Cassette and chain installation - done, but is it correct?

Warnesy

Cassette and chain installation - done, but is it correct?

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks all for the assistance so for, I have now installed the cassette (pretty easy) and chain (much more difficult). A couple of questions as a result of the install.

Chain - I measured it against the old chain, but pulled out the wrong pin and got the wrong link for the kmc missing link to go into at one end. So now it is possibly one link to short. However, I installed it just to test and it seems to work just fine, even in big and big. Will I get away with this, anything I should be concerned about :?:

Cassette - I'm not sure how I could mess this up (i'm sure I could find a way!), it seemed to go smooth. On a quick lap of the street it seemed to be noiser than before. However, I'm guessing that is the switch of wheels and the bracciano's freehub may be louder than the previous Shimano one when freewheeling?

Thanks

Andrew

DoogleDave

Re: Cassette and chain installation - done, but is it correc

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Yep, the Braccy freehub sound is much louder than the Shimano's (which I like as people on shared paths often hear you coming).
Just make sure the cassette is done up nice and tight...and you should have put a little grease on the thread of the lockring before doing it up (which will make it easier to remove down the track when you take the cassette off for cleaning).

As for the chain, I am no expert but it should be OK. What cassette are you running and I assume with a compact crankset? If you notice it causing any issues in the next week or so order a new chain and chalk it up to experience (and re-use the KMC quick link). You need an inner link at each end of the chain for the quick link to connect to.
HERE is a Youtube vid which explains it quite simply...(ignore the fact it's titled for replacing a MTB chain, it's the same process for a roadie).

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks Dave. Cassette is done up nice and tight, was pretty sure it was the freehub.

Running a 12-25T cassette and the chain does seem to be working okay, so i'll see how we go.

I actually watched that video a few times before attempting it. If I hadn't have removed the wrong link so I had an outer instead of an inner would have been all good.

Thanks again.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm

No probs...an easy mistake to make. I'll have to make sure I don't do the same thing when my new chain arrives soon :-)

BTW, enjoy your Bracci's...you're gonna love 'em.

Dave

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

If the chain is too short, the derailleur may become over-extended.

Try shifting onto the big ring and the big sprocket. Then move the lower chain up and down to make sure that the derailleur is not at maximum extension.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks Ron, I've swapped back to the other wheels and chain for the upcoming wet week but will check that next time.

However, I'm not sure i exactly know what I'm looking for derailer over-extension. I'm assuming it will be pulling it down as if you were pulling the chain together if it was too short?

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:40 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Yep, the Braccy freehub sound is much louder than the Shimano's (which I like as people on shared paths often hear you coming).
Just make sure the cassette is done up nice and tight...and you should have put a little grease on the thread of the lockring before doing it up (which will make it easier to remove down the track when you take the cassette off for cleaning).

As for the chain, I am no expert but it should be OK. What cassette are you running and I assume with a compact crankset? If you notice it causing any issues in the next week or so order a new chain and chalk it up to experience (and re-use the KMC quick link). You need an inner link at each end of the chain for the quick link to connect to.
HERE is a Youtube vid which explains it quite simply...(ignore the fact it's titled for replacing a MTB chain, it's the same process for a roadie).

Dave
I have to disagree about Bracciano free hubs being noisier than Shimano.

Straight out of the box my Braccianos were silent.

When it gets to the point that I can hear them I know it is time to regrease the free hub.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:03 pm

That's interesting. My freehub sound is the same as when I took mine out of the box (just over a month ago).

Either mine came with very little grease in it from new or my definition of noisy/silent is different to everyone else's.

Dave

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Warnesy wrote:Thanks Ron, I've swapped back to the other wheels and chain for the upcoming wet week but will check that next time.

However, I'm not sure i exactly know what I'm looking for derailer over-extension. I'm assuming it will be pulling it down as if you were pulling the chain together if it was too short?
OK with your old wheels and chain on and big ring and sprocket selected, the derailleur idler arm will probably be around vertical. Pull the bottom of the chain down. The derailleur arm will move forward freely.

Try the new chain and cassette the same way. If idler arm is already past the vertical there may not be enough travel to select the big/big combination.

If in doubt post photos on both big/big and small/small combinations.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm

will change over next weekend and post photos.

Thanks for the assistance!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Warnesy wrote:will change over next weekend and post photos.

Thanks for the assistance!
Some information and pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about from the ParK Tools site.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm

DoogleDave wrote:That's interesting. My freehub sound is the same as when I took mine out of the box (just over a month ago).

Either mine came with very little grease in it from new or my definition of noisy/silent is different to everyone else's.

Dave
Maybe your freehub got a little less grease from the factory than is typical.

When you get some time, pop the freehub off, wipe it out and put a good smear of grease into the hub around all the ratchets, grease the axle up well and grease the pawls on the freehub up pretty liberally and re-assemble. You don't need to bog it with grease but any excess will push its way past the seal so I'd rather you put too much than not enough.

If you're not confident with this task, remove the cassette. Get two sets of metric allen keys ready and phone me, I'll talk you through it.

I use either Rock N Roll Red Devil or the Shimano (green) grease. The Rock N Roll is a little thicker and sticker than the Shimano grease and will result in less noise. The factory use grease that appears to be very similar if not identical to the Shimano green grease.

When freshly greased they are virtually silent, if you then wait for it to get noisey thats a really good indicator that its time to repeat the process.

If you like them noisey, just don't be so liberal with the grease and I'd stick to a thinner grease like the Shimano stuff.

Personally I prefer them to be as quiet as possible.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Ron I think you were on the money. Here it is on big and big

Can I just add another quick link, or insert another full proper chain link?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Definitely at least a link too short...
Not ideal but u can use either of 3 methods...
1) use the piece of discarded chain, and rejoin with a shimano pin and cut to appropriate length, and then use your "missing link"

2) as above but join with a second missing link (less desirable)

3) spend $20 and buy a new chain (most desirable). Keep discarded chain for a smaller bike

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks. Will go with option 1 and get a new chain ready for next time...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Yeah, looks like the derailleur is really extended.

I always use the Campagnolo method to size chains. It ensures the longest possible chain length, leaving capacity to fit a larger cassette if you choose.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Fixed, thanks all

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Perfect :-)

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Yep, the Braccy freehub sound is much louder than the Shimano's (which I like as people on shared paths often hear you coming).
Don't want to hijack this thread but my bracciano free hub was also very very noisy out of the box. Having read this i'll attempt to give it a grease and see how I go.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah mine is still pretty loud, but I actually don't mind it all that much. When its time for a service I think i'll be tempted to see if I can quieten it down a bit.