Changing a chain question

DANger-is

Changing a chain question

Postby DANger-is » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm

I've just brought a new cassette and chain (shimano CN-HG93) for my road bike.

I've tried fitting the chain but it is too long by about five links when compared to my old one. The packaging says it fits Deora XT. Have I purchased a MTB chain by accident?

If not do I simply use a chain brake and shorten it to the same length as my old one?

mitzikatzi

Re: Changing a chain question

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Yes shorten to correct length.

9 speed chains are both MTB and Road.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 pm

If the new cassette is the same gearing as your old cassette, and you never had any issues previously, then YES you can shorten the new chain to the same as the old one and away you go.

Did you happen to buy any quick links for the chain (to make it easy to remove and reinstall for cleaning purposes)? If so, you'll need to allow the relevant spacing to the chain for when this quick link is added.

If however the new cassette is running different gearing (particularly one with a larger low gear), then your chain length may need to be amended from the old length in order for it to fit and work correctly.

Try Googling Sheldon Brown or visit the Park Tools website and they have great explanations on how to work out the correct chain length...

Hope this helps!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

DANger-is

Postby DANger-is » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks guys

The new cassette is the same gearing as the old one and I'll have to go and pick up a quick link I think.

Thanks for your advice

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 am

Ah good thread, just saved me trying to measure the new chain, just use the old chain (minus a link to allow for the quick link), of course :roll:

Now slightly off topic, putting on new cassette onto new wheels, so should the new chain only be used on that wheelset and swap to old chain with old wheelset?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 am

If you're not planning on swapping the cassette between wheels then it's prolly a good idea but you should take the relative wear on the chainrings into consideration too. A new chain on oldish rings can slip under power, often with eye watering results.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 pm

yep, not planning to swap cassette's, to allow quick changeover of wheels. Will keep an eye on chainring wear, thanks for the tip