Best bike maintenance book?

fatdudeonabike

Best bike maintenance book?

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:49 pm

I was going to do a maintenance course, but when the Pedal Power course costs about 150 bucks to do all 4 (and 35 bucks just to do basic repairs), and when the local tafe runs a course that costs nearly 200, I thought it was worth getting a maintenance book while I'm making an order from Book Depository anyway.

My bikes a hybrid, so it's more mtb than road bike - but I envisage having a road bike by the end of the year, and I'm not that technically or mechanically minded (in any walk of life) that I need something high level. I just need something general, with good pics and good step by step guides - and to not have to buy a new manual when I get a road bike. (I've heard only great things about the Zinn books, but decided against them for that reason)
Anyone have any experience with any of these books? I had no idea how many there would be!

Chris Sidwells - Bike Repair Manual (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bike-Re ... 1405365499)

Tym Manley - Ultimate Guide to Bicycle Repairs and Upgrades (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Ultimat ... 1781060285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Mark Storey - The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bike-Ma ... 0857331182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Mel Allwood - The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Total-B ... 1847329806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Todd Downs - The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair (Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair for Road & Mountain Bikes) (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Bicycli ... ategory-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

If anything, I'm leaning towards the Downs book, based on what web reviews I could find. But I'd be interested if anyone has any first hand experience to say yay or nay to any of these books.

MarkG

Re: Best bike maintenance book?

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 pm

None of the above.
Zinn is the best of the best.

http://cyclingcentralshop.com.au/Zinn-a ... -1861.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Keep your money in your pocket. Use the Park Tools repair guides.

Also there is a thread here somewhere with links to online copies of some of the best books available.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm

RonK wrote:Keep your money in your pocket. Use the Park Tools repair guides.

Also there is a thread here somewhere with links to online copies of some of the best books available.
I dont like to look at screens for too long, my eyes arent that good (I can usually only sit in front of a computer screen for 20 minutes at a time).
This is the same reason that I wanted a book, as opposed to just watching Youtube videos.

Anyway, I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".
So managed to score that for 32 bucks with Wiggle's free postage for Australia day - and the Pantani book for 11 bucks :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".
So managed to score that for 32 bucks with Wiggle's free postage for Australia day - and the Pantani book for 11 bucks :)
You could always print the odd page for reference at the workbench, but the Big Blue Book is a good practical choice.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 pm

+1 for the two Zinn books, that give technical backgrounds as well as how-to procedures.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi fatdudeonabike,
Just had a not from Amazon , They have on Amazon the Park tools book for around $20 -00
I will try to post the pic.
Last edited by outnabike on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 am

I borrowed zinns book from the library and it is great. The new edition comes out soon so I will buy that when it comes out.

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 am

+ 1 Zinn books
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi fatdudeonabike,
Just had a not from Amazon , They have on Amazon the Park tools book for around $20 -00
I will try to post the pic.
Thanks man - Amazon was the first place I looked when I kept hearing such positive things about it, but I ruled it out when the postage costs for Australia were almost as much as the book itself. I'd actually put a line through the Big Blue Book until I saw that it was pretty cheap on Wiggle, and that they also had free postage - and that they had the Pantani book cheaper than Book Depository (where I had it sitting in my cart and ready to order).

I'll definitely be looking at the Zinn road bike book when I get a road bike - but as I said, when I currently ride a hybrid, I didnt want to end up forking out for both books.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Anyway, I'd read about the Park Tools guides everywhere that I looked at reviews - in particular their "Big Blue Book".
You might find the Park Tools book a bit to roadie orientated for your hybrid. When I had my flat bar I found the Zinn's Mountain Bike book was more suitable and at times I went with the Park Tools. Probably having both is a better option for you.

Andrew

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 pm

I would definitely wait for the latest publications as the reviews here on the Zinn book sound as though no photos and bad tech drawings make it look a bit less than it should. Strange as local comments were positive.
I definitely would have a look at a copy before I bought one.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/resources/book/ ... 03crx.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 pm

outnabike wrote:I would definitely wait for the latest publications as the reviews here on the Zinn book sound as though no photos and bad tech drawings make it look a bit less than it should. Strange as local comments were positive.
4.31 out of 5 for a rating at MTBR seems pretty good to me.

I have always found the drawings good and when I started out I had no clue whatsoever with bicycle maintenance; this was the first book I used. That said if the new edition is close to coming out I would probably wait.

Andrew