Rides/routes in the ACT

rifraf

Re: Rides/routes in the ACT

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Just incredible Warren. Your photos make me really impatient for the day that I've lost enough weight and done enough kilometres to be able to haul myself up those climbs and get back into photography.
I used to do a lot of landscape photography - just because I'm from Tasmania, and theres a lot to take photos of.
I moved to Canberra, didn't realise how expensive living here was compared to Tassie - and so I sold out, started taking pictures of hot girls (or in Canberra's case, girls who think theyre hot or wish they were hot), and in the end packed in the whole photography game when I got thoroughly jack of the "glamour photography scene" in Canberra. (Getting talked into event photography that I didnt want to do in the first place was even worse...)
Literally, all I have left is the cheapest DSLR I ever owned, 3 different, multi-purpose lenses, and a couple of sd cards. I dont even still have a tripod to take...
Still, at least the old Pentax K200d weights bugger all - although I'm sure it's brick by todays standards.
Hey fatdudeonabike,
I'd have thought the Pentax would be the best camera to get back into photography. I wish my Nikon had the same selection of great priced SMC lenses at my disposal. I bought my D7000 just before becoming aware of the Pentax
K5 and wished I'd waited a bit. Dont wait till you think your skinny enough to tour as "hauling yourself and gear up those climbs and back" is just the sort of exercise to shed kilos. Warrens pics are courtesy of some kit lenses if I remember correctly so get out and use the tools you've got is my advice. Look whats been achieved with a pinhole camera before being too worried about what the oldest digital can do in your hands. I was quite chuffed to be complimented recently on some very basic pics using my Sony F717 which if truth be told I'm more comfortable with than my newish DSLR. Happy spinning :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks man :)
You know, the only reason I kept the Pentax was because, of everything I had, it was worth the least.
In hindsight, it was a great move - because Pentax haven't changed their lens size in eons, I was always able to get cool lenses cheap. Despite being the cheapest camera I ever owned, it was always the most flexible.

But I'm too much of a realist to do it just yet, given I've had my bike for 2 weeks, crashed it after 1, and I'm off it for another week with the resulting injury :oops:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote: But I'm too much of a realist to do it just yet, given I've had my bike for 2 weeks, crashed it after 1, and I'm off it for another week with the resulting injury :oops:
Whilst you've some down time start planning some trips - start small if you have to but once you've got the bug........ :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 pm

FatGuts wrote:How was Beth with riding through Bimberi Warren?
Karl, what, me ride in the gazetted Bimberi Wilderness? That would be wicked and my pocket money doesn't stretch that far. In the past I've called Namadgi, to say I'm hiking-the-bike, always.

I hope your recovery from surgery is going well, and have a good time crossing the Tinderrys. I've a post in the Rural Section about the Northern Tinderrys and the Q'bne River Firetrail ... http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 54&t=49591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On another note, I read the upcoming walks programmes on the ACT bushwalking sites, to make sure that my quite time in the bush, doesn't clash with MOHAs.
fatdudeonabike wrote:... make me really impatient for the day that I've lost enough weight and done enough kilometres to be able to haul myself up those climbs ...
G'day Mate.

Don't let feeling unfit stop you from riding around here. I've reached and maintained that (ig)noble level of International Grand Master when it comes to playing hike-a-bike. There is an old sailing saying, that Gentlemen don't beat to windward. Well, I faithfully follow that same sensibility, concerning not riding up hills. Not even up the little ones.

Thanks for your rewarding comments. As Rif mentioned, I only take kit lenses, when push-biking. My picture quality goes up and down frequently, because the lenses aren't too forgiving with aberrations, especially when I'm pointing the camera into the light. Here is a wide range of riding shots from this region, nearly all were taken with the kit lenses ... http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/WildWassa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Oh yes, hike a bike, I forgot about that. Having said that, hike a bike would be essential with a fully loaded tourer on the second hill on the Cotter Hut FT once in the wilderness area :shock: