newbie torque wrench question

jjcp

newbie torque wrench question

Postby jjcp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi All,

So I bought the Pro torque wrench the other day and the manual states that when you hear a 'click' you stop turning. What if you don't hear the 'click' and most of all is it distinctive from the normal ratcheting sound? finally can you still keep turning the torque wrench beyond the torque setting that has been dialed in or does it stop at that specific torque?

thanks all.

eeksll

Re: newbie torque wrench question

Postby eeksll » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:19 pm

on my torque wrench the defining factor is when the head and the body/shaft are no longer in line. At higher torque levels 8Nm+ it is very obvious and noticeable, there is also a click. At lower torque settings e.g 5Nm the click is almost miss-able if your not looking. Go slow at low torque settings

After the click, you can continue to tighten, its not a "off switch".

Play around with it on a bolt that doesn't matter e.g something that is not on your bike with CF bits.

outnabike

Re: newbie torque wrench question

Postby outnabike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 pm

:D Hi eeksll,
Put a nut into a bench vice to practice. Then you will be close to the tool to hear its operation. It defeats the purpose to not be able to hear the click.
As an apprentice we were taught to never strain on any given sized spanner and you will be close to the Torque of the bolt. That is why the old spanner sets were made in given sizes.
Mind you some of the blokes were like gorillas any way. At least a torque wrench takes the guess work out of the equation.
Realize that a bolt with oil on it will tighten quicker than one with out. In all the years I fixed my own bikes I never used a T Wrench. But I may have been lucky. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers