Tannus Puncture Proof Tyres

Hamster

Tannus Puncture Proof Tyres

Postby Hamster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anybody know anything about these? I really like the idea of not having to carry spare tubes, tools etc not to mention the actual repairing of punctures.

http://tannus.com.au/index.html

http://camds.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/ta ... -ride.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXu9yg6xIqQ
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Crawf

Re: Tannus Puncture Proof Tyres

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Have them, but only rolled up and down the street on them so far (bike out of action). So can't add anything yet.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Far be it from being a doubter...but how can they not have any air in them? They sure as heck wouldn't have a rounded shape if they contained a vacuum!!! Marketing fail :D

Still...love to hear how they roll
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

coyote

Postby coyote » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm

And how much do they cost?

What makes them stay on?

reefer

Postby reefer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

In the Blog that is linked He states they cost $77.

Other videos on you tube detail the little plastic “clips” that push through the bead area of the tyre and clip under the sides of your rim.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 am

At that price I'm keen to try one on the rear of my commuter.

So these are solid right?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 am

I have seen these before...seems like a good idea, just dubious on how long they would last on some of our roads

seems like going back in time with the idea....going back when they had solid rubber tyres on cars and such before they moved to inner tubes to try and soften the ride

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 am

herzog wrote:At that price I'm keen to try one on the rear of my commuter.

At that price I'm not sure I am...that sort of money buys two Continental Randoneur Cross Pro tyres and the tubes to go with them!

They are not solid.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
herzog wrote:At that price I'm keen to try one on the rear of my commuter.

At that price I'm not sure I am...that sort of money buys two Continental Randoneur Cross Pro tyres and the tubes to go with them!

They are not solid.
The sites listed above claim they are. And the cross section pics suggest that they are indeed solid.

Image Image

They are claiming 30,000km lifespan.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 am

If they are solid they wouldn't be the claimed weight. I assume it's some sort of closed cell foam.

Sheldon's thoughts on the issue:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which isn't to say that advancement in materials and engineering can't overcome those thoughts, but I'm not convinced yet. Schwalbe Marathons have been almost flatless for me (one in 3 years). I would love to see how square that thing was after 30000km.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 am

MattyK wrote:If they are solid they wouldn't be the claimed weight. I assume it's some sort of closed cell foam.
Which for the purpose of a tyre discussion is "solid". It's not hollow and you don't need to fill it with anything. It's the same material all the way through by the looks.

I'm happy to guinea pig one on my commuter - anyone seen these available in Sydney?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am

It is solid, the supplier showed me a cross section.
A 700x23mm tyre is 371g on my digital scales.
Contact them via the Tannus website if you want a set.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Crawf wrote:It is solid, the supplier showed me a cross section.
A 700x23mm tyre is 371g on my digital scales.
That would give it a material density of about 440 kg/m³, which is about half that of polyurethane which I'd take as guess was the material used. So it'll be a microcellular foam.

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Ok so I've watched the youtube video of the installation on the rim. Looks doable.

But how do you get it off again? As those plastic clips are curved, I can see them being a lot harder to pull back out, as you are working against the curved hook.

Edit: Here's the video. Quite a few on youtube in Korean, but this one is in English.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Which horseman was it again?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 am

Mulger bill wrote:Which horseman was it again?
Sorry Mate, but that was a little too cryptic for me.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 pm

'Salright Hamster, just letting my cynicism show. :wink:

I'll allow a more erudite member to proffer an explanation...
il padrone wrote:There's not much new in cycling that wasn't first thought of and developed in the 1890s.

Including what I term the 'five horsemen of the bicycle apocalypse' - shaft drive, airless tyres, funky saddles, automatic gears and oval chainrings. Regularly 'invented' anew, never commercially successful. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 am

We've got a review of them coming up on BNA. They're under test now (not by me), so we'll get back to you with the ultimate opinion on them. I'm keen to see how they go. At the very least, they'll work well on the kid's bikes.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:We've got a review of them coming up on BNA. They're under test now (not by me), so we'll get back to you with the ultimate opinion on them. I'm keen to see how they go. At the very least, they'll work well on the kid's bikes.
Hi BFV,

Any idea when the review will be available?

