Race Report Thread

twizzle

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 pm

About 20 in A tonight, sometimes it's 25 - 30 riders, we've had up to 35 in B grade. Waiting on results to be uploaded, and I won't download the PT until I get to work tomorrow.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 am

vander wrote:
At the tour his TTs were apparently a bit over 6W/kg. Most to the main climbs were done at a bit less than 6W/kg. He is also on elliptical chain rings which artificially inflate his power numbers. From the analysis I have looked at.

6.7 is well into the doping territory. 6W/kg during a grand tour is still very suspect.

If you look on training peaks at their analysis, there was a guy (Janez Brajkovic) that was finishing in the lead group or close to it most the time that was doing 5.5ish W/kg most the time.
wiggins quotes his FTP at 450w plus ( for an hour ) at 69kgs... The last tt in the 2012 tdf he says he held a 450w + av (after 3 weeks! )... Thats around the 6.5w mark in tt position... That's pretty insane.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 am

twizzle wrote:It would have been 103 - 105kg, sitting around 92.- 93kg at the moment. Given I started off back in 2006 at 127.5kg, I'm not doing too badly... it's just taken me a while to get there.

And that should have been 2013. It was supposed be be 23'rd Dec., but they moved it.

Sent from my iThingy...
Well as you know, as you get lighter you produce less power.

As you average speed is up, the loss of power is not important
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

toolonglegs wrote:
vander wrote:
At the tour his TTs were apparently a bit over 6W/kg. Most to the main climbs were done at a bit less than 6W/kg. He is also on elliptical chain rings which artificially inflate his power numbers. From the analysis I have looked at.

6.7 is well into the doping territory. 6W/kg during a grand tour is still very suspect.

If you look on training peaks at their analysis, there was a guy (Janez Brajkovic) that was finishing in the lead group or close to it most the time that was doing 5.5ish W/kg most the time.
wiggins quotes his FTP at 450w plus ( for an hour ) at 69kgs... The last tt in the 2012 tdf he says he held a 450w + av (after 3 weeks! )... Thats around the 6.5w mark in tt position... That's pretty insane.
Take off the 30W due to the elliptical rings and you are at 420ishW at 69kg its just over 6W/kg so similar to the analysis I have looked at. Yes doing it after 3 weeks of racing is ridiculous that is why noone got close to him. I would not be surprised if it was not long until Sky gets ousted just as Lance has (but I am sure that is not a topic for this thread), they did loose half their staff after they reaffirmed their anti-doping position (even though they said they werent employing anyone with a doping history when they started).

@Mike: You should tell Wiggans that he lost 10+ kg and is producing as much or more than his IP days.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 am

O.K. - numbers are in.

318W average, 354W NP, 41.5kph for 29.2km (42:14 elapsed). Average HR 159, peak HR 176.

And 91.7Kg as of this morning.

Edit: And it was a good guess - there were 20 starters, but 3 DNF'ed.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm

vander wrote: Take off the 30W due to the elliptical rings and you are at 420ishW at 69kg its just over 6W/kg so similar to the analysis I have looked at.
Do oval rings really change power readings?... torque is torque after all.

Mike, as you get lighter you may only lose power if you are losing muscle mass... fat doesn't push cranks :P .

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Here is one little post on it.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... 13#4201113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was lots on it in the wattage forums in the last year also.

mjd

Postby mjd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 am

toolonglegs wrote:
vander wrote: Take off the 30W due to the elliptical rings and you are at 420ishW at 69kg its just over 6W/kg so similar to the analysis I have looked at.

Mike, as you get lighter you may only lose power if you are losing muscle mass... fat doesn't push cranks :P .
Here is a link Alex sent me last night after I asked him about Osymetric Rings.
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... rings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

That made more sense :-)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 pm

mjd wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:

Here is a link Alex sent me last night after I asked him about Osymetric Rings.
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... rings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would be interested to see this done with q rings which have a different elliptical pattern.

The is also the question in regard to regards Quarq set up. The is no mention of wether the rings had been recalibrated after change and also has the bedding in be done. I have seen a 90w change in reading caused by going from sprinter to aero rings. Quarq requires very specific torque settings and recommends recalibration after ring changes. Without this as part of the test protocol the results are going to be off.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 am

For you race report addicts, stuck in the cold

race report PDCC D grade criterium Smeaton Way 20 January 2013

Biggest field of the season and it was not your normal PDCC D grade race, no matter who attacked or how hard you attacked, you got reeled back in, pronto. I know I tried a few times, a one stage a group of 5 strong riders got about 7m off the front, I went to join them, dragged another rider with me, then there was 20.

Second last lap, I attacked with gusto, might of got 5m, got caught going into a corner, tried out of the corner, bunch still on my wheel. Nobody came round, so I settled in for tempo for all of 45 seconds, next attack, 18 riders both sides of me, as I knew nothing would come of it, I kept a steady pace, but I was on the back of the pack and it was strung out. That was my mistake, I needed to be the first 6 or 8 riders at the bell. Because the pace picked up as they went from home, best I could do was pick up a couple of places before the finishing straight, and a couple on the straight.

Overall happy with my performance, 15th out of 20 not the best, but I did ride an aggressive race on a course I had never seen and only had a one lap warm up recon. Managed PB on power from 5 to 38 minutes. So looking forward to my next race here and probably change my tactics.

Bunch sprints where the norm for every other grade except A, where the Australian Criterium Champion managed to get a break and then a mechanical, so his brother attacked and took another rider with him. The other rider hung on until the finish and then sprinted to victory.

My race of Strava

PS I just acquired a Q ring for my TT bike, will see if that has magical properties like stopping me falling off (clip stack last week on TT bike)

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Date: 19 January 2013
Venue: Kooragang
GSR - 28km E Grade
Result: 2/8

Report:
Been a few weeks since I've written out a report but I've had some good finishes of late, a few 2nd places and a 5th in The Presidents Handicap after being pushed out by the 4 A/B grade riders coming around to the final straight.

To this weeks race! Was a very small field this week with 8 riders, lap one and 4 are doing their turns at the front. I should add there is quite a strong 10 - 20km/hr southerly blowing, so for about 1/2 the course you're into it, but then you have a great tailwind along the straight. The race continues and now there is only 3 doing the work, of those one of them falls off the back. It is just myself and one other bloke doing the work and 2 wheel suckers that would not come around and take a turn at all. I joked to the other bloke doing the work that if we stopped I'm sure they would stop as well.

This resulted in very slow race, I tried to attack a few times on the final lap but I never really had enough to actually form any sort of gap and with no real climbs also made it harder. However at one point I thought I had one of the wheel suckers as I looked back I noticed he was taking a drink and I was off, however I looked back and he was still there.

The final sprint:
One of the wheel sucks was actually at the front! He had a little gap perhaps 5m at most and he was slowly ramping his speed up, not wanting to lead the sprint out I held until about 500m to go and I launched I latched onto the guy in front with about 200m to go quickly went around him, however with about 100m to go the other wheel sucker was there and just sprinted straight over the top of me. I looked back and rolled over the line into 2nd place. My speed in that final sprint was 59.4km/h.

Was a pretty crappy race, those two blokes who wouldn't work didn't do anything wrong but they wouldn't take the lead at all. It wasn't as if they didn't have the legs to do the work they just never wanted to. I wish there was a genuine climb that could sort out the pack in races like that.

In better news I will more than likely moving up to D Grade in the coming weeks, which is good as they normally have a nice big field every week.

Stats:
Time: 00:54:40
Avg Speed: 31.2 km/h
Avg Heart rate: 177
Cadence: 71

Strava Data

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm

kirky92au wrote:Was a pretty crappy race, those two blokes who wouldn't work didn't do anything wrong but they wouldn't take the lead at all. It wasn't as if they didn't have the legs to do the work they just never wanted to. I wish there was a genuine climb that could sort out the pack in races like that.
use the crosswinds to turn it up and put them into difficulty. unfortunately there's no rules against wheelsucking and no guarantee that you'll put them into difficulty, but then you can only try.

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

jules21 wrote:
kirky92au wrote:Was a pretty crappy race, those two blokes who wouldn't work didn't do anything wrong but they wouldn't take the lead at all. It wasn't as if they didn't have the legs to do the work they just never wanted to. I wish there was a genuine climb that could sort out the pack in races like that.
use the crosswinds to turn it up and put them into difficulty. unfortunately there's no rules against wheelsucking and no guarantee that you'll put them into difficulty, but then you can only try.
There wasn't really much of a cross wind though, it was either head wind or tail. I did try to attack but I wasn't strong enough to actually break or tire them. Yea I know it isn't against the rules and it clearly works for that guy as he won, it just seems like bad etiquette and makes for a boring race. I think it probably would of been different if pack was bigger as well, but I still had fun and I'll be back another week to beat him xD

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 pm

kirky92au wrote:Yea I know it isn't against the rules and it clearly works for that guy as he won, it just seems like bad etiquette and makes for a boring race.
not for him! there's no etiquette in racing kirk, you do what works best for you. people often feel obliged to work on the front, but that's the equivalent of folding your cards too early in poker. let the race come to a standstill, if you want..

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:36 pm

^^ this discussion is the eternal one when it comes to road racing. I could talk crap for a while on the subject. However I will not. Let me ask you these questions (no right or wrong answer imo).

1) Is winning the main reason why you enter bike races?
2) If all you can do is hang on, but still have enough to sprint at the end, should you not sprint and sit up?
3) Do you feel better about your race and/or your ability if you ride aggressively?

I've had races that I attacked in, did my share at the front and popped and got dropped. I have had other races where I thought if I attack I would not have lasted the race, but at the end I've still had enough to compete and place/win. I've had people ask me where was I the whole race, in quite an aggressive manner. I've also been a little ashamed of how I've reacted in such circumstances. On other occasions I've had people comment to me that I had a strong race and they were glad I did well because of the work I did. I've made similar comments to others as well. I suppose my attempt at making a point is you are not going to be able to race in the same manner week in week out. Have fun and decide what you want from the race, you can't fully control how other will race.

Sorry for the quick rant.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm

btw, great reports Nicko and Kirky :D
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 pm

toppity wrote: 1) Is winning the main reason why you enter bike races?
2) If all you can do is hang on, but still have enough to sprint at the end, should you not sprint and sit up?
3) Do you feel better about your race and/or your ability if you ride aggressively?
1 - Road races to win? ...sometimes yes, sometimes to work for a team mate, sometimes for hard training, sometimes to cause trouble, always for fun ( CX, TT, MTB ... no I will never win but still do to my best effort ).
2 - Sprint if you have it in you... it is a "race" ... why not go for the win?, no gifts :P ... there are a couple of exceptions.
3 - I feel bad about a race if I just sat in the bunch and did nothing but a crap sprint at the end ( unless I just entered for a hard training ride )... rather have tried something and exploded than have had a boring race.

If I go to the front to drive a bunch then it is with an objective, not because I felt pressured to ride on the front. People who get up you because you sat in and won a sprint at the end are not worth worrying about. They should have done everything they could of to break it up before the sprint if they didn't think they had the ability to win. Otherwise you might as well just go on a bunch ride.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Hopefully 1st of 3 for this long weekend

RCCC Criterium - Bentley Tech Park 26 January 2013

First time at in an "open" race and first the Bentley Tech Park circuit, with one difficult corner, downhill, off camber 90 degree that caught a few A graders out later. Another 90 degree corner and a uphill drag to the finish, which should suit me.

I was hoping for another PDCC rider, instead got 4 from PIHC, 3 from SPR and 3 juniors from MCCC in the total of 19 riders. If this was going to be a team tactics race, I was going to be in trouble.

