Turbo Trainers

zancs

Turbo Trainers

Postby zancs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi, I just bought a Turbo trainer as I broke and dislocated my elbow so the doctor wont let me ride on the road yet until the bones have finished knitting properly, so I'm allowed on a training bike (as I would go ass over on rollers I think). It's been 5 months since being on a bike, but want to try get get the most out of this trainer. Any suggestions on how to get the best use on them? And is it worthwhile having my bike computer and using that to help me get fit again?

r11ss

Re: Turbo Trainers

Postby r11ss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Have a look at the Trainer Road website.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

zancs

Postby zancs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 am

r11ss wrote:Have a look at the Trainer Road website.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
Cheers for that. Had a look on it. Been also looking more what I can do on Strava. Apparently there is something called KICKER that you should be able ride against yourself and others on Strava, looks pretty good. Minimal info on it though, not sure if it's launched yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwE4SyYzm-M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

zancs wrote:Any suggestions on how to get the best use on them? And is it worthwhile having my bike computer and using that to help me get fit again?
That's an entire topic.

Main thing is to ride regularly, and do what you need to to stay motivated to keep riding it regularly. 99% of turbos end up collecting dust.

What actual training you need to do is a function of your individual circumstances. You may need to lift up the front of the bike or the bars to reduce any pressure on your upper body/arms.

There are plenty of interesting services and software that links your data to computer display, if you want to go down that path as a means to provide stimulation and ideas for training variety. Most just watch videos (cycling races, or dedicated indoor training vids like sufferfest), listen to music, and/or do interval style workouts to make the session time efficient.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm

I found just aimlessly riding on a trainer terribly boring and time seems to stand still.

What I find if you can get a few interval plans, or download sufferfest or similar, the time goes much more quickly, and can be quite enjoyable.

zancs

Postby zancs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 pm

ozstriker wrote:I found just aimlessly riding on a trainer terribly boring and time seems to stand still.

What I find if you can get a few interval plans, or download sufferfest or similar, the time goes much more quickly, and can be quite enjoyable.
That's what I am worried about and why I was asking what to look to do. So I can see the improvement happen, will keep me motivated. Thanks for the ideas.

zancs

Postby zancs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: You may need to lift up the front of the bike or the bars to reduce any pressure on your upper body/arms.
Was thinking about that, the downward pressure makes the pull on the bone and I can really feel it. Will have to get onto that.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

I used a broom to keep myself in the right body position when I couldn't use my left arm.

Sturgis

Postby Sturgis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 pm

I use the Spinerval DVDs (Coach Troy), they break things up a bit. Not sure how you would go with just one arm though.

zancs

Postby zancs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 pm

ft_critical wrote:I used a broom to keep myself in the right body position when I couldn't use my left arm.

Wow! Extensive set up you have got going there. I'm well out of a sling and can just rest lightly on the injured arm. I've been on the trainer and so far so good except the bike keeps moving forward on the floorboards. Will have secure it down and/or use a mat underneath I think.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

zancs wrote:
ft_critical wrote:I used a broom to keep myself in the right body position when I couldn't use my left arm.

Wow! Extensive set up you have got going there. I'm well out of a sling and can just rest lightly on the injured arm. I've been on the trainer and so far so good except the bike keeps moving forward on the floorboards. Will have secure it down and/or use a mat underneath I think.

Thanks Zancs. FWIW, I put the broom under the injured shoulder, that way my uninjured hand was correctly on the bars and my upper body was in the correct position. I say this because if you start doing intense work on the trainer and you are not in a balanced position you will get injuries. Some that might be either serious or long term. There was a picture in BA that I saw ages ago of a young pro with a full on roof harness that supported his body weight above the ribs. All I had was a broom. Good luck, heal fast.

zancs

Postby zancs » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm

ft_critical wrote:
zancs wrote:
ft_critical wrote:

Thanks Zancs. FWIW, I put the broom under the injured shoulder, that way my uninjured hand was correctly on the bars and my upper body was in the correct position. I say this because if you start doing intense work on the trainer and you are not in a balanced position you will get injuries. Some that might be either serious or long term. There was a picture in BA that I saw ages ago of a young pro with a full on roof harness that supported his body weight above the ribs. All I had was a broom. Good luck, heal fast.
Cheers. It's been a long healing process. Broken and dislocated elbow. Been 5 months already, hopefully not too long for the screws and plate out and the ok to get back on the road.