Hill climbing in Thailand around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Arlberg

Hill climbing in Thailand around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Postby Arlberg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Has anyone ridden the hills around Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai in Thailand?

I'm planning a weeks holiday in either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. I want hire a bicycle and do some day trips (not touring) into the hills in either or both of these areas.

Just wondering if anyone has been to either place and can recommend firstly, a good place to hire a bicycle, and secondly, some good hilly paved roads to train on while I'm there.

TimW

Re: Hill climbing in Thailand around Chiang Mai and Chiang R

Postby TimW » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Just found this on a google search, we did a bike trip in phuket in 2011 and loved it.Tim
http://www.spiceroads.com/destinations/ ... pgod8xkAmg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractio ... g_Mai.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.activethailand.com/cycling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I did a day trip up to one of the hilltribe villages from Chiangrai a couple of years ago. Organised it through Fat Free bike shop in the middle of town. They gave me one of their bike mechanics (a keen rider and from the village that we rode up to) for the day for a very reasonable cost and also a good trek mtb. We rode out along the river then up some steepish mountain roads, had local lunch and then back down singletrack to the river and back up the other side of the river to CR. First time that I have cramped on a bike. Great day out.
Tony

colenargo

Postby colenargo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 am

Around Chiang Rai there are some really good climbs, my most favorite is Doi Tung which is about 40km from the town...Its a great ride up to the gardens, then there is another shorter very steep section up to the top.

colenargo

Postby colenargo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:26 am

You could try Northern Bike in Chaing Rai for bike hiring, if not they should be able to direct you to somewhere who does.

Northern Bike
114/1 Moo 5 Phahon Yothin Road (Hwy 1)
T. Rim Kok A. Mueang Chiang Rai

Tel. 053-702-564, 081-530-2269

colenargo

Postby colenargo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 am

update... In chiang rai as well as doi Tung there is phu chi fa. In chiang mai they have doi sutep the some g loop and doi inthanon which is the tallest in Thailand rising to 2500metres