Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

jules21

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 pm

warren.suen wrote:give them a call on their Melbourne number.. Elanor has been the only person picking up every time i talk to them but at least she is trying.
i just got onto the LBS who were acting as the delivery agent and assembler, they received it this morning and it should be ready by this w/end. so at least it seems to exist.

philmart

Postby philmart » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Three orders placed via Wiggle.

Thing to note. Even though you may be ordering through an AU website their bank is nonetheless in UK and if paying via Credit Card expect a Overseas Taxation Fee.

Three order to value of AUD700

On one order I had asked for a seat post and in fact received a stem instead. Communciated with them and they stated that I would need to send it back at my own cost and they on receiving would issue the correct part. This could have been weeks, and it was not my incorrect order, it was their own picking mistake!

On another order ordered a skewer set and only the rear arrived. Again contacted them and stated exactly the same thing about freighting it back! How about you just send me the front one I say. That's not how we do business they say. Again it was their fault when picking the goods.

So finally after ranting and raving to customer service for a few days, I ordered the seat post from a site in AU and told them I would not need the seat post. They stated that they could only replace the goods mistakenly sent to me and if I asked for a refund would deduct a restocking fee!! <facepalm>

Anyone end result is I said I would keep the head stem and as it was less than the seat post could they use the difference to courier the front skewer. Fianlly agreed to that and sent almost immediately. Checked the order and it is a skewer SET they have sent.

All in all not a bright bunch. I can understand about having rules to ensure smooth transactions, but when something goes awry, particularly when they have made the mistake, I would have expected a better level of service. Suffice to say I will not be using them in future.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Scary stuff Phil. I brought a few compression items from Wiggle and it was only order they've stuffed up. Gave me a knee instead of an arm piece. I sent it back via Australia post as per their instructions, took 30 days to be processed. I'm pretty sure this was Aus post's fault as I didn't get tracking.

Anyway, they refunded me the postage albeit a few cents short, no biggy and sent me the correct product.

It is worrying though but I suppose you did atleast get some communication with the bad service. In the future, don't be afraid to vocalize an issue on their social networking. It makes sure that they'll 100% get it looked at. I'm still happy with them as the postage here is reliable and their prices are unmatchable. :mrgreen:

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Shpox wrote:vocalize an issue on their social networking
Best use for social networking by far. I called a company 10 times and never got a call back. Post on twitter and the issue was resolved in a week :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

so i finally took possession of my Azzurri Forza Di2. i am impressed, i really like the bike - Azzurri don't seem to have skimped on much. my only complaints are the small handlebars - my other roadie has giant bars and these ones just feel plain weird. it may just be me. i feel like i can squeeze through smaller gaps in the peloton now.. the other 'complaint' is the Vittoria Zaffiro tyres, but you expect cheap tyres on factory bikes, so i wouldn't get too wound up.

so at this stage, i'm pretty happy with the purchase.

however, the thing that i did find less than satisfying was the delivery process. i ordered on Xmas day* and it was apparently ready for pick up from LBS on 20 Jan. not great, and doesn't really seem in the spirit of their delivery guarantee #5. #6 was certainly broken, as i never got a response to an email i sent to them.

my bigger concern was over the handover process at the LBS. i think CE really need to do some more work here. the LBS were at pains to distance themselves from CE and the product. they are apparently paid by CE to assemble the bike (which i didn't know when i made the purchase, i originally assumed i was picking up a box), but the arrangement is clearly a strained one. the stem was badly misaligned, the seat was pointing upwards, the tyres had only 70 psi in them but most frustratingly - the chain hadn't been lubed. not an enjoyable experience riding your new pride and joy home on a 30km commute with no lube on the chain.

frankly, i'm not going to blame the LBS - this is CE's issue. they need to ensure this process works and it didn't in my case.

would i recommend CE to others? yes, i would. you're clearly paying less for minimal service and i suspect that was the message the LBS was trying to give me (although the horse had already bolted). i'd be willing to overlook that pantomime in favour of the value for money i received for the bike, which is a more long term proposition.

however, i may be more cautious in recommending them to someone who was a less experienced rider and uncomfortable twirling spanners. in that case, it may be better to pay the extra for more personalised service from an LBS.

* wasn't happy with the prezzies i got :)

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm

jules21 wrote:so i finally took possession of my Azzurri Forza Di2. i am impressed, i really like the bike - Azzurri don't seem to have skimped on much. my only complaints are the small handlebars - my other roadie has giant bars and these ones just feel plain weird. it may just be me. i feel like i can squeeze through smaller gaps in the peloton now.. the other 'complaint' is the Vittoria Zaffiro tyres, but you expect cheap tyres on factory bikes, so i wouldn't get too wound up.

so at this stage, i'm pretty happy with the purchase.

however, the thing that i did find less than satisfying was the delivery process. i ordered on Xmas day* and it was apparently ready for pick up from LBS on 20 Jan. not great, and doesn't really seem in the spirit of their delivery guarantee #5. #6 was certainly broken, as i never got a response to an email i sent to them.

my bigger concern was over the handover process at the LBS. i think CE really need to do some more work here. the LBS were at pains to distance themselves from CE and the product. they are apparently paid by CE to assemble the bike (which i didn't know when i made the purchase, i originally assumed i was picking up a box), but the arrangement is clearly a strained one. the stem was badly misaligned, the seat was pointing upwards, the tyres had only 70 psi in them but most frustratingly - the chain hadn't been lubed. not an enjoyable experience riding your new pride and joy home on a 30km commute with no lube on the chain.

frankly, i'm not going to blame the LBS - this is CE's issue. they need to ensure this process works and it didn't in my case.

would i recommend CE to others? yes, i would. you're clearly paying less for minimal service and i suspect that was the message the LBS was trying to give me (although the horse had already bolted). i'd be willing to overlook that pantomime in favour of the value for money i received for the bike, which is a more long term proposition.

however, i may be more cautious in recommending them to someone who was a less experienced rider and uncomfortable twirling spanners. in that case, it may be better to pay the extra for more personalised service from an LBS.

* wasn't happy with the prezzies i got :)
Explain why it is CE's fault that your lbs did a shoddy job of assembling your bike? Also every new chain I have ever bought was pre-lubed from the factory.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

antipodean wrote:Explain why it is CE's fault that your lbs did a shoddy job of assembling your bike? Also every new chain I have ever bought was pre-lubed from the factory.
they're not my LBS, they're the delivery/assembly agent engaged by CE. my contract was with CE - they're answerable to any problems with the sale.

i've bought and fitted many chains. but this oil seems to be applied to protect against oxidisation in transport/storage, not to serve as a lubricant. it's too thin for that purpose. that's my view, anyway. also this chain was pretty much bone dry - as if they'd wiped it down?

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

jules21 wrote:
antipodean wrote:Explain why it is CE's fault that your lbs did a shoddy job of assembling your bike? Also every new chain I have ever bought was pre-lubed from the factory.
they're not my LBS, they're the delivery/assembly agent engaged by CE. my contract was with CE - they're answerable to any problems with the sale.

i've bought and fitted many chains. but this oil seems to be applied to protect against oxidisation in transport/storage, not to serve as a lubricant. it's too thin for that purpose. that's my view, anyway. also this chain was pretty much bone dry - as if they'd wiped it down?
Isn't it the delivery/assembly agents job to assemble the bike correctly? I still cannot understand why you are blaming CE for your issues.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 pm

antipodean wrote:Isn't it the delivery/assembly agents job to assemble the bike correctly? I still cannot understand why you are blaming CE for your issues.
that's like your LBS saying it's the job of Mr Lee on the Shimano production line to assemble a component on your bike properly and them refusing to rectify a fault with it, despite you having purchased the bike from the LBS.

the responsibility lies with the entity you entered into contract with. blame is not the issue.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm

jules21 wrote:
antipodean wrote:Isn't it the delivery/assembly agents job to assemble the bike correctly? I still cannot understand why you are blaming CE for your issues.
that's like your LBS saying it's the job of Mr Lee on the Shimano production line to assemble a component on your bike properly and them refusing to rectify a fault with it, despite you having purchased the bike from the LBS.

the responsibility lies with the entity you entered into contract with. blame is not the issue.
Why didn't you ask the LBS to assemble the bike properly after seeing the poor job they had done? Have you told CE that their agent is doing a terrible job? The factory lube on Shimano chains is fine and shouldn't be wiped off.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

biker jk wrote:Why didn't you ask the LBS to assemble the bike properly after seeing the poor job they had done?
despite all my posting on here, i am actually pretty busy. those problems were of a nature that it was easier for me to fix at home, later. i don't think that excuses them though.
biker jk wrote:Have you told CE that their agent is doing a terrible job? The factory lube on Shimano chains is fine and shouldn't be wiped off.
no, and the chain was, for whatever reason, pretty much bone dry.

the_big_fella

Postby the_big_fella » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I had a great experience with Chain Reaction Cycles recently.
I ordered a set of wheels and various other bits in early January, on a Wednesday, and the package arrived the following Wednesday. This was with the free delivery option.
I was very impressed with this as the last time I used c r c the package took two weeks to deliver, so hopefully they have improved their delivery times....
On top of this they gave me more "c r c Money" vouchers...it will be tough finding more stuff to get.... :D :D :D
And as they say (whoever they may be), "you've got to spend money to save money"! :) :) :)

reefer

Postby reefer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 pm

My first order from Wiggle: Nuun electrolytes.

Ordered 14th Jan, delivered 24th Jan.

Very happy as it was normal delivery, untracked.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Wiggle $350 order - I forgot to put apartment number (entirely my fault) customer service weren't very helpful. I thought it came with tracking and insurance for items over $150 but apparently mine didn't because it was shipped in Aus from their warehouse here. Fortunately the lady at the post sorting facility was good and set it aside when it turned up.

Bums on Bikes Strathpine - Mark was helpful over the phone and arranged everything to ship new bike from QLD to Melbourne. Bike was well packaged and arrived safe and sound. Very small gripe they were 2 days (+weekend) late in shipping it from when they said they would. However it's here now safe and sound and I couldn't be happier! 8)

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 am

decided to give CE one more try. ordered some tubes monday morning, they didnt pick the order until thursday afternoon. At a time when most places will pick same day if in by 1 or 2pm, that's hopeless. Sorry CE, unless I hear that things have changed I won't be ordering again

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm

So, I'm fat - but after a car nearly killed me less than a week after getting my bike, I decided that I'd have to cave and get proper cycling gear.
It's pretty slim pickings for English-language websites that cater for bigger riders. I found 4. And I stupidly went with the cheapest one.

If anyone ever considers ordering from Cycle-clothing, let me know, and I'll come to your house, I'll slap you in the face, and I'll take your money for nothing.

That's essentially what they've done to me... 2 jerseys, I ordered bigger than I needed because I didn't want skin tight. Despite giving myself an extra 10-15cm, they don't even fit around my chest, where their measurements were taken. On top of that, the 4xl was smaller than the 3xl!
One pair of bike shorts and a pair of MTB shorts the same size - and yet the size of the lining in the MTB shorts is great, while the bike shorts are tiny. So the MTB shorts are fine, but a little loose - which would be fine, if the belt that comes with the shorts actually tightened. :roll:

0/4 on my first attempt at bicycle clothing... And despite the sizing guide, and not my ordering clearly being the problem (not to mention a faulty belt), these douchebags want me to pay for international registered postage before issuing a refund.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:So, I'm fat - but after a car nearly killed me less than a week after getting my bike, I decided that I'd have to cave and get proper cycling gear.
It's pretty slim pickings for English-language websites that cater for bigger riders. I found 4. And I stupidly went with the cheapest one.
read a similar post on another forum from you today me thinks....

3 wiggle orders on monday night. got the slip saying dhl have one of them now. a balance bike ordered for my god daughter in canberra also arrived. other order will take a while (out of stock).

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

jasonc wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:So, I'm fat - but after a car nearly killed me less than a week after getting my bike, I decided that I'd have to cave and get proper cycling gear.
read a similar post on another forum from you today me thinks....
And hopefully there are now three forums full of bike riders who know not to go near these hacks. I'm pretty sure this is the real reason that social media became so popular :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:It's pretty slim pickings for English-language websites that cater for bigger riders. I found 4. And I stupidly went with the cheapest one.
A quick post here would have put you on the right track.

It's false economy to buy cheap cycling clothes. What price do you put on your comfort. And what is the worth of cheap gear if it doesn't last.

Cycle gear sizes is a minefield. Euro sizes are always on the small side, then there is club cut and racing cut. US sizes are more generous, and there are plenty US sites with big sizes (there are a lot of big people there), but shipping from the US is usually higher.

The best place to start is Prendas Cyclismo. They cater for larger sizes and if you are uncertain you can send your vital statistics and they will advise.

Their service is excellent and prices are good, but you will have to let a few moths out of your wallet. And since the seasons are reversed, their end of season sales coincide with the start of our seasons.

And returns are no problem, but yes if you order the wrong size you will have to pay the return postage

Of the US sites I find Bicyclinghub has a good range and reasonable shipping charges.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

timgrainger

Postby timgrainger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm

I can't speak highly enough of Wiggle. Ordered new track pump Monday afternoon (Aus time); delivered to regional Victoria Friday morning (Aus time). Standard shipping - I'm too tight to go for premium/priority!

That said, the pump came in an absolutely huge box - easily big enough to package a pair of wheels - and I have to wonder what sort of mark-ups they must (still) make if they can afford to send such bulk!

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Yes , Cycling express meets expectations. Against better judgement I thought I'd try their price match with wiggle for ultegra chain and cassette. Price difference was about $50. Haven't heard back from them. Is the price match just a gimmick that they can choose to ignore? What if they say, but we were busy, January etc etc.
assuming they get back to me will they match price from 2 weeks ago .....
Can't wait.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

timgrainger wrote: That said, the pump came in an absolutely huge box - easily big enough to package a pair of wheels - and I have to wonder what sort of mark-ups they must (still) make if they can afford to send such bulk!
Which pump did you get and is it any good? I'm looking to buy one on wiggle at the moment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
timgrainger wrote: That said, the pump came in an absolutely huge box - easily big enough to package a pair of wheels - and I have to wonder what sort of mark-ups they must (still) make if they can afford to send such bulk!
Which pump did you get and is it any good? I'm looking to buy one on wiggle at the moment.
get a lezyne with the ABS valve. thank me later

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 pm

OK I've finally received my order from Cycling Express that was placed on the 17th of December.

Really dissapointed with their service as all it takes is a quick email to indicate a potential delay, and i think that was the first and last opportunity i give them so much for a aussie alternative.

Put a order in last night on Wiggle (28/01/13) and it was picked this morning waiting for dispatch, will update when i receive the items

boss

Postby boss » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 pm

warren.suen wrote:OK I've finally received my order from Cycling Express that was placed on the 17th of December.

Really dissapointed with their service as all it takes is a quick email to indicate a potential delay, and i think that was the first and last opportunity i give them so much for a aussie alternative.

Put a order in last night on Wiggle (28/01/13) and it was picked this morning waiting for dispatch, will update when i receive the items
Sucks that you've had a bad experience with CE. I hear that Cell are a great alternative if you want to shop Australian.

I find that if I order from Cell on a Monday, the gear is here by Wednesday.