Peugeot Appreciation Society

munga

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby munga » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 pm

duh. yoplait

frog

Postby frog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:^^ Yes they have a lot of cool factor about them 8) I've got the Hurricane model and love it.
I'd love to see some pictures of your Hurricane? I just picked up a frame for pocket money, needs a respray though.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 pm

frog wrote:
jbchybridrider wrote:^^ Yes they have a lot of cool factor about them 8) I've got the Hurricane model and love it.
I'd love to see some pictures of your Hurricane? I just picked up a frame for pocket money, needs a respray though.
This is from the TDU today :D Just the type of bike needed for traversing the inner course for photos.
There's some other pic's earlier in the thread. "Double :D "

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Heres my Peugeot Izoard with all original parts except for the front wheel(Aussie Velocity half-deep V?) Replaced the old tubes and tyres(which surprising still held air) with Zaffiro tyres, and the hoods to black as the white ones were sticky. The underside of the top tube was crazy rusty, and Ive removed and repainted the underside. You guys prob wouldnt be able to tell if I hadnt said anything.

Probably tmw, I will get another Peugeot, the Tourmalet in gun metal with the 300EX groupset.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Looks like you've got the white RX-100 groupset apart from the front brakes. If so, is there any white part on the front derailleur? Mine had a Sachs and though I have replaced it with an RX-100, I have not been able to find the white version. I was able to get NOS white hoods from some guy in Poland.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 pm

DarrylH wrote:Looks like you've got the white RX-100 groupset apart from the front brakes. If so, is there any white part on the front derailleur? Mine had a Sachs and though I have replaced it with an RX-100, I have not been able to find the white version. I was able to get NOS white hoods from some guy in Poland.
Nah, its a full white RX100 groupset. The whites just a bit hard to see in the pic for the front derailleur and front brakes, but they are white. On the front derailleur, its the pivoting part(where the cable is held). You can see it in the pic if you look carefully. Ive done my best for the white hoods. Fuel(petroleum) to burn off a layer of rubber, and they were nice and white. However, they were still sticky, so I sprayed them with isopropanol to dry them out. If I soak them, I reckon theyll turn out good. They are slightly tacky now, but after more rides I reckon itll go back to what it was.

Anyway, you wanna swap groupsets? I was actually after the bare metal version. Everything is fine on mine, except the barrel adjusters on the brakes are seized. Dunno about the rear derailleur one. Maybe I should WD40 it.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I only have the Front derailleur in silver, the rest is white in good nick. There is plenty of silver RX100 available - I was very lucky with the FD as Jensen must
have found 1 in a stocktake and put it up for $4.99 but by the time I ordered, it was priced at $1.99 - brand new. Wouldn't mind the FD if you replace it - other bits would be of interest as spares.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Damn thats a crazy price. My parts were cheap as well. The whole Peugeot cost me $65.

Ill be building up a carbon bike using the vintage RX100 groupset, and thats the only reason why I want silver. But seeing the rarity, I guess Ill just use the groupset, and touch it up. White on the driveside crank is wearing away as you can see. Some white has scrubbed away on the rear brakes. And most of the screws are rusty. Will either track down replacements, or just find the equivalent bolts and nuts.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm

The Tourmalet finally turned up after a mishap with Toll. Full 300EX groupset in great condition!

Will be cleaning it up and rebuilding maybe over the weekend.

Anyway, the Izoard is getting Sora STIs. So far the levers are on for the brakes, but I am waiting on the cable stops for the downtube to arrive.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 am

I just picked up a 62cm Ventoux 501 frame from the verge side collections last Friday.

It's pretty mint.. Few little issues though. There's no cable guide under the bottom bracket (just a 6mm unthreaded hole, I think it must have had one of those plastic guides that clips in and is held in by a screw) and no cable stop on the chain stay, just two little holes one which had a tiny rivet in it, I presume it had a rivet on plastic cable stop.

I can drill and tap the bottom bracket for a shimano guide, and braze on a cable stop and then I have a free Reynolds tubed frame ;)

Pics soon!!

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 pm

lunar_c wrote:I just picked up a 62cm Ventoux 501 frame from the verge side collections last Friday.

It's pretty mint.. Few little issues though. There's no cable guide under the bottom bracket (just a 6mm unthreaded hole, I think it must have had one of those plastic guides that clips in and is held in by a screw) and no cable stop on the chain stay, just two little holes one which had a tiny rivet in it, I presume it had a rivet on plastic cable stop.

I can drill and tap the bottom bracket for a shimano guide, and braze on a cable stop and then I have a free Reynolds tubed frame ;)

Pics soon!!
You're right the Ventoux had a clip-in plastic guide under the bottom bracket. The chain stay cable stop on mine is a braze-on though.....

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks David,

Yes it's strange most of the ones I've looked at on the net have braze on cable stops. I brazed one on this afternoon so thats a permanent fix and for now have touched up the paint and have also macguyver'd a BB cable guide on with a plastic shimano guide and an m5 nut and bolt with a curved washer inside the BB.
I just want to ride this frame and see how I like it then if all suits I will re-paint it.

Does anyone have a spare clip in cable guide to suit?

Regards,
Ben

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Weighed the frame and fork today.. I suspected it was one of the earlier models with 4130 or carbolite forks.. And I was right.. 2155g for the frame (62cm) and 880g(!) for the fork.
What a bummer the fork is such a tank..

Paint is all touched up from the brazing.. Now to build it up and see how it rides.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Are your headsets free moving like most bikes. My Izoard has a self centring sort of thing. Like, it stays centred a lot, but youve got to give it a little pressure before if swings left/right. Is this thing normal? Never have had something like that before, even with the Tourmalet, something from the same age.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Worn bearing cups? Or crown race not on straight is my guess.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Wouldn't say they are worn. And I reckon it's on straight as this self centring thing is equal in both ways. Anyone have an RX100 group set as well?

May possibly take apart the headset on the weekend.

frog

Postby frog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm

I bought this from its original owner on Gumtree a month or so ago.

Peugeot 525 Comp by tyro.chris, on Flickr

It seems to have had very little use, I think it has the original hoods, tyres, seat and tape. Nothing needed adjusting, just needs new cables and tyres for piece of mind. Couple of marks on the frame here and there, little specks of rust in some bolt heads and on the FD cage plates. Frame has reynolds 525 main tubes, doesn't feel too heavy; it rides great I'm very happy and it was cheap to boot.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Bought a '91 Tourmalet with Action 400EX, BioPace and Rigida wheels yesterday and seeking some help with research.

Have given it a basic cleanup/lube and once I've put some SPD SLs on it intend to use it for trainer & weekend rides [Merida Road 903 for daily commute].

Has anyone seen much of the grotesque 'tribal' style patterns on these frames' seat tube & fork? The pattern is purple and the bike is a metallic pearl coat.

The weird thing is that the only reference I've found to this particular year, range, colour and decals needed translating from French...

Will get some pics up in daylight sometime soon, but in the meantime does anyone have any reference materials or opinions?

Pug for sale (a bit pricey methinks?):http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-ne ... 1014736079

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 am

I beilieve you've got a similar paint scheme to the Izoard Ive got above. It may be even the exact scheme. I remember Google imaging, 'purple Peugeot bike' and I found 2 pictures if this scheme, 1 being an Izoard and the other being a Tourmalet. I wonder if Peugeot used all the same schemes and all bikes with the only dofference being the frame materials and groupset.

How'd you find the exact year for it though? It'd be good to know the age of my Izoard and Tourmalet. And you say it uses 400EX. Mines got all 300EX with a 500EX front derailleur. Why do we have different specs? maybe a difference in age?

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 am

QuangVuong wrote:I beilieve you've got a similar paint scheme to the Izoard Ive got above. It may be even the exact scheme. I remember Google imaging, 'purple Peugeot bike' and I found 2 pictures if this scheme, 1 being an Izoard and the other being a Tourmalet. I wonder if Peugeot used all the same schemes and all bikes with the only dofference being the frame materials and groupset.

How'd you find the exact year for it though? It'd be good to know the age of my Izoard and Tourmalet. And you say it uses 400EX. Mines got all 300EX with a 500EX front derailleur. Why do we have different specs? maybe a difference in age?
Now that I'm looking at the thread on a proper screen it is indeed the same paintjob, just on a different base coat.

To find the year, I looked at the stamp on the underside of the frame (at the BB) and it started with Y106 etc. From what I understand, this denotes June 1991.

This one has 400 all round, possible that your FD was replaced. If it's 'Action' then it's mid-range, in which the numbers are sub-ranges I believe. Though someone more knowledgeable might be able to correct me.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Tourmalet has Y01002170. I take it being October 1990? Most likely my front derailleur was swapped out for the better one. That means mine has the crappest of all Exage groupsets. Oh well, I still like the lighter Izoard.

Izoard has Y1062620. Would this mean its June 1991?

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Tourmalet has Y01002170. I take it being October 1990? Most likely my front derailleur was swapped out for the better one. That means mine has the crappest of all Exage groupsets. Oh well, I still like the lighter Izoard.

Izoard has Y1062620. Would this mean its June 1991?
I believe it would be, yes. However there are plenty of websites that can help you identify it just in case. I'd post a link but the bookmarks are on my home PC.

It's not necessarily the crappest of the Exage range. If it's 'Action' then it's just the lower of the three in the middle tier of three. Can't remember what the others were called :P

Yeah, the dates are only the first three digits, so they look to be accurate.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Took it for a lunchtime ride today. Fair bit heavier than my Aluminium frame, but so plush to ride.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Wow, that's a lovely colour! Pearl white?

Looks like from 91 onwards the Peugeot font changed. Yours is the same as my Izoard in month and year and its got the same tribal des gun and Peugeot font. My older '90 Tourmalet has the old font and flame design.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:40 pm

My fiancé had a Tourmalet with that exact finish, a nice looking bike if a little heavy. I replaced rhe original steel bars with aluminium, put a carbon fork from an old trek on it which made a big difference. The original cranks had a steel inner ring which weighed a bit too. Made it a really nice bike.