is this a gear problem? new bike needs help

aaron655

is this a gear problem? new bike needs help

Postby aaron655 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

G'day!

I've just recently purchased a Trek FX 7.3 hybrid.

I'm not too sure if this is a problem or not, so I'd like to run it by with you guys.

I have 3 gears on the front left, 9 on the front right.
When I shift the front left gear from 1 to 2, the chain makes a cranking noise and pedaling doesn't feel smooth. I keep changing the front right gears (from 1 all the way up to the max) and it still makes the cranking noise on the chain. This doesn't go away.

To amend this problem I need to change my front left gear to 3, and then drop it back down to 2 for the chains to click properly and then it becomes smooth.

Basically, I'm having trouble changing front left gear from 1 to 2. I need to do 1-2-3-2 for a smooth change.

I'm not a very bike technical person, hoping someone would understand and shed some light. Thank you.

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: is this a gear problem? new bike needs help

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Sounds like a problem with cable tension, causing the chain to rub against the front derailleur. If you've just bought it, take it back to where you got it from for a quick adjustment (if you don't want to do it yourself). Cables will stretch when they're new and this could be the cause of the problem. You should have been invited back to the shop for a service when you bought it, take advantage of it.

Otherwise, there are lots of good videos on youtube on adjusting cable tension. You basically adjust a little knobby thing somewhere along the cable and all of your problems disappear. Of course, it could be a case of not having such an adjuster, in which case you'd have to adjust the pinch bolt. Better to take it back to the bike shop if you don't have any experience with bikes. Make sure they show you how to adjust it. If they don't want to do this, go to another shop that will.

aaron655

Postby aaron655 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm

thanks for that! I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow and see what the fuss is :)

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 am

aaron655 wrote:thanks for that! I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow and see what the fuss is :)
Keep us updated. That way people with the same problem as you will learn.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
aaron655 wrote:thanks for that! I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow and see what the fuss is :)
Keep us updated. That way people with the same problem as you will learn.
+1
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 am

Yep, Either the Front Gear CHanging Mechanism near the large chainrings is installed poorly or the gear cables need further adjustment.

It's common for a new bike to start "misalignining" the gears after a few rides hence why most reputable bike shops give a free 1 month / few hundred km service

You will hear something akin to beads on a glass table when the gears start going out of alignment.

As mentioned above, on new bikes the shop will readjust for you or it can be done with a lot of trial and eoor / youtube and some basic tools.

NOTE: Any "crunching" or firm resistance should be heeded, don't ride it too much if it ain't smooth ;)

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

On some bikes, the front derailleur has a trim function - a half-change from 2 to 3 doesn't take the chain up to the bigger ring, it just moves the derailleur cage a smidgen to the right to stop chain rub. I'm not sure if this applies to your bike.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Acera doesn't have a trim function.

Acera/tourney are pretty random shimano gear imo, doesn't have the manufacturing tolerances of the better gear, so you get good examples and bad examples. I would get the cable adjusted, if it doesn't go away, then I'd buy a deore triple FD for it, as thats not a crapshoot on tolerances.