittings to make it work for my bike. Anyway no sooner attached than I put the panniers on when my loving wife starts loading all my various cycling paraphenalia into one of the panniers. You know the sort of thing, rain jacket, spare tubes, floor pump, spare shoes, coule of full water bottles and a thermos I normally take with me on longer rides. Then as she is a loving wife to make sure I am okay she loads in a first aid kit as well.

Needless to say the trip in was slow and at times grinding as I would think the load on my bike increased by 10 kilograms or more by the time all this stuff was added. In addition I had a head wind all the way.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Commute was fine for me this morning. There was sand on the brook and a tree down next to the golf course. The riverside expressway path was also closed but nothing I couldn't get around. :mrgreen: