To Lube or not

kunalraiker

To Lube or not

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Ok, so far I have been degreasing and lubing the bike every week.
Last week I applied the lube very sparingly and noticed that my cassette remained much cleaner.
I have heard the less lube the better,

Does that mean I can get away with not lubing?
Am I using wrong products- Got the degreaser from Bunnings a cheap $2.00 huge can.
Was given this dry lube can from the person I bought the bike.

I like to see my bike nice and clean but cannot take the risk of destroying any parts, what should I do ?

mitzikatzi

Re: To Lube or not

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Search for chain lube. A number of threads on the topic that include cleaning routines and how to.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

"Less lube the better" does not mean "Yipee, no lube!". It just means applying it conservatively in an effective manner ensuring it get to where it's needed ie. inside the chain pins and linkages. Excess lube on the outside of the chain is mainly there to to get on your legs and clothes.

+1 to using the search feature to find a technique for lubing that suits you. The topic has really been done to death umpteen times before just on these forums. It's a personal choice..... just read around and get some ideas and see what works for you.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 am

Decreasing and lubing really put me off riding the bike...... don't bother with the whole routine now..........

Wipe every ten rides ( 3-5 in wet weather ) with a rag, add a bit of lube, wipe again........ best maintenance routine for commuters....... for those who compete I can understand having a meticulous drivetrain. For the rest of us it's overkill IMO.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Ok, so far I have been degreasing and lubing the bike every week.
Last week I applied the lube very sparingly and noticed that my cassette remained much cleaner.

Am I using wrong products- Got the degreaser from Bunnings a cheap $2.00 huge can.

I like to see my bike nice and clean but cannot take the risk of destroying any parts, what should I do ?
Degreaser has no business anywhere near a bike, any bits that you fail to wash off will corrode the heck out of any alloy parts on your bike.

Get some Rock n Roll lube and you'll just about never have to wash your chain again as this cleans and lubes at the sametime.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm

The degrease will run into the derailer sprocket bearings and what not washing the grease out. To clean a chain properly you need to take it off the bike to soak it in degrease (I use kero as evaproates quickly from the chain), vibrate/shake etc, changing the bath several times until it's clean. That is the only way to get the grit out from under the rollers. Then hang to dry (24hrs) making sure the degrease has gone from under the rollers of it will pollute the new lube. Then to guarantee the pins are lubricated properly, it needs to be soaked again. I have taken chains of bikes that have been just cleaned and done this showing the owner they were far from clean. Another good test is to twist the chain and you will hear the grit grinding between the side plates. A little lube often, esp with a dry lube (eg Clean ride) means less dirt gets stuck to the chain. The cassett needs to come off the rim to be cleaned for the same reason. The crank sprockets can be done with a rag so as to keep the degrease under control.

Doing this will get you significant milage out of a chain but some say the effort is not worth it for a $30 chain. You decide.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Get some Rock n Roll lube and you'll just about never have to wash your chain again as this cleans and lubes at the sametime.
Quite right - Rock'N'Roll Gold, read the instructions and apply it liberally as directed. Allow a minute or two for it to loosen any dirt, then wipe off the excess. Once a week should be enough, more in wet weather.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

+heaps for rock n roll lube. So easy, quick and from my experience effective, even on super muddy runs on the MTB. Is only a bike chain, it's meant to get a bit dirty and eventually wear out. The most important thing for me is that it doesn't sound terrible. Lube reduces the noise.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 pm

bychosis wrote:+heaps for rock n roll lube. So easy, quick and from my experience effective, even on super muddy runs on the MTB. Is only a bike chain, it's meant to get a bit dirty and eventually wear out. The most important thing for me is that it doesn't sound terrible. Lube reduces the noise.
It really is good stuff, you waste a bit of it as you apply it liberally then wipe off as much as you can but its like $20 for a great big bottle.

I swear my chains are lasting longer with it and the drive train stays clean enough that personally I would never clean the chain between bike washes anymore.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

I used Rock & roll Gold on a chain that did 10K & was still working perfectly.
I know use R & R Red as its supposed to be better, I never degrease, if the chain gets dirty I just apply & wipe up to 3 x times.
The bike remains cleaner.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 pm

+1 for Rock n Roll. But use the "road" version which is red/pink. The gold is better for mountain biking, I found it accumulates too much and is a little messy on the road bike. Chain never needs de-greasing and i'd take jacks advice with degreaser and bikes.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

Finish Line white ceramic lube or Eureka Pro for me
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 am

I use Pro Link Gold (because that is the bike shop choice), but lube's are a personal choice thing.

As long as you use any of the better quality lube's then you won't go far wrong.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 am

thanks All, such a good outcome :)
Happy with all recommendation, I think I will give the Rock & Roll a try, probably the road version as the gold is for MTB?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am

kunalraiker wrote:thanks All, such a good outcome :)
Happy with all recommendation, I think I will give the Rock & Roll a try, probably the road version as the gold is for MTB?
Not quite - Gold is for either MTBs or road bikes, and is a better lube that the dry. Using the dry the chain stays very clean, but I've found that I have to re-apply it more often than Gold.

From the Rock'N'Roll web site.
Many riders ask, "What is the difference between the Extreme, Absolute Dry, and the Gold?" The Extreme is for mountain bikes. Absolute Dry is for the road bikes. The Gold is for both mountain
and road bikes
It's worth noting the tips for use on the site.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 am

*sigh* once again...

I tried weekly ultrasonic cleaning in kero followed by detergent then water then Prolink.

It gave roughly the same chain life as a wipe over with a cloth lightly sprayed with WD40 to get the grease off for the first few thousand k's and after that the occasional lube if the chain sounded dry.

The latter takes up significantly less of my time than the former, and chain life was pretty much the same despite uncontrolled variables such as dust, rain etc. Fitting a full-length front mudguard makes more difference to chain life than how/when you lube the chain.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:Ok, so far I have been degreasing and lubing the bike every week.

Degreaser has no business anywhere near a bike, any bits that you fail to wash off will corrode the heck out of any alloy parts on your bike.

Get some Rock n Roll lube and you'll just about never have to wash your chain again as this cleans and lubes at the sametime.
You are aware that rock and roll is 95% degreaser. Bike shops love this stuff as it really only has about 5 applications in the bottle.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Religion...
politics...
chain care...
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Religion...
politics...
chain care...
volunteer run cycling organisations

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Religion...
politics...
chain care...
Let it go, Jim ... you'll feel ever so much better!

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Admit it. It made you smile just a bit ?

It's ok I won't let on

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 pm

jcjordan wrote:You are aware that rock and roll is 95% degreaser. Bike shops love this stuff as it really only has about 5 applications in the bottle.
Ah, the nuances of "degreaser". "Emulsifiers" are usually alkaline and corrode the metals and ruin the paint, "Solvents" ala R&R, kero & WD40 dissolve the grease before evaporating off.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Admit it. It made you smile just a bit ?

It's ok I won't let on
[Counts Jim's cash] ... 178 ... 179 ... 180 dollars! Bwahaha!

dude18

Postby dude18 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Religion...
politics...
chain care...
MHL