I like riding in the rain because.......

gururug

Re: I like riding in the rain because.......

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Nobody else likes cycling in the rain :)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

I love just showing everyone that it can be done.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Erm...because after I spend all that time cleaning the bike afterwards, its nice and shiny...till the next wet ride

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 pm

See Rule #9 :mrgreen:

Sriously? I have no idea why I like it.... just do. Even like driving in the rain. As for cleaning... I was talking to a riding buddy who told me he hated riding in the rain due to all the clean up required after.

Very confused I asked what his cleanup was since mine is " Put bike in garage, hang shoes/gloves/helmet up to dry on the rack next to the bike (where they live regardless of being wet or dry) and go inside for a shower". The chain gets a lube before the next ride (only ever a day or so away) and bike gets a bath once a month or so.

I honestly can't see the point in washing the bike after each wet ride which is what he does. This involves removing the saddle bag (Rule #29-31)/lights then hose/wash/hose/dry bike. Strip shoes, wash and hang to dry and a bunch of other stuff. It's just water with a little dirt.... just let the stuff dry and get a cup of coffee. He doesn't go to that extreame after a long summer ride when the bike is covered in sweat!

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:53 pm

I normally have the bike paths to myself.

But saying that will happen in Feb anyways when all the fair weather riders hang up there bikes till next summer.

But most of all the look the fact that any type of weather i LOVE riding my bikes and hate public transport.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

I love the rules,
Rule #9
// If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

The blokes who wrote these rules are tough riders alright.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 am

Rule #23

If its not cold or wet and you are still wearing covers because your a wuss your name is probably George Hincape. :lol:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 am

I like riding in the rain, adding the right mudguards and training myself to keep a spare set of socks in the office turned it from a feat of trailblazery into an unexpected pleasure. I like how it smells and tastes (yes, that's me with my tongue out). I like how there are so few pedestrians and the ones you do see tend to be compos-mentis and predictable. Less fun when combined with driving wind though (but more impressive!).

I especially like how colleagues go wide-eyed and back slowly away when they realise that yes, that's right, I voluntarily rode in the rain.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

Lizzy wrote:I like riding in the rain, adding the right mudguards and training myself to keep a spare set of socks in the office turned it from a feat of trailblazery into an unexpected pleasure. I like how it smells and tastes (yes, that's me with my tongue out). I like how there are so few pedestrians and the ones you do see tend to be compos-mentis and predictable. Less fun when combined with driving wind though (but more impressive!).

I especially like how colleagues go wide-eyed and back slowly away when they realise that yes, that's right, I voluntarily rode in the rain.

+1 for lizzy, particulary when is its predawn and CEO of multinational company your work gets in the lift, asks how your ride was (expecting a negative answer) and you turn around beaming but dripping wet saying it was good fun. CEO responds with "your crazy" and I respond yes yes I am.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am

I don't mind riding in the rain if I know there's a hot shower waiting at the other end. Having to wipe down the chain and relubing before the next ride is a cost though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 pm

I love it because all the pedestrians and other bike riders are hiding inside! I get a clear run. :D

And a little bit of water doesn't hurt anyone, does it? 8) Heavy cross winds on the other hand, forget it. Those aren't fun with the wheels I've got on my bike. ;)
lachlanfry wrote:CEO of multinational company your work gets in the lift, asks how your ride was (expecting a negative answer) and you turn around beaming but dripping wet saying it was good fun. CEO responds with "your crazy" and I respond yes yes I am.
Haha - awesome! :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I am just a big kid at heart & I like splashing through puddles - just like my 20 month old boy :D

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

...I'd get just as wet walking/waiting for the bus/train/ferry as I do riding.

What I don't like is getting so wet on the way in that my riding clothes (and shoes) don't dry during the day and I have to put them on wet again to ride home at night....eeeuurrgh :cry:

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 pm

... I just like riding. The weather's totally irrelevant :P .

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm

gavinr wrote:...I'd get just as wet walking/waiting for the bus/train/ferry as I do riding.

What I don't like is getting so wet on the way in that my riding clothes (and shoes) don't dry during the day and I have to put them on wet again to ride home at night....eeeuurrgh :cry:
For commuting in pouring rain I do wear "breathable" overpants and jacket, along with neoprene booties and a goretex beanie thing from Kathmandu.

They have to dry off rather than the clothes and shoes.
Last edited by clackers on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Yes, but only if I've got my mudguards and water-proof overshoes and stuff on so that everything is fairly dry after a full day's work so I can ride home again in dry enough gear. There was one day when I first started commuting where I didn't have overshoes and it was torrential Melbourne rain. It took 3 days for my cycling shoes to dry properly. I got overshoes after that... :P

And I also like the lack of other pedestrians or cyclists although I have noticed that car drivers are worse in the rain so I have to be extra cautious at that time as they drive as if it is dry without regard to anyone else around.

EDIT: It makes me smile when I see the cyclist in front of me with the huge mud GT stripe on his pants due to lack of mudguards. :twisted:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

g-boaf wrote:I love it because all the pedestrians and other bike riders are hiding inside! I get a clear run. :D

And a little bit of water doesn't hurt anyone, does it? 8) Heavy cross winds on the other hand, forget it. Those aren't fun with the wheels I've got on my bike. ;)
lachlanfry wrote:CEO of multinational company your work gets in the lift, asks how your ride was (expecting a negative answer) and you turn around beaming but dripping wet saying it was good fun. CEO responds with "your crazy" and I respond yes yes I am.
Haha - awesome! :D
usually when that happens, the CEO has just come off the water after rowing. Our CEO is a world masters rowing champion so he is of similar mind to us crazy early morning all weather cyclists!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 am

...... it is better than not riding.

Like a few others here riding is fun all the time so why let a little water stop us. Also on work days it is the only time I get peace and relaxation during my day - so why miss out even if Mrs Westab can drop me off (and pick me up). The best time I find to think, hum, wistle, sing, & many other things is on the bike - far to important to not do it just because of the rain. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

Summernight wrote: It took 3 days for my cycling shoes to dry properly. I got overshoes after that... :P
If/when you get caught unprepared, stuffing them afterwards with newspaper cuts down the time they're unusable. Some would say that's the only thing you should do with the Herald-Sun. :smile:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 pm

clackers wrote:
Summernight wrote: It took 3 days for my cycling shoes to dry properly. I got overshoes after that... :P
If/when you get caught unprepared, stuffing them afterwards with newspaper cuts down the time they're unusable. Some would say that's the only thing you should do with the Herald-Sun. :smile:
My parrot would beg to differ - the feral hun is perfect as a cage liner :D
westab wrote:...... it is better than not riding.

Like a few others here riding is fun all the time so why let a little water stop us. Also on work days it is the only time I get peace and relaxation during my day - so why miss out even if Mrs Westab can drop me off (and pick me up). The best time I find to think, hum, wistle, sing, & many other things is on the bike - far to important to not do it just because of the rain. :D
Do you do a good Gene Kelly impersonation - sans umbrella of course ?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 am

anyone got tips on how to dodge the lightening??? :cry:

Dont mind the water, but looks like my ride home today will involve some ugly stuff....oh well first day of Feb, guess the good weather had to stop sometime

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 pm

gretaboy wrote:anyone got tips on how to dodge the lightening??? :cry:
Don't ride ala Comedian with an umbrella

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Stay near buildings and trees larger than you and keep your head down? You are on rubber tyres, which should be insulating so hopefully the lightning won't find a earthing point through you... At least, that's what I hope. :lol:

I cycled to work in a thunderstorm once - I was getting a bit concerned as the lightning was getting quite close - lucky for me I had trees and big buildings nearby. I kept cycling. And it was raining too. I survived. XP
clackers wrote:If/when you get caught unprepared, stuffing them afterwards with newspaper cuts down the time they're unusable. Some would say that's the only thing you should do with the Herald-Sun. :smile:
Thank you. We don't buy or use those real-life newspaper thingys at home -online all the way. However I will probably steal yesterday's Fin Review from work if needed. :lol:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

It's Friday mate - leave early and ride fast REALY FAAAAAST :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 pm

westab wrote:
It's Friday mate - leave early and ride fast REALY FAAAAAST :D
hahaha I have decided to aim up for two strava KOM's actually....wind is going my way so will give it a crack despite feeling knackered