Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Happy with todays coverage. With the exception of the late nights - I really hope that the live coverage caught the interest of a few non cyclists, pretty good racing on both days.
Cycling is in my BNA

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 pm

clackers wrote:
MarkG wrote:I thought it was decent and exceeded my expectations of what channel 9 was going to deliver.
I thought it was good for the general public, too, for whom Paul and Phil are better suited than the Eurosports guys.

In the end, cycling got a chance to reach out as a spectator sport in this fragmented market.

Just look at the netballers, who despite the high participation rate in this country have just lost their FTA TV coverage a month out from their season start.
Agreed.

Being on a commercial station I did expect commentary to be simplified or "dumbed down" to some extent. That way they can get those who aren't cycling aficionados in to the sport without being overwhelmed with terms and words that they don't come across in afl or nrl!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:30 am

I did time the ads and it came to 3 1/2mins FYI :)

Other then that it wasn't to bad, it was good to have the last 2 stages shown live from start to finish but that's more down to the short stages?

Hope Robbie is there next year but please Tim Gilby is bloody hopeless at calling anything and should just go away

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 pm

FWIW I heard a radio report that Channel 9 lost $25 million on the Olympics in London and the new management has told them not to bid for 2016

Maybe that is why they are taking an interest in cycling.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

boss

Postby boss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:FWIW I heard a radio report that Channel 9 lost $25 million on the Olympics in London and the new management has told them not to bid for 2016

Maybe that is why they are taking an interest in cycling.

Mike
FWIW I think you're misattributing cause and effect aka "it's a coincidence dude". Decisions RE TDU cycling coverage would have been made long before 9 knew if their Olympics rights would be profitable.

If anything it just says the broadcast rights for the Olympics are over priced.

Cycling is TINY biscuits for the TV networks. It's just filler. Joe "I'm the vast majority" Average is not interested in it.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm

It occurred to me at the weekend that, with Saturday's offical crowd figure at 125,000 and probably the same or more for Sunday (and not even calculating the previous four days)the TDU got more punter interest than the Clipsal 500, opening round of the V8 Supercar Series.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

boss

Postby boss » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:It occurred to me at the weekend that, with Saturday's offical crowd figure at 125,000 and probably the same or more for Sunday (and not even calculating the previous four days)the TDU got more punter interest than the Clipsal 500, opening round of the V8 Supercar Series.
I occurred to me that if you charged $100+ to attend the TDU attendance figures would be way (way, way, way, way) down on Clipsal.

:roll:

If you could get TV viewership numbers, that would be a fair 'apples for apples' comparison.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

ozzymac wrote:PS: But please never let nine get hold of the TDF......
The only difference would be a loss of Tomilaris, Tan and Gabriel Gate. Everything else would be the same feed that viewers the rest of the world over would get.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:44 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Other then that it wasn't to bad, it was good to have the last 2 stages shown live from start to finish but that's more down to the short stages?
Pretty much.
In longer stage and one day races, it is very rare for complete stage coverage. Rather, coverage is timed to begin so the total coverage goes for a few hours. Race starts are usually scheduled so that the finish is roughly at the same time of day, to suit home country TV networks programming schedules. Pro bike racing is gradually developing its TV packaging - it gets a little better each year but there is still some way to go.
jamesn184 wrote:Hope Robbie is there next year but please Tim Gilby is bloody hopeless at calling anything and should just go away
Gilbert was never on air to call the race. Only for pre- and post-race commentary. Same as SBS with Tomilaris et al.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Hope Robbie is there next year but please Tim Gilby is bloody hopeless at calling anything and should just go away
Gilbert was never on air to call the race. Only for pre- and post-race commentary. Same as SBS with Tomilaris et al.[/quote]

I do know that :), but the limited time that he had on air was bad enough tbh.
He could of been a touch more professional and did some research on what to talk about, not just sit/stand there talking crap and making a joke of himself

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm

I can't complain. I couldn't even get power to watch it.

:lol: :lol: