Slashed a tire today - can it be fixed?

__PG__

Slashed a tire today - can it be fixed?

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 pm

A first for me today. A tiny piece of tambark pierced the tire, the tube..and got swallowed by the tube itself. Tires are Michelin Pro Race 4 Endurance with only 600 km of wear. Do I glue/patch the tire or just bin it?

1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

RonK

Re: Slashed a tire today - can it be fixed?

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Bin it, it's dangerous.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 pm

+1 - in the bin. You've torn through the reinforcing fibres. Rotten luck to trash a new
tyre so quickly, but would be much worse luck for it to blow while riding at speed.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 pm

+1 Bin
Remember when you are spinning down that hill at 70+ kph & suddenly you remember the PATCH!!!! :shock:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't bin it. Cut in into several 4-6"-ish long pieces, then cut the bead off. Voila, you have some tyre boots.

If you have similar or worse tyre damage on the road again, you can use one of them to fix it and get home. Place it between the tube and the hole in the tyre. Better than a $5 note and takes up bugger all space in your tool kit/pocket.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

simonn wrote:Don't bin it. Cut in into several 4-6"-ish long pieces, then cut the bead off. Voila, you have some tyre boots.

If you have similar or worse tyre damage on the road again, you can use one of them to fix it and get home. Place it between the tube and the hole in the tyre. Better than a $5 note and takes up bugger all space in your tool kit/pocket.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to continue the conversation along the lines of 'what do you do if this happens to you 50 km from home (as opposed to 5 km?).

Would you glue the tyre 'boot' on or just let the pressure of the tube keep it in place? I'd imagine the ride quality would get a bit 'lumpy' afterwards.

Is superglueing another option? Or gluing on a tube patch? I suppose you'd have to glue it from the outside, as there wouldn't be enough rubber on the inside of the carcass for the vulcanization to work.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Sometimes a bigger slash/hole is better it makes the choice to throw the tyre out easier.

+1 to the bin it idea.

Shoe Goo seems to be the glue of choice for tyre repairs. Superglue dries 'hard" and cracks.

To get home. A tube patch on the inside of the tyre and a "boot" ie a $5 note or a section of plastic cool drink bottle. Super glue is good to get you home that is all.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

__PG__ wrote: Would you glue the tyre 'boot' on or just let the pressure of the tube keep it in place? I'd imagine the ride quality would get a bit 'lumpy' afterwards.
No glue. It is a barely perceptible lumpy. More for getting you home, to a bike shop etc than a proper fix.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Definitely a binner.

Carrying a boot is an excellent idea, got caught out one day travelling ultra light and had to slice a section from a grout bag on a building site to get me home. Damn cast off wheel weights.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011