I'm considering these for my commuter bike as fixing flats at night in the rain is not much fun. The adverse comments I've come across so far are that they are a bit slippy in the wet and that whilst they smooth minor bumps, bigger bumps are more harsh which creates a risk of rim damage.

Cheers

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Hamster wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:We've got a review of them coming up on BNA. They're under test now (not by me), so we'll get back to you with the ultimate opinion on them. I'm keen to see how they go. At the very least, they'll work well on the kid's bikes.
Hi BFV,

Any idea when the review will be available?

I'm considering these for my commuter bike as fixing flats at night in the rain is not much fun. The adverse comments I've come across so far are that they are a bit slippy in the wet and that whilst they smooth minor bumps, bigger bumps are more harsh which creates a risk of rim damage.

Cheers
Not sure, Hamster. When we do a review of something, we actually spend time living with the product so that we can give you a good idea of how they work and how they work over time. I'll look into it, though.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:....When we do a review of something, we actually spend time living with the product so that we can give you a good idea of how they work and how they work over time....
I had them fitted on Friday (Jan 25), so far I am very impressed but I too will reserve my final judgement for a while yet.

I will do a couple of hundred kilometres next week and will do a preliminary review after that. If you guys have any burning concerns, list them and I will try to address them.

I of course have no association with the product and I would like to thank the OP for this thread which brought them to my attention.

Dizz :)

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 pm

It might have been Ride On magazine that had an okay review of them, with the caveat that eventually taking them off for any reason was going to be difficult with its clips/pins/whatever they are.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 am

So I've been keen to hit the road on these (23mm tyres) however the wheelset they were on has shot bearings.
So I waited and waited until I could wait no more, I ripped them off and installed them on a spare A23 rimmed wheelset I had hanging on the wall.
Well.... I rode 500 meters and then decided to turn around and change bikes :shock:
Now, I am confident that my issue with these is that the (23mm) tyres are just two narrow for my A23 rims (maybe 28mm is better suited) and this is the reason for the truly scary squirming sensation I feel as the tyres roll. It was a very unsettling and unstable feeling as they rolled, I only felt confident turning at walking pace - yes that slow. I have been told that they take some time to 'bed' into the rim, however the whole experience just felt way to dangerous to even be on the road that long if they bedded in at all. You're probably thinking I really didn't give it much of a test but I certainly didn't want too. Keen to hear anyone else's first few km's on theses?
I'm guessing that the tyres would be fine on a narrower rim - but not the newer trending wider rims that I use.
If anyone wants a set of black 23mm H1's that have done 500 meters then let me know...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Guys,

I sent Dizz a PM with a few questions. His reply is below, but remember that this is only a preliminary opinion.

Hey Hamster,

Hamster wrote:

1. Are they dangerously slippy in the wet...

I dare say if this weather continues you will have that answer this week

Hamster wrote:

2. What's their rolling resistance like, it is claimed by some to be high but I'm only intending to use them for commuting so a little more resistance probably won't be a problem

I have a power meter but it will take some time to determine that (perhaps a month of data). Nevertheless at this stage I'm inclined to feel that it's in the region of -1 or 2%

Hamster wrote:
3. Apparently they are more harsh for bigger bumps, potholes etc so is there a risk of rim damage.

Yes, definitely firmer but to be fair I don't ride through potholes. So far, I'm not hearing that "Spoke Ping" that is reminiscent of high tire pressures, low spoke count, bad road surfaces & to much weight but it is early days and there are some ride ahead that will put this to the test.

As a general very early summery I would say privately that;
Issue.1 As good as any all weather tyre.
Issue.2 Some validity, it may even be as high as -4%.
Issue.3 Most valid but I need more K's before I can comment on how much harsher but definitly a firmer ride.

cheers and I hope this helps,
Dizz

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Methinks this deserves a wider audience, I'll be shifting it over to General Discussion.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011