Re: Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

Postby sumgy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:04 pm

What a whinge fest.
More riding, less whinging.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 pm

RonK wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Still doing a good job considering the mess that Anna Bligh left this state in.
Better not fall off your bike then Lukeyboy, or you may discover what happens to patients when 20,000 health workers are sacked. :roll:
Private health care here :)

It's just like alot of different Government departments that overtime fat builds up in certain areas be it from changes in workplace operations (trained people/certificates needed, work place health and safety changes, merging of departments, general work changes like software/machine/technology advances/prodecure changes etc) through out the years yet these practices/jobs remain adding costs but in different areas. What I find sad is the series of events in the public health sector leading up to it such as the ongoing and costly payrole debarcle, the multimillion dollar fraud and inefficent work practices that has got to the part where its affecting front line staff. That's all before considering the debit that the state is in.

There's no reason why they couldn't have broadcasted the Premiere's speech after the coverage or on one of the other channels like GEM and GO. The coverage overall has been decent but it could have been alot better in my books. One thing that has been annoying me are the interviews during the coverage. I don't want to see the video of the bloke they interviewed 5 hours earlier. The split screen was okay but there's nothing wrong with just having a audio interview only.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm

At the risk of outing myself as a secret nine operative sent to infiltrate the cycling community via cycling related forums.

The only thing that nine have any control over is the scheduling of the broadcast and the stuffed shirt token nine bloke at the start and end of the broadcast.

Everything else is produced by a third party and on sold to nine.

Regarding the meagre budget they have I think the company have done a pretty good job with the production. With regards to the scheduling of the broadcast I think nine have been well below par. Why are the replays so late, Why is there only 1 and why is there no replay tonight?

And totally off topic.

Queensland will find out soon enough that slashing public funding and infrastructure is a cynical vote grabbing exercise but has no long term economical benefit what so ever.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm

jimsheedy wrote:At the risk of outing myself as a secret nine operative sent to infiltrate the cycling community via cycling related forums.

The only thing that nine have any control over is the scheduling of the broadcast and the stuffed shirt token nine bloke at the start and end of the broadcast.

Everything else is produced by a third party and on sold to nine.

Regarding the meagre budget they have I think the company have done a pretty good job with the production. With regards to the scheduling of the broadcast I think nine have been well below par. Why are the replays so late, Why is there only 1 and why is there no replay tonight?

And totally off topic.

Queensland will find out soon enough that slashing public funding and infrastructure is a cynical vote grabbing exercise but has no long term economical benefit what so ever.

Hi.
2013 Santos Tour Down Under - Highlights

26-Jan-2013, 11:50pm - 12:50am (60 minutes)
WIN Television QLD, Regional Qld

Highlights from The Santos Tour Down Under. A UCI World Tour cycling race, held in Adelaide, South Australia.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 am

On this morning's Weekend Today show the sports reporter referred to Slagster not Slagter. It was also how they misspelled his name on the screen. Pretty poor really.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 am

Sunrise, to its credit :shock: did not mention TDU once in sport and, on the screen ticker, ran the English Premier League football results but again, no mention of TDU! And 7's Mark Beretta is a cycling ambassador, ferchrissake!
It annoys me no end that 7, 9 and 10 all have their supplementary digital channels but can't do something like switch TDU, V8 Supercars, swimming comps, gymnastics, etc to them if they have other sporting commetments on their main channels.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49 am

biker jk wrote:On this morning's Weekend Today show the sports reporter referred to Slagster not Slagter. It was also how they misspelled his name on the screen. Pretty poor really.

When have you seen anything on one of those breakfast/morning programs that isn't of the poorest quality aimed at the lowest common denominator? Not the place to look for quality television.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:03 am

Did anyone else notice with yesterdays coverage that we almost watched more ads then actual cycling ?
And once again can they tell Tim Gilbert to p*ss off?

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Looks like today's telecast has been moved back to Gem.

Has anyone seen any mention it was being moved.

Cheers

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm watching it on 9
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

On the main win tv channel where I am now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Looks like it's just us sunny Queenslanders they have changed channels on. We have another news break on win.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:58 pm

O look. It's raining in Queensland. Like it does every year at about this time. Woop-dee. This is news how??

Can we get back to the cycling now??

EDIT: GEM to the rescue! That's more like it!! :)
Last edited by JessicaAlba on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 pm

ozzymac wrote:Looks like today's telecast has been moved back to Gem.

Cheers

The regular channel is covering the flood situation, Ch 9 must have copped a huge amount of 'feedback' regarding their decision to cut to Can-do at a crucial stage in yesterday's race and switched the coverage to Gem...smart move!
Lisa

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:02 pm

marinmomma wrote:
ozzymac wrote:Looks like today's telecast has been moved back to Gem.

Cheers

The regular channel is covering the flood situation, Ch 9 must have copped a huge amount of 'feedback' regarding their decision to cut to Can-do at a crucial stage in yesterday's race and switched the coverage to Gem...smart move!
Yep, see edit. Smart move indeed.

I hate Can-do more than any other politician and seeing his ugly mug with 30ks to go yesterday almost cost me a new flat screen!! Bloke is a dead set muppet.

Anyway, enough typing, more couching :lol:
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 pm

And once again can they tell Tim Gilbert to p*ss off?
Tim was pretty excited today,i think he's glad its all over. :mrgreen:

gorby

Postby gorby » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm

i just wanted to add my voice to the crowd so if someone from channel 9 is looking they may just hear us say get out of cycling before you destroy something great. That channel 9 commentator no idea what his name is but he is no bike rider just some bloke off the street, i had to turn the sound down every time he started to talk.

boss

Postby boss » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 pm

sumgy wrote:What a whinge fest.
More riding, less whinging.
+1,000,000,000,000

This thread is straight from the first world problem playbook.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

I thought the coverage was very good overall. And it's the most cycling in Australia we've ever had on live free to air TV, and has given the sport far more exposure to the general viewing public than ever before.

Having a commentator new to the sport as part of the team is a great idea. Why would we not want to create a new fan of the sport who has on air presence in sports broadcasting this country (and sees crowds bigger than for football games)?

Having marketplace competition for the right to broadcast cycling is the best thing we can have. Makes everyone lift their game.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Well I don't know about that. If nine paid more money to the SA government for the broadcast rights it certainly didn't go into the production budget, which was the same meagre amount as last year.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:42 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:I thought the coverage was very good overall.
I agree.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: and has given the sport far more exposure to the general viewing public than ever before.
Probably though Cadel gave it a good crack by winning the tdf :)

The title of this thread is a bit cringe worthy I reckon.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I thought it was decent and exceeded my expectations of what channel 9 was going to deliver.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

I have only seen a little bit of the telecast as I am at the TDU and been at the stages.

What I have seen has been better then I expected in terms of the live stuff. Still think it would be nice to have some highlights in prime time. I will say that ch9 covers in there news bulletin had been abismal. They have given the tennis more time and they are not even showing it.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 pm

MarkG wrote:I thought it was decent and exceeded my expectations of what channel 9 was going to deliver.
I thought it was good for the general public, too, for whom Paul and Phil are better suited than the Eurosports guys.

In the end, cycling got a chance to reach out as a spectator sport in this fragmented market.

Just look at the netballers, who despite the high participation rate in this country have just lost their FTA TV coverage a month out from their season start.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

clackers wrote:
MarkG wrote:I thought it was decent and exceeded my expectations of what channel 9 was going to deliver.
I thought it was good for the general public, too, for whom Paul and Phil are better suited than the Eurosports guys.

In the end, cycling got a chance to reach out as a spectator sport in this fragmented market.

Just look at the netballers, who despite the high participation rate in this country have just lost their FTA TV coverage a month out from their season start.

Overall the nine telecast was fine except for the couple of programing mistakes concerning going to news breaks at very bad times of a race and then swapping channels without any sort of notification.

As for netball....

Isn't that women's netball?

How many other woman's sports get shown on TV?

I think that is something else that needs looked at here.

Cheers

PS: But please never let nine get hold of the TDF......