The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g_dorazio

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g_dorazio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am

mjd wrote:All good, hard tempo = high z3
Yep, solid. Sounds like we're pushing about the same numbers :-D

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Gentle zone 1 roll into and out of the office. ~170W average either way.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 am

Trying to get a bit of riding in... but it is either too cold to go long... or too wet to go long. Not that I think I could go very long at a good pace at the moment, plus I don't see the point of going long at a more subdued pace considering racing season starts soon. Way too soon!.
Anyway headed out today thinking if I felt good ( which I usually do on a Tuesday after a quiet Monday ) I would do a test... I have a 2.8km section I like at the end of an 8km climb ( strav'd of course ) on the smoothest road you've ever seen. They do hill climb motor racing here every so often. Av's at 5.6%.
First test of the year, hit it cautiously after a good warm up on the start of the climb beforehand... then settled into a good pace. I :oops: thought I might have done a PR ( will never even pretend that I could get a KOM here ). But when I got home I realized I was 72 seconds slower than my best time of 504 secs... whoops.
Thats nearly 15% slower than my best!. Got lots of work to do... ok you can't compare Jan form to June form ( winter vs summer ), plus I weigh 5 or 6 kilos more than I did last June ( still the lightest I have ever started a season though in a few years ), plus I was wearing 2 kilos more clothing than I would in summer, that's dry weight... was probably 3 or 4 kilos in its soaking wet state.
Anyway LOTS of excuses... some valid, some soft... lots of work to do.
First race in less than 4 weeks :lol: .

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am

5 or 6kg of winter warmth ;)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm right on 94kg at the moment, but fitter than I have ever been before. Did 86km at tempo on Monday, from home out to Lake George, 29.7kph average outbound, 34.7kph home. 2700 kj at the wheel, didn't bonk.

And had fun today. Got caught up in a bunch, dropped then on Northbourne Ave cruising at 45kph. On my cross bike with guards and a heavy backpack. :twisted:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 pm

g_dorazio wrote:5 or 6kg of winter warmth ;)
Yes mate... I just can't get the km's in in winter... but it is starting to warm up :D .
All going well I will get some serious climbing down in the next couple of days... core and climbing challenge both need some catching up on :mrgreen: .

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:04 am

My saturday Ride was great, longest ride to date, finishing up at 130km's, then that afternoon when and did 2 hours mtb 'ing. Pulled up ok on Sunday, so hopefully i'll be able to do that 100mile challange on strava this sunday, riding from Darwin to Mandorah which should be fun, pending weather!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 am

Finally got some riding in!, 10 hours in the last 3 days... Felt it today on the climbs, but I'll never be a climber ;) .
Was very worried when my knee gave me huge pains last sunday. But on Tuesday I remembered after a pretty tough 115kms on the Saturday, I had been stretching on the floor with my knees up and the kids had sat on my knees to watch telly !... Can only put it down do that as after 2 days off they have been fine.
Did have a huge cramp on the inner thigh above my knee last night while watching Telly... Hate those!.
Anyway, too late for "base" k's as the season is already here!... Just been too cold and snowy. Really didn't enjoy Saturdays club ride as there was too many of us, which means cars take risks getting past and training wise you spend to much time sitting in the bunch... The last 15kms hard at the end of 115 km's doesn't really make up for it!.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 pm

I got in my first ride after the off and all the associated complications. I got a wheel adjusted to get it true again and just wanted to check it - but it felt really good to get back on the bike. :)

Mostly went pretty slow around pedestrians but I did pick up the speed to 45km/h and held it there for about a kilometre when there was nobody else about. Backed off as my leg still isn't 100% healed (nearly there) and didn't want to get it too sweaty (which would be a bit yucky).

Yeah, that was fun. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Good to hear G-Boaf but don't over do it, as it will set you back so much more, than coming back steadily. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good to hear G-Boaf but don't over do it, as it will set you back so much more, than coming back steadily. :idea:

Foo
Oh don't worry about that - Mother Nature has forced me to take it easy, it's pouring down rain at the moment, has done all day and looks like it'll do the same tomorrow! :roll: Evil weather! But as I said in another thread, it's damn good to be back on the bike. :D

I'm just trying to get rid of the fluid/swelling that was related to the infection. The fluid is still hanging around a bit in my foot and lower leg, though it's not as bad as it was. It's quite difficult to keep the leg elevated high enough to drain the fluid away completely.

Looking at the leg today, it's just about completely healed up - though I've got some scars left over which I'll use vitamin E cream on to hopefully get rid of them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Another 25km today. Taking it easy still.

I've got to get faster again, I just lost a KOM on a 1.3km hill. :( Beaten by 2secs and 0.6km/h average speed. Got to get that back. I'll try to push the average up over 40km/h - I think it's within reach. :twisted:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Sunday Morning Decided to do that Strava 100 mile challenge, this would be my biggest ride to date! have only done a 100km ride and 130km ride, so this was going to be very testing

Set out at 4:45am to meet the group riding to Mandorah from Fanny bay (30km ride to get to the group) meet them at 6 and set out, was going great till I got to the 120 km mark, these guys all around 40 plus are just amazing, the heat up here at the moment, and they just kept powering on at 32 - 33 km/h not slowing for the hills etc, I was at my limit and starting to hurt, they all helped me keep with the group and slowed a few time on some of the hills, at the 145km mark i was screwed, and we where so close to mandorah I just said id meet them there , I was still pushing along at 31 - 32 but they all sprint the last 5 or so km's, at the 150 mark it was a hill and i was over it, my legs hurt my arse hurt and i just sat there in a granny gear plodding along! but i managed to do 153km's straight up with maybe 3 5 minute brakes, I can tell you it took it's toll, Court the ferry back home, stopped at home for a bit, of a rest and water, then set off again, got to 160.5 km and thought wooohooo that's it! loaded up onto strava and only came up with 99% fyi 100 is 160.923 km's :( bugger! but was a good learning curve and now know my limit

also learnt never to judge a book buy a cover, older guys might not always have the perfect cyclist looks, but man these guys could ride!

wish me luck for next month :) try to do it all again

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Still a good effort Poohkies. I came up against some 70yr old plus blokes at Christmas time when I went for my first bunch ride in 30yrs and :shock: :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Went to try and attack my favourite hill for a few goes - but I was really feeling like garbage today, no energy, weak as anything. Even feeling a bit like I was going to throw up. :( Really struggled today.

I think a few cups of HTFU are in order.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 am

Ha... I tried to do a sub 3 hour 100k today... Was on track until bidon froze solid, around the two hour mark. Tried to have a gel but it was too frozen. At the two hour mark I started get cold and wind wasn't being very nice. 94.1 in 2h56.
Wasn't pretty by the time I got home, certain parts were rather frozen.
Think my form is ok, so can only put it down to the weather :-) .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 am

Sucks to be you TLL when you need a drink and something to eat on a ride! :shock: :lol:

You could of sucked it like an iceblock I guess. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 am

That would have meant slowing down :P . Bloody hard to do anything with giant gloves on!.
Lack of drink didn't help... but I don't think it was the main problem, I just started fading... then started getting cold as I was pretty damp.
Good ride though with blueish sky the whole time :D .

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 am

nice easy 24 km's this morning riding with a mate, leg's are still a little sore from Sundays Ride! Did a few hills which is good, need to do more hills

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 pm

I seemed to get headwinds in both directions today, but it was a better run today. A few slow bits for some peds and other cyclists, but that's a good opportunity to quickly get back up to the speed I was doing before. Might hit the M7 on Saturday morning and go out to Prestons.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm ususally the epitomy of Rule #9 as in "on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face" but honestly... I cannot remember the last dry ride I had! It's been probably 6 weeks and my entusiasm is starting to wane. For some sick reason I like riding in the rain, probably because it's cooler (as in temperature) but this morning I just thought "not again". Fortunatly I waited only a minute and it stopped. Getting wet whilst already on the bike is for some reason no drama but riding out into the rain can be. Hopefully tomorrow is dry.

Still I'd rather be wet than have to put up with frozen biddons! Bugger THAT!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Puffy wrote:I'm ususally the epitomy of Rule #9 as in "on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face" but honestly... I cannot remember the last dry ride I had! It's been probably 6 weeks and my entusiasm is starting to wane. For some sick reason I like riding in the rain, probably because it's cooler (as in temperature) but this morning I just thought "not again". Fortunatly I waited only a minute and it stopped. Getting wet whilst already on the bike is for some reason no drama but riding out into the rain can be. Hopefully tomorrow is dry.

Still I'd rather be wet than have to put up with frozen biddons! Bugger THAT!
6 weeks of wet riding! Your drive train, BB, wheelset and headset bearings must be starting to get a bit gritty.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 pm

55km today, in the rain - one section had flooding. :(

Hoping for a better day soon without rain.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 pm

After a really good session Tuesday, I started coughing Tuesday night :evil: ... Wednesday wasn't pretty and hardly got out of bed, hopefully on the mend now but unlikely to race this weekend...SUX!!!.