Gerro on oz day

liamb

Gerro on oz day

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Other than frenchies at the TDF how many rider would have won on their countries day riding for their countries team???

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Purt

Re: Gerro on oz day

Postby Purt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Was it just me or did Slagter give that to Gerro?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:08 pm

No. Gero had the extra oomf is all.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:13 pm

The crowd loved it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't think the victory was presented on a platter - but Gerrans was just able to pull more out against Slagter who was putting in a tremendous effort but just couldn't reach up the extra notch. Gerrans also wanted this win and I believe had focussed on this for longer and was able to covert it to a reality.

--

I mentioned in the Channel 9 Cycling thread that I missed seeing the rest of the peloton, as the helicopter hovered over the trees search for Gerrans after he took victory, I was expecting to see the other riders come in to cross the line. Instead we had the latent time, a number of repeats and never saw the other riders come in which is pretty usual in cycling coverage.

Looked like a great atmosphere on the ground - and was an exciting stage with a lot of potentials along the way.
Cycling is in my BNA

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Purt wrote:Was it just me or did Slagter give that to Gerro?
It's just you... He wouldve been an idiot to be giving up time bonuses at this stage of the race.

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 pm

wow this post went off topic in 1 post, moderators should I change the title??? to was Who else has been given a free first place on their countries day riding for their countries team??? :P
Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Purt

Postby Purt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 pm

liamb wrote:wow this post went off topic in 1 post, moderators should I change the title??? to was Who else has been given a free first place on their countries day riding for their countries team??? :P
Bill
My bad, I read it as a rhetorical question. Just thought you were excited. lol

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 pm

and if its off topic, my best memory of this TDU will be seeing Jensy, Stuey, and a few other riders handing beers around on the second ride up willunga then seeing every group after that getting a beer every few hundred meters, and most of the guys were having a sip and passing on.

Bill

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:35 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Purt wrote:Was it just me or did Slagter give that to Gerro?
It's just you... He wouldve been an idiot to be giving up time bonuses at this stage of the race.
Slater was all over Gero's wheel with 125 to go and did not even look like he was even trying to get around. I reckon Gero was go so fast he just was happy to hold on for a tow
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

liamb wrote:wow this post went off topic in 1 post, moderators should I change the title??? to was Who else has been given a free first place on their countries day riding for their countries team??? :P
Bill
Sorry! I can't think of too many tours outside of the TDU that coincide with that countries national day... I think that's why it's a difficult question...

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:37 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Bill
Sorry! I can't think of too many tours outside of the TDU that coincide with that countries national day... I think that's why it's a difficult question...
Apart from the TdF and Bastille Day...

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

high_tea wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:
Bill
Apart from the TdF and Bastille Day...
Kind of implicit given the OP ;)

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm

True, my bad.

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 pm

I guess then I will need to review all the results of the TDF on Bastille Day. Possibly in the past is more likely when it was dominated by euro riders, as it is now a very much world tour.

Bill

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 pm

David Moncoutié in 2005. There are stories about that he might not have doped either.