need help please

giovanni0100

need help please

Postby giovanni0100 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:21 am

hi all,
id like to ask some of the experienced cyclists out there for some help. :P

ive just started out bicycling and im quite the rookie. i recently bought my bike for around 20 of your pink queen notes from a local pawn shop (im an italian national). im not quite sure how much this is as ive just migrated from italy and i find the conversions and currency a little bit confusing.

i bought the bike at night so i wasnt able to see a problem that i later did see. the tyres on the bike are making a clicking sound and ive tried to use my tyre wrench on them and i cant quite pull them off, its making me feel like very agitated.

the king of the shop as he called himself told me i could trust him and there will be no issues with the bike because his shop is right next door to the arch bishop. the owner has castled me into this situation, corning me and offering no refund. this fianchetto, how you say is despicable and i have never encountered such rudeness. :cry:

im now stuck with a bicycle that isnt working and im having trouble getting my wrench to take the tyre off. :cry:

if someone could explain to me as im very confused on how i should get the tire off would be greatly appreciated. im sorry for my grammer as im not strong in english yet.

thank you. :D :D :D :D

RonK

Re: need help please

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 am

Good one. Sounds like checkmate to me... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 am

check the pin between the forks and remove the skewer
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

OP looses whatever drunken bet he made. No knight in the story.

giovanni0100

Postby giovanni0100 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 pm

how do i check the fork? the bikes manual said i need alans keys to remove the family fork set i dont think i have these

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

You did well getting a manual from a pawn shop, most people only steal the bike, not the manual as well.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Life gets boring on a wet long weekend, doesn't it?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm sorry to say that the bike you bought from the pawn shop sounds identical to my bike which was stolen recently. It had the exact same problem with getting the tyre off that you mention. Please take the bike to the nearest police station and I will pick it up. Thanks.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm

giovanni0100 wrote:hi all,

ive just started out bicycling and im quite the rookie. i recently bought my bike for around 20 of your pink queen notes from a local pawn shop (im an italian national). im not quite sure how much this is as ive just migrated from italy and i find the conversions and currency a little bit confusing.

i bought the bike at night so i wasnt able to see a problem that i later did see. the tyres on the bike are making a clicking sound and ive tried to use my tyre wrench on them and i cant quite pull them off, its making me feel like very agitated.

the king of the shop as he called himself told me i could trust him and there will be no issues with the bike because his shop is right next door to the arch bishop. the owner has castled me into this situation, corning me and offering no refund. this fianchetto, how you say is despicable and i have never encountered such rudeness. :cry:

im now stuck with a bicycle that isnt working and im having trouble getting my wrench to take the tyre off. :cry:

if someone could explain to me as im very confused on how i should get the tire off would be greatly appreciated. im sorry for my grammer as im not strong in english yet.

thank you. :D :D :D :D
Giovanni, your language skills are excellent. Your use of tenses in your typing is better than many Australian high school students and your grammatical contractions are first rate, showing you have a full and concise grasp of the written word. Also, your understanding of chess is well up to scratch, as is your use of such terms in similarity-based humour.

Even such things as understanding the difference between "bought" and "brought" shows a strong grasp of higher-level literary skills and replacing a simple word such as "upset" with the more complex "agitated". indicates you have a real understanding of the more complex levels of the English language.

I'd love to know who taught you this level of English because he or she has done a magnifico job.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Giovanni - happy to help. what state are you in? we'll meet at the local police station

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 pm

How time flys; first of April already.

Dago quickly :D

giovanni0100

Postby giovanni0100 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm

thank you gorilla for your kind words. i have been studying the enlgish language for over 10 years now but i often struggle with real life pronunciation of names, places and references which scatter slang throughout. (spell check features are of course a godsend)

i hope the references towards suggesting i have bought a stolen bike do not come to fruition, as i have studied law in my time and i am aware that the common law system in Australia grants better title to the original owner of the bicycle. i don't particularly want to be left out of pocket with my only recourse being against the thief and or the owner of the pawn shop. given the poor experience ive had with the pawn shop owner, id imagine ill have difficultly securing any refund as previously mentioned, especially factoring in this new found knowledge.

digressing and assuming i've purchased a legitimate bicycle, ill soon post a photo later today or tomorrow (if this is an available option) on this forum, detailing the problem i am experiencing.

i would like to add on my brief time perusing this forum i have found a multitude of valuable information which has assisted me as a rookie rider, and would like to say it appears to be a welcoming environment which i hope to be able to contribute as much as possible in the near future.

OH, and to avoid further confusion down the line, if it actually is possible to upload a photo, would somebody be able to direct me as to how, as i haven't immediately seen an option.

thank you.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Giovanni is a faster learner than he gives himself credit for - his english is improving with each post.

Perhaps it's really his italian that is poor.

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm

"which has assisted me as a rookie rider"

haha I thought you'd find a way to get it in somehow!

arkle

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 am

arkle wrote:"which has assisted me as a rookie rider"

haha I thought you'd find a way to get it in somehow!

arkle
Yeah, he had castle in the first post, but I was impressed with the rook-ie bit. Still no knight, though. I thought it would be an easy one.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:19 am

Ah, but a knight is not straight forward.

I would have thought the OP was sicilian

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 am

Which one is the 'pink queen note'? Is that 5 or 20?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 am

find_bruce wrote:Ah, but a knight is not straight forward.

I would have thought the OP was sicilian
So why doesn't he just leave a horse's head in the shop owners bed ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 am

giovanni0100 wrote:hi all,

ive just started out bicycling and im quite the rookie. i recently bought my bike for around 20 of your pink queen notes from a local pawn shop ...
Is this the pawn shop with a sign in the window saying

"Shop here before the day goes by" ?
Too old to live, too slow to die.

bi_cyclist

Postby bi_cyclist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Giovanni,

It seems noone has actually attempted to help you. Are you actually having troubles with your tyre? What are you trying to get off - the tyre or wheel? What do you mean by tyre wrench? Being new I dont know about posting images but it might be easier to upload it to Imgur (requires account) and simply link us to it. Maybe then we can help you out.

Also, with the weird chess thing -
i bought the bike at night so i wasnt able to see a problem that i later did see.
Perhaps that was his attempt at 'knight'?

The Bi_Cyclist.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm

RonK wrote:Good one. Sounds like checkmate to me... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe he was just board.

giovanni0100

Postby giovanni0100 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Well the shop is in Newtown - Sydney which has a checkered yet weathered shop front, appears to be an older building. Warning bells should have sounded when the owner (presumed as he appeared far too old to simply be an employee) opened the door for me but deliberately hindered the access of the dark skinned man entering with me. He muttered something along the lines of whites first.

Knowing me though im always after a bargain, and the Lance Armstrong fiasco has me hot and sticky for some quality saddle time.

I honestly don't know why I choose to buy it from the pawn shop after I had just received a hard earned promotion after capturing some vital sales (work in sales - depressing) and thought id upgrade from my single speed bike to a all conquering road bike.

i think the warning signs were overridden when i saw the bike in the central position of the store, took no notice of the variety offered on the outside and was blindsided into this piece of garbage. Simply put, it was endgame for me and a classical book win for the clearly racist individual.

I ride home and notice clicking, brakes rubbing (fixed that) the tires not true (fixed that) - clicking of the tire.

----------------------
Most definitely the tire bicyclist. It came with some tools when I bought as with the manual as I was told the pawn shop received it shortly after Christmas and i presume it was just a Christmas reject bike. In the manual this was listed as a 'tire wrench' I’ll make an account in due course on this site and link it on a post here.

Thank you for your help.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Giovanni, you seem to have lost your italian accent, and your struggle with english "grammer" has disappeared too. :roll: :) :) :)

giovanni0100

Postby giovanni0100 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

RonK wrote:Giovanni, you seem to have lost your italian accent, and your struggle with english "grammer" has disappeared too. :roll: :) :) :)
If this is true, I thank you dearly for the compliment. The orginal post was 2-3am in the morning. Contrary to the fact I have been described as a 'wog immigrant' by some, my education has put me in good stead to communicate my ideas adequately.

This further illustrates my shock when the pawn shop owner opened the door for me describing me as white, theres a first for everything.

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

giovanni0100 wrote:
RonK wrote:Giovanni, you seem to have lost your italian accent, and your struggle with english "grammer" has disappeared too. :roll: :) :) :)
If this is true, I thank you dearly for the compliment. The orginal post was 2-3am in the morning. Contrary to the fact I have been described as a 'wog immigrant' by some, my education has put me in good stead to communicate my ideas adequately.

This further illustrates my shock when the pawn shop owner opened the door for me describing me as white, theres a first for everything.
haha great opening and self promotion giovanni! it doesn't fool me! stead indeed

do you play much chess? i wonder if it's common amongst cyclists... anyone fancy a game?

arkle