Qld weather venting posts

jasonc

Re: Qld weather venting posts

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 pm

greenfish wrote:Why not just go via UQ / Eleanor Schonell Bridge into the city?

corso probably won't be in too good shape. oxley rd flooded. trees down on the western fwy bikepath...

bus me thinks. at least til peaks are over

EDIT: jindalee cycle bridge (not the jindalee bridge) is already flooded

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Sorry if these are too big for some users. Still don't have any power. Hooray for laptops and iphones.

The Boondall wetlands/bikeway is still water logged along with large amounts of debris.

The bikeway from Nudgee-Toombul is able to now be ridden but there are large clusters of debris along with sections that have had washouts on the river side. I've also noticed alot more snakes have now set up camp on the pathway.

The Nudgee Golf Course and the new water hazard with bonus whirlpool.

Nundah... well.

The bikeway along the Kedron Brook is out of action around the railway line. The old shared walkway might be still open but there is heavy damage, debris etc on the path, no barriers/damaged fences/knocked over signposts along with the water still lapping the pathway under the bridge. The new pathway is closed off and will be for quite a while.

The Nunda crit circuit is undamaged. There's water logging in sections around the back and on top of the hill/down the hill there is debris and thin built up layers of sand/dirt so very loose traction at 30kph+.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Under the Indooroophily Bridge at Chelmer this afternoon.

The evacuated rowing sheds at West end, the river had already broken the banks along Riverside Drive.

Take care out there people, the river loop is likely to be out of action for a bit after tomorrow.
Lisa

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for the recon Luke & Lisa, i was going to see if it was worth using the mtb for commuting in, but considering we are likely to still see some peaks wednesday, it looks like i'll be catching the bus in till later in the week. :(

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am

Outside Centro.

Heading to the Nundah crit circuit.

Along the bikeway.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:28 am

Wow... Crazy to see it like that...
Shame to see the brand new sections damaged...
But, it's a flood plain for a reason...
I guess it will be mt cootha and my nebo until the Council has a chance to clean up...
Looking after the folks in the lowlands has to take priority...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 am

Hooray I have power again. I can now recharge those GoPros :P I should also add there is debris on the bridge on the walk around section. I saw broken glass when I was there so I'd advise carrying your bike across the bridge and then continuing on with the ride.

I'll go for an extended ride tomorrow to give an update along the whole bikeway (If I can access it)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 am

Did a river loop this morning...the bike path from QUT around to Milton had heaps of debris and mud over sections and is likely to be that way for a few days after every high tide.
They had the gates closed on the bike path where they are doing the upgrade section so we went on Coro Drive, from what I could see the rest of the path to Toowong looked fine.
There was a 'road closed' sign up at the uni bikes can get through, the signs are up to stop people parking there during the high tide.
Everything else was as normal except for debris on the road, Orleigh park had the water lapping at the grass and the ferry terminal is closed but the road is ok.

Apart from the high tide peaks for the next 3 days everything should be ok.
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 am

in the bus today *grrr*
western fwy bikeway looked ok. debris is quite a few places. might try tomorrow with a back street boogie from sylvan rd to roma st

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am

Train/Bus today for me too, but i'm going to ride the mtb in for the rest of the week as the public transport is a shocker with all the damage to infrastructure and access problems. 1 hr 20 to get in on public transport today, while the bike only takes me 40 min. Should have ridden in anyway.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

Bit of mud.

Have been thinking of getting a road bike, but I don't think it is going to handle this jump twice a day for the next year or so. CX bike? Or something with more jet engines and wings?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

InTheWoods wrote: Image

Where exactly is the location of that x-bridge/crossing/gorge ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
InTheWoods wrote: Image

Where exactly is the location of that x-bridge/crossing/gorge ?
End of Royal Parade in ashgrove. The other half of the bridge is in the creek and there are some fences stuck in the trees. I've been trying to figure out how deep the water is there in that pic, I think it might be about 3 meters or so because its fairly narrow and the water is going very fast. That bridge has been there a long time and survived a lot of floods. The main beams were beefy steel "I" beams and the water pressure has ripped the downstream one off - maybe hit by debris.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Doesn't look like the floods today were as bad as expected to there's hope for the river loop yet.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Montague Rd River loop was OK at 05:30 this morning, and again at 9:30 with the exception of the underwater sections of the Coro Drive bike path (went Milton Rd / Cribb St / Coro Drive).

The river was encroaching on the play ground at West End.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Kedron brook at billabong st was covered in sand and debris this morning. Looks like the all weather on road commute option for me for a few days.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:18 pm

So, road bike or MTB for river loop tonight? Any recommendations?
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm

brett.hooker wrote:So, road bike or MTB for river loop tonight? Any recommendations?
Road would be fine, I took my commuter bike these past two days and will again tomorrow, an alloy framed bike...given my Fondy a rest!
Just mind the mud if you use the section from QUT to Milton!
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am

Think I might hit up some hills tomorrow or on Thursdee. This looks like an interesting route :P
http://connect.garmin.com/course/2786898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks for the heads up MM... I decided to give the mud a miss as I was super keen to get back on the road bike... I did two laps out to luggage point and one up to nudgee beach... Got that 600 mile badge within reach now...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am

Lukeyboy... That is some fun climbing in that lot... Only for the fittest...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am

ok - coro drive diverted onto footpath on other side
lots of debris descending the back of coot-tha. use caution
path next to vic park golf course covered in trees.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm

jasonc wrote:ok - coro drive diverted onto footpath on other side
lots of debris descending the back of coot-tha. use caution
path next to vic park golf course covered in trees.
Hey Jason, I noticed that you did Coottha today, any reason why you didn't go around the full circuit?? Is the road closed or do you just prefer to do repeats?

I rode to the track at Nundah this afternoon...glad that I had my study commuter and 25mm tyres...had to get off the bike three times, twice for a tree over the path and the other for a foot bridge that is covered in rubbish. Then I had some fun through the mud on the path under Sandgate Rd overpass....I was fish tailing at one point and thought that I was going to come off.

It will take a fair bit to clean up, every foot bridge has had the side railings pushed over, the force of the water is amazing!
Take care out in the KBB.
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Should have ducked to the inside of the Sandgate Road underpass where the rocks were :P

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Should have ducked to the inside of the Sandgate Road underpass where the rocks were :P
That was fun going through the mud, just not looking forward to cleaning off the muck!
Lisa