Help with buying a new bike

eveready2

Help with buying a new bike

Postby eveready2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi All
I hope this is the right place and not too repetitive. I am looking to buy a new road bike, I currently ride my Dad's Rigi that he got second hand. It good but I am getting some aches and pains on longer rides. I now realize I need a bike fitted to me. I am about 162cm, 59kg, good general fitness, I live in the snowy mountains so there are some defiant killer hills, I want to work my way to 100km ride or doing a tri. I am will to spend around $2000. I have looked at a trek, but I am just getting confused. What are the key things I should be looking for? Any one in the ACT recommend a good LBS? Also am I getting a good trip commuter or using my phone?

Thank for your time, Dale :D

Howzat

Re: Help with buying a new bike

Postby Howzat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Check out the forum topics, including this one http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... f=9&t=8617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are plenty of good bike stores in the ACT - you'll find some in here http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Fyshwick, Braddon, and Phillip have collections of stores to visit, all well-regarded.

For your budget you should be able to get completely set up on a carbon-framed bike (light) with Shimano 105 groupset (same shifting as more expensive groupsets) including shoes and accessories. Trek are good value, but the good news is it is a competitive market so no brand can get too far off the value-for-money curve. You can pretty much go into the stores and choose the bike in your price range in the colours you like the best.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm

In addition, you will probably be better off looking at bikes that come with a compact crankset (eg. 50/34 gears on the front - instead of standard 53/39).

This will make life on the hills much easier for you and if you are still finding it tough you could look at putting an 11-28 cassette on the back (so for the killer hills you can ride your 34/28 gear).

Whichever bike you get you want to make sure it is the right size for you....which a helpful LBS should be able to assist with. Then it is worth having the bike properly fitted to you so everything is adjusted to suit your riding style and body dimensions and flexibility. This will make sure you are comfortable on the bike no matter the terrain or distance and from there you can build your own engine until your technique outgrows the bike - or upgraditis bites.

I also wouldn't completely rule out aluminium-framed bikes if you come across one that fits you and feels great to ride. Carbon is nice but it isn't everything, particularly at the lower price bracket of the carbon market....though in saying that there is nothing wrong with a $2K carbon bike.

You will likely find that the wheels that come with these bikes are pretty stock standard wheels that will be heavyish and not particularly aero. They will be perfectly fine to start with but once your experience grows you will want to start looking at better wheels. The great thing about wheels is that if you splurge on a nice set of wheels, then down the track you buy a new bike you can use your u-beaut wheels on the new bike.

Good luck on the search from your new bike...
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Dale, I bought a Trek Madone 4.5 WSD (Womens Specific Design) a year ago for $2000. It's a full carbon fibre bike with Shimano 105 groupset and I'm very happy with it. The frame is light and stiff, the groupset is durable and shifts smoothly. I got a WSD bike because I'm small - 158cm & 47kgs, and it felt right for me, but you can also get the standard Trek Madone 4.5 (unisex) if you prefer. I travel about 200kms a week on my Trek. Other brands that i have heard have good bang for buck are Giant and Merida but there are loads out there.
The number one thing you should do is to make sure you go for a test ride first! In my opinion, this is the most important thing. The bike could have a price tag of $20,000 but if you don't feel comfy on it, you won't ride it.
Once you find a bike that feels good to you, start worrying about components etc. remember, if you buy the best frame your budget will allow you can always upgrade the components and wheels later if you want to. Having said that, if you can upgrade the wheels for only a small extra cost when you buy the bike, it might save you some money doing it down the track.
I can't recommend a good LBS in the act as I live in Sydney.
A computer to me is a personal thing. Some people want all the stats - heart rate, maps, computer connectivity etc. I opted for a Bontrager Node 2 computer which uses a wireless sensor that comes built into the Trek frame (you have to buy the sensor though to put in the frame it doesn't come with the bike). It is good enough for me and does do heart rate, speed, cadence, distance etc but not maps. For maps I just use my iPhone. It was about $100, computers/GPS units that do maps like the Garmin series can cost a few hundred and are probably for people a little more competitive than me! So it really depends on what you want to use the computer for! The strava app for mobiles has a lot of functionality and is basically free.
Good luck.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

eveready2

Postby eveready2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. Howszat, I have had a read through those forums, good info.
Playing the waiting game, researching a bike etc. is such a enthusiasm killer. I so want to go buy, I am restraining myself to make sure I buy the right one. I plan on going to a few different shops, one Saturday, and try try trying some out. However I do think the other hubby and little people may get tried of mummy trying so many :P I will let you know what I end up with
Just keep pushing Pusscake!