Also racing at the same time as D grade was the B grade women, they would normally be paired with the men's C grade, but due to the size of men's C grade, they would be starting a minute before us and finishing 4 minutes or so later.

The first couple of laps where tough, I was having trouble with the downhill off camber corner, but I was not the only one. Hanging round the back of the field I got caught behind slower riders and had to work hard to get back one.

Then we got caught by B grade women's bunch , instead of letting them past. The lead riders on D grade tucked in behind and we picked up the pace to match the B grade women. The pace was pretty frantic for the next couple of laps, as the B grade women were trying to reduce their numbers and probably drop the D grade men's bunch. The pace was slightly slower after that, but there was still big surges from the women. And it was working, every lap or two, exiting the off camber corner, I would pass a rider o two, who I would not see until the finish. After 10 laps there was about 7 or 8 D graders left and even fewer B grade women (from about a dozen starters). I was thinking top 5 finish, then on the 13th lap, I took the downhill off camber corner badly, lost too much speed and could not drive back onto the bunch and was dropped.

I kept going, hoping to pick up a few stragglers, which is what I did, past three D graders, so top 5 should be mine as long as I kept going and was not lapped. And to practise my cornering, and surprised myself by consistently 36kph on the apex of the off camber corner. After 25 minutes, I passed the finish, yelled "two to go" they said yes, next lapped I yelled "bell" response was "bell", sprinted to the line for what was supposed to be the final time and got told "bell lap" so I rolled off another lap, albeit a tad slower.

Overall happy with my performance, some impressive 5 to 15 minute power figures, but I need to be more confident with my cornering ability, I might not be the best cornerer in the bunch but I am not the worse by far. So I need to ride further up the bunch, to avoid the poorer cornerers and not work so hard out of corners. Let's see if I can put that in action tomorrow.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

2nd of 3? reports for this long weekend

West Coast Master Cycling Club Points Race Smeaton Way 27 January 2013

First ride with WCMCC, second ride at Smeaton Way and second points race, Where you score points, usually 5 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd and 1 for 1st, every certain number of laps, or here every 10 minutes, person with most points win. The race favours riders with explosive bursts of speed, given my limited sprinting prowess, I needed a good plan, which was to get into a good spot for the first sprint, wait until it was over, then launch an attack, get a break and try and stay away for the couple of sprints.

Was sitting in a decent position with half a lap to go to the first sprint, when I got muscled out, partly due to my lack of confidence riding in packs, partly due to the close nature of riding within a WCMCC D grade bunch compared to a PDCC D grade bunch, as well as some very assertive riding. I was back to my usual position of ticket collector at the final corner, do not know if it was the sheer pace of the bunch or my legs not working after yesterday's punishment, I had trouble making it to the front of the group, well the two riders who rolled off the front as a result of their sprint acceleration. Half a lap later, I got to the front and launched my attack, but never got a gap and three quarters a lap later, I was back in the pack, feeling tired.

Plan B let's try that again next sprint, same thing, got muscled out of position, still nowhere near the front in the sprint, still managed to get to the front a little earlier this time, but the same result, within three quarters of a lap, back in the bunch. But now my legs where feeling good, so five minutes later when everybody slowed, I launched another attack, this time I actually got a small gap for more than half a lap, but that was it, the bunch was on my wheel, I stay on the front at a decent pace for almost a lap, when the whistle blew for the sprint next lap and I got swamped, and given the effort I just made, I was not taking part in that sprint.

Still my legs where feeling good, so I thought might as well help my club mates out. Offered to chase down a break, which was not needed, so instead with a few laps to go, I went to the front and set a decent pace to discourage attacks and give my club mates who both could sprint a chance to score more points. After a couple of laps on the front, a small group of riders went past and then promptly settled down to the same pace. So I rolled down to the back to grab a breather and a drink, when on of my club mates attacked as the bell rang. My mistake, I thought we had two laps to go. So I quickly made my way up towards the front. I could probably could of made it across to him and then bury myself on the back straight to help him. On the other hand I could of dragged a few of the bunch across to him. At this point, knowing a good finish for me was out of the question, I had to ride home and I was racing tomorrow, I swung off the bunch and cruised to the finish. My club mate did stay away until the finish, so he did not need my help, my other club mate finished 2nd securing the overall win in D grade.

Todays lesson, you need to be in a good position for any sprint and to do that you need to be confident in your ability to race in a bunch and be assertive in your riding, so you do not lose that position. I really enjoyed my race with WCMCC and I learnt a lot today and gained a lot more confidence. I hope to ride with then again soon, but as their criterium calendar clashes with PDCC criterium calendar. It may have to wait until the road season. When WCMCC races Sunday morning and PDCC Saturday afternoon.

The other interesting thing is my last three criteriums, my power curve has been almost identical and matches the critical power model curve for 250 watts up from the 225 watts before Christmas.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 am

You'll get more confidence the more you race Nickobec and with that confidence you will be able to stop them muscling you out. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 am

foo on patrol wrote:You'll get more confidence the more you race Nickobec and with that confidence you will be able to stop them muscling you out.
Well my new found cornering confidence went straight out the window with the first corner at the Motorplex today, but had no problem keeping my position. But then was no where near the sprint, if there was one in our grade.

PDCC D grade criterium Kwinana Motorplex 28 January 2013

The third race in three days, and while that had some bearing on my performance, it was not the only factor. The Motorplex is my least favourite course, with two tight corners I struggle with. It is also exposed and windy, the 25kph gusting to 40 kph easterly was worse than usual, and I should of realised watching the races before mine getting broken up by the wind.

At the start, the rider in front struggled clipping in, so I was last rider onto the circuit. Approaching the tight single lane 90 degree corner, my new found cornering confidence disappeared and I cautiously made my way round the corner, then had to accelerate really hard to get on the back of the group as somebody put the hammer down. Picked up a spot, as we went down to the hairpin, ended up at an almost dead stop getting round the corner, accelerated hard again to get back on the group, passing a rider on the way, up to the tight 90 degree, too slow through that, worked hard to get back on, defended my position, slow through the hairpin due to traffic, charged hard out the corner, up the hill, improved my position by a spot if I was lucky and so it went.

The riders on the front, even though they had their noses in the wind, had a much easier ride being able to maintain some momentum out of the corners. So they kept their work rate up, and where regularly sending riders out the back of the bunch never to return because of the wind had freshened and turned north easterly. On the sixth lap, I got gapped on the tight 90 degree corner, failed to get back on down the back straight, tried hard on the main straight, but the bunch was keeping the pace up. Rode with another rider for a couple of laps, but in the end could not keep their pace and rode solo to the end, picking off a couple of stragglers to finish 11th.

My power was down about 5% from the previous two days (but still better than a couple of months ago), so the three days of effort did have an impact, but even at full strength my performance would of not been much better. I could of stayed with the other rider and working together with might of picked a couple more stragglers.

My race was run and lost, getting on to the course and getting to the first corner. If I was in the top six at that time, I probably would of been in the top six at the end, but that was not to be, lesson learnt for next time.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

nickobec wrote:My power was down about 5% from the previous two days...
Average or NP?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

twizzle wrote:Average or NP?
More the critical power curve in Goden Cheetah, Saturday and Sunday almost identical, Monday down 5% over various sample points from 5 to 30 minutes

Metric SAT SUN MON
Time 32:38 45:12 41:20
NP 261 254 243
AP 240 228 226
AV HR XXX 149 145

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 pm

AP and NP are separated, so it was a bit surgy... so not entirely comparable. If the numbers were really close, you could treat the efforts as TT's and then the CP numbers would be more useful as a guide. I wouldn't read too much into Monday's performance.

Sent from my iThingy..