Lights on bikes, 25 Jan 13

Skexis

Lights on bikes, 25 Jan 13

Postby Skexis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm

I'll start by pointing out I'm a cyclist as well.

Did an early shift today into the city via Anzac Highway/West Terrace/King William St/King William Road and I have to say I was shocked, horrified, dismayed, aghast (take your pick) at the amount of lycra warriors out there this morning around 5-6am with no lights whatsoever. All those concerned were obviously off to do the Mutual Community bit of the TDU however I'm not sure why these people to whom I refer felt the need to be unlit.

Do you think you are so good a rider that you don't need lights? Do you think your lycra makes you somehow invincible or gives you superhuman powers? Or maybe you're delusional enough to think you are so good that the ounce or two the lights weigh really make that amount of difference to your speed.

Sad. Or pathetic. Not sure which.

redned

Re: Lights on bikes, 25 Jan 13

Postby redned » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:30 pm

No lights is definitely a bad idea.
But I would like more evidence of a correlation between no lights and lycra. IME people without lights can be dressed in many ways.
And "warriors"?

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 pm

redned wrote:No lights is definitely a bad idea.
But I would like more evidence of a correlation between no lights and lycra. IME people without lights can be dressed in many ways.
And "warriors"?
Well, everyone I saw without lights today was clad in a TDU shirt, shorts and had a little red tag on their seatposts. As for "warriors", maybe substitute the word "wannabe's", "tryhards" or "desperado's". All would fit equally well imo.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Skexis wrote:I'll start by pointing out I'm a cyclist as well.
:roll:
Skexis wrote:Do you think you are so good a rider that you don't need lights? Do you think your lycra makes you somehow invincible or gives you superhuman powers? Or maybe you're delusional enough to think you are so good that the ounce or two the lights weigh really make that amount of difference to your speed.

Why so aggressively down on “lycra clad” cyclists?
So you spotted some cyclists with no lights early in the morning.........big deal........ :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Stealth riders come in all shapes, sizes and clothing types. Some even wear helmets :roll:

Most notably I believe that they all have the misguided belief that "because I can see the cars and trucks, they can see me!" Roadies in the pre-dawn hours don't seem to want to burden their sleek machines with the blemish (and weight :o ) of a strapped on light.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 pm

il padrone wrote: Most notably I believe that they all have the misguided belief that "because I can see the cars and trucks, they can see me!" Roadies in the pre-dawn hours don't seem to want to burden their sleek machines with the blemish (and weight :o ) of a strapped on light.
Which is so stupid when you consider the size (and power) of modern USB- rechargeable LED front lights.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Most notably I believe that they all have the misguided belief that "because I can see the cars and trucks, they can see me!"
Umm that'd be 'cos the cars and trucks have their lights on, sometimes... :wink:

It's right up there in my WCMO list. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't go out on the roadie at night but I delayed an early morning ride because I'm yet to get a front light!

Some people are just ignorant fantastic people!

EDIT - since when did our posts get moderated and changed? What I wrote is quite different to the above!
Last edited by The Walrus on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I've always found insulting people to be the best way to change their behaviour

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Skexis wrote: I was shocked, horrified, dismayed, aghast (take your pick) at the amount of lycra warriors out there this morning around 5-6am with no lights whatsoever.
And of course, Skexis, road bikes are sold without reflectors or bells. Lots of assumptions there!

Milar

Postby Milar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 pm

clackers wrote:And of course, Skexis, road bikes are sold without reflectors or bells. Lots of assumptions there!
Many without pedals too, but I don't see too many having problems getting those fitted... :wink:

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 am

Last edited by clackers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 am

Milar wrote:
Many without pedals too, but I don't see too many having problems getting those fitted...
Don't see too many taking to the road without pedals, though, Milar! :wink:

Lights and reflectors for night riding aren't difficult or expensive, but ....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 am

redned wrote:No lights is definitely a bad idea.
almost got it right. No lights = no idea.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:19 pm

The Walrus wrote:I don't go out on the roadie at night but I delayed an early morning ride because I'm yet to get a front light!

EDIT - since when did our posts get moderated and changed? What I wrote is quite different to the above!
I know, and so does the automated naughty word censor.

I may agree with your sentiment, but not your choice of words.

I'll leave it at that-For Now

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm

And a mighty perfect one at that. Your bike must be bristling with lights, bells, reflectors, plastic bags to pick up errant dog droppings the list goes on. If people choose to ride in lycra doesnt automatically make the a wanna be or a try hard or a warrior - maybe they find the clothing most suited to riding the most suitable. Not sure what it is on here lately if we cant have a lets crucify Armstrong thread it seems it has to be lets bag out lycra wearing cyclists. Thus I would say Sad AND Pathetic.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Do you think you are so good a rider that you don't need lights?
snipped

Hi Skexis,

I don't think this comes into the equation at all....Consider what it's going to look like at daylight; all lined up with the boys and displaying a light!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:47 pm

ive got the aldi lights on my bike argggg they look crap.when i see somebody with a nice LED light,i get light envy. :mrgreen:

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Drawing a correlation between lycra and a lack of lights is drawing a long bow I think. In my experience (extensive driving and limited cycling), quite the opposite is true.
Yes, some of the "lycra warriors" (of which I'm not one) are douchey in not wanting an extra 100g weight on their bikes - but I usually find that they're more serious about their riding, they do more of it and dont to be hit, and even more than that, they dont want their bikes being hit!

I tend to find that people without lights are generally commuters, operating their bikes on a smallest budget possible - and so they don't bother with things like lights or visible clothing.

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Indeed and these would be the people one would assume wouldn't have the lights. Those to whom I refer were far from that though. Underneath them were an impressive array of carbon fibred machines displaying high level logos. Thousands of dollars worth of bike yet no lamps and yes, my bikes all have front and rear lights, reflectors, bells etc. Not bristling as such, but they are present and do work.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
The Walrus wrote:I don't go out on the roadie at night but I delayed an early morning ride because I'm yet to get a front light!

I know, and so does the automated naughty word censor.

I may agree with your sentiment, but not your choice of words.

I'll leave it at that-For Now

Shaun

Haha...maybe I'm too vulgar for BNA
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 am

I love how people pick on the irrelevant stuff. The OP puts contextual information in a post, a bunch of people ignore the key message and bitch about the meaningless detail. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 am

twizzle wrote:I love how people pick on the irrelevant stuff. The OP puts contextual information in a post, a bunch of people ignore the key message and bitch about the meaningless detail. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
+1

Nutshell version of thread: Some people regardless of who they are or their chosen method of transport are stupid.

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 am

twizzle wrote:I love how people pick on the irrelevant stuff. The OP puts contextual information in a post, a bunch of people ignore the key message and bitch about the meaningless detail. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
My sentiments exactly, skexis makes a valid point or two. Don't shoot the messenger.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Milar wrote:
clackers wrote:And of course, Skexis, road bikes are sold without reflectors or bells. Lots of assumptions there!
Many without pedals too, but I don't see too many having problems getting those fitted... :wink:
LOL
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle