Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I believe they have opened up the bike way again. I rode past the fencing at the library turnoff and it had been removed. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

by BNA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

BNA

Postby CapitalMistake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Had my first outing on the KBB today, absolutely loved it.

I'm originally from Yorkshire in the UK, to have such a nice cycleway so close to the city is awesome. Fortunately, I live just 2 minutes are from the Nundah raceway so will be venturing out on it more often than not. Rather than carrying on to Nudgee Beach, I turned off through the Wetlands. Being a Pom, every little rustle in the undergrowth had me on full alert (still adapting to Australian wildlife), but was a really nice ride. I ride a MTB which is obviously close to a must for the Wetlands bikeway leg.

Again, what an amazing bikeway the KBB really is. Not even one magpie attack either, always a bonus!
CapitalMistake

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 am

CapitalMistake wrote:Had my first outing on the KBB today, absolutely loved it.

I'm originally from Yorkshire in the UK, to have such a nice cycleway so close to the city is awesome. Fortunately, I live just 2 minutes are from the Nundah raceway so will be venturing out on it more often than not. Rather than carrying on to Nudgee Beach, I turned off through the Wetlands. Being a Pom, every little rustle in the undergrowth had me on full alert (still adapting to Australian wildlife), but was a really nice ride. I ride a MTB which is obviously close to a must for the Wetlands bikeway leg.

Again, what an amazing bikeway the KBB really is. Not even one magpie attack either, always a bonus!

Welcome capitalmistake.... the only magpies ive encounter from Grange to Sandgate are i) the swinburne-mauler and ii) at the back of the Entertainment Centre, in the car park near that trainstation.

The only place ive come across a few snakes was on the bike path at the back of the golf course... but it was a medium sized brown, so gave it a wiiiide berth

The worst thing at the moment (apart from the swinburne-assassin) are the swarms of bugs between Grange and Toombul. Have had more than a few pre-breakfast meals while travelling at a bit of speed.

For me, the ride from Wilston to Nudgee Beach is a perfect short run that i try to do most other days. Occasionally turning left into the wetlands to head to Sandgate, all on a road bike. Im still amazed that i can start from inner city, ride to Nudgee beach, feel miles from nowhere when i walk out onto the mudflats amongst the mangroves. Back on the bike and be home for breakfast.

Enjoy
chop wood
landscapecadmonkey

Postby CapitalMistake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:18 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:
Welcome capitalmistake.... the only magpies ive encounter from Grange to Sandgate are i) the swinburne-mauler and ii) at the back of the Entertainment Centre, in the car park near that trainstation.

The only place ive come across a few snakes was on the bike path at the back of the golf course... but it was a medium sized brown, so gave it a wiiiide berth

The worst thing at the moment (apart from the swinburne-assassin) are the swarms of bugs between Grange and Toombul. Have had more than a few pre-breakfast meals while travelling at a bit of speed.

For me, the ride from Wilston to Nudgee Beach is a perfect short run that i try to do most other days. Occasionally turning left into the wetlands to head to Sandgate, all on a road bike. Im still amazed that i can start from inner city, ride to Nudgee beach, feel miles from nowhere when i walk out onto the mudflats amongst the mangroves. Back on the bike and be home for breakfast.

Enjoy

Thanks for the welcome!

I spoke far to soon. Went out again this morning, and suffered at the hands (or beak) of a nasty little 'pie. To be honest, it was on the corner of Vernon St/Melton Road in Nundah, which is on my way to joining the KBB. Again, the ride was great.

If anyone finds a piece of ear knocking about, please let me know!
CapitalMistake

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Take your snorkel !!

The depth marker at the northern end of the crit track was at .6 of a metre this morning at 9am.

Once the water starts going over the axles it's time to go home.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby winstonw » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Take your snorkel !!

The depth marker at the northern end of the crit track was at .6 of a metre this morning at 9am.

Once the water starts going over the axles it's time to go home.

Was talking to a guy in Nundah this morning who had ridden through KBB, Wetlands, and along Sandgate foreshore around 730am, on a CX. He said the worst was the foreshore, as the wind was well over 40knots. and a storm surge and 945am high tide had the water breaking onto the grass.

I had a look about an hour ago, and there's a lot of trees along the front of Flinders Pde that have been uprooted. The wind and gusts are unfrikkinbelievable. BOM obs say 45knot wind and 50+ knot (100kph) gusts at nearby Redcliffe. Certainly felt like it. There were lots of large jellyfish on the west side of Flinders Pde near Dougs Cafe, about 60 metres inland.
winstonw

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

1.8m at Sandgate road.
Lukeyboy

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Might have something to do with the 190+mm since 9am ;)

Haven't been down to the brook this far up (Everton Park) but imagine its steaming.
Dan

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Webster road - Boondall Wetlands is under water. I rode along the bikeway and it only had water over parts. 2 hours later it was flooded and 1.8m under water. The wetlands had multiple trees downed across it. I just missed a falling branch from one of the trees (wasn't big, just made up of lots of small twigs). Nudgee Road had debris all over it. Including very large rocks from the retaining wall (was down to 1 zig zag lane). Further along the bikeway towards the crit circuit there was debris such as some foam right up to 2m long bits of wood and a car wheel including rim. I went flying down Sandgate road into a headwind. Normally I can easily hit 60kph but struggled to press 20kph. I was just amazed at how wide the waters rose and how quick it did.

Its from a while ago but when I was there it was still visually rising quickly. Sorry about the size if there are too large for some users. I'm posting this through a VPN because as you guessed it I have no power. Yay!
Lukeyboy

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Nice pics there Luke - exactly what I expected to see!
Dan

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Washout at Toombul.

Lukeyboy

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Large amounts of sand was being removed this morning around the back of stafford city and the grange. It was still quite a mess... But rideable...
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Hamster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Coming from the Northern side it's blocked off this morning (6 Feb) near the Boondall Environment Centre with a sign advising of fallen trees. :evil: :cry:
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Hamster wrote:Coming from the Northern side it's blocked off this morning (6 Feb) near the Boondall Environment Centre with a sign advising of fallen trees. :evil: :cry:

Its still blocked off? Might have to get out there with my chainsaw. Its only a couple trees over the pathway. A couple trees in weird positions but no different than they were before the winds.

From the 30th of Jan. The first tree has been down since I went through on the 27th.
Lukeyboy

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:34 am

The path through the Boondall Wetlands is now OPEN :D :D :D
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby ray » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Hamster wrote:The path through the Boondall Wetlands is now OPEN :D :D :D

Is there any standing water through the Bondall Wetlands? I went as far as Nudgee Road yesterday from the Nundah Cri and on my way back the bikepath was beginning to flood due to the rising tide.
ray

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

No standing water. But there are wet patches and that 10-20m bit where its mega slippery with mud/twigs/thin twiggy leaves about 500m in on the Boondall side (You know the part that always floods when theres a sprinkle of rain/a 1cm wave). That being said today I didn't drop below 33kph through that area.
Lukeyboy

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm

I did boondall wetlands on Saturday morning and had to ride through 3 inches of standing water at the peak of high tide... Love the adventure... :-)
It had been fine on the way out, but very damp on the way back... Totally traversable though, all the way from kedron brook road to redcliffe and back...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Sigh. Out of all the bikeway the council found the perfect spots for new painted distance markers in the boondall wetlands leg.

They have finally got rid of those death traps at Kedron. When you're flying along at night you don't notice them until its too late. It was made worse as the lights next to them didn't work for months and that was even before the flood washed them out.

The pathway bits have all been cemented over with the final bits being done today.

Work has also just started on repairing the washout next to the railway line at Toombul.
Lukeyboy

Postby brett.hooker » Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks for the update!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby grpaxto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Looks like the new Gateway Bikeway bridge over Shulz Canal near the hedley crit track is going up quickly. Will be a good connector into Eagle Farm/Gateway once finished.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name ... -link.aspx
grpaxto

Previous

Return to Queensland