Which sunnies for the bike?

The Walrus

Which sunnies for the bike?

Postby The Walrus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm

What is the difference between a $50 pair of sunnies to a $200+ pair? I use Sundog activity glasses and they are great but I like the idea of having interchangeable lenses for day time riding etc etc.

I saw a pair in a shop called Anaconda I'd never been in before...seems to be their own brand called Fluid, which I know nothing about. Anyone tried their glasses? $50 with 3 different colour lenses! What are the collective thoughts?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Howzat

Re: Which sunnies for the bike?

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm

What is the difference between a $50 pair of sunnies to a $200+ pair?
Mostly marketing budget... but if you are a perfectionist, or if you're asking the question, it's probably best just but the good stuff first. Saves buying twice.

Anaconda specialize in filling stores with cheap no-name direct-sourced Chinese junk that they put "Fluid" stickers on. I bought some stuff there in a half-price sale, and regretted it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

The Walrus wrote:What is the difference between a $50 pair of sunnies to a $200+ pair?
If you're simply after UV protection...... nothing. All sunglasses sold in Australia must meet the standard for UV-prevention. In fact if you wear ordinary prescription glasses for vision correction, these also must meet the same UV-prevention standard (informed of this from my optometrist).

But if you want super-strong frames, interchangeable lenses, prescription sunglasses, or just a hot brand-name, then the more expensive ones may be required.
Howzat wrote:Anaconda specialize in filling stores with cheap no-name direct-sourced Chinese junk that they put "Fluid" stickers on
These will also be required to meet the same UV-prevention standards, or else Anaconda would find themselves in the deep do-dos.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

something that is designed specifically for bike riding should be better than a pair of "activity" glasses. Also the money for a name brand is in the name so if a company like Oakley have dedicated cycling sunnies they are going to put a lot of effort into getting the design right. Also I reckon if pro's wear em you can be pretty sure they work ok.

I find multiple lenses a pain as you don't always know what the weather or light will do. There is enough kit to worry about at 5 30 in the morning getting ready for a ride than trying to figure out what lense to put in. I have photochromic lenses in mine and I love em. Even in the dark they are fine.

These are my old faithfuls, I love how they don't fold up, perfect for slipping in your helmet when you don't need em plus it makes em much sturdier. They really resist fogging too. Not sure if you can still buy em though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

How do you go with dust or small insects getting through the gaps in those? I've got Oakley Fastjacket glasses which are great, excepting the rubber bits that clip on it to fit around your nose - they fall off.

I'm sure cheaper glasses will do the job just as well.

But for the OP, you could try some retro 80s style glasses I saw one Pro rider wearing a while back. Different! :wink:

http://www.optiking.de/pics/1331912454_ ... _front.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Maybe not at the price of those!) :shock:

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

No problem at all with anything except air getting in through the holes. I glued the rubber nose bit on.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 am

I have a pair of Rudy Project Rydon Photochromatics and they are excellent. The lens quality is far superior to a cheaper pair I used previously.