A funny thing happened on the ride to...

ColinOldnCranky

A funny thing happened on the ride to...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am

I had one of those odd incidents that sorta sounds very strange when you say it out loud.

So I thought, we all have one or two of these things that are really wierd, something really funny or just unforgetably quirky. And those things SHOULD be stated out loud.

So, if you got pinged for speeding, had to pay a toll bridge 'cos you aren't a pedestrian or were rousted for excessive noise, breath tested by the booze bus or anything at all that really doesn't fit with riding a bike, this is the place to tell us about it.

And to get the ball rolling, I will now tell yo about my particular oddity...
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Pushy

Re: A funny thing happened on the ride to...

Postby Pushy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And to get the ball rolling, I will now tell yo about my particular oddity...
Waiting :P
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 am

For anyone who saw me late yesterday on the South Perth/Como PSP more thrashing than riding this is the story.

Yesterday arvo I had a rare flat on the long ride home.

Nothing worth mentioning you'd think. But in my case the flat was in my seat. I had quickly gone from comfortably sitting on my saddle to uncomfortably sitting on hard plastic.

You see, I have an "air seat", something unique to unicyclists and even then quite uncommon.

The Ride from the Narrows to Canning Bridge became a series of half kilometre furious and ugly sprints interspersed with 80 quick pumps before setting off on another sprint. Calculating it all back I would say that I followed a fairly textbook set of interval training. About three minutes of ultra-fast cadenceand then a minute to dismount, re-inflate, remount and get back up to speed.

It didn't look pretty but it got me to the next train station. :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am

Pushy wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And to get the ball rolling, I will now tell yo about my particular oddity...
Waiting :P
Well, now I know why you go by the name Pushy. :mrgreen:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am

An air seat isn't like an air guitar?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 pm

You had to give your seat a blow job? :shock: Shades of Flying High and "quick, inflate the auto-pilot!"
Not my circus, not my monkeys

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi ColinOldnCranky,
Its not like you can ride up out of the saddle either. I would think you would immediately lose around 80 mm of seat height when the thing went down. :D

I probably can't compete with any thing like that , except to see a kid on a bike in front of me without a hat, and an oncoming rider.
The on comer was just starting to admonish the errant youth, and began tapping his own lid. Must have been a new chum, as in his righteous indignation, he then got off the path which had a separation crack along the edge like a tram line. He neatly went over the bars and down an embankment.
The boy and I helped the poor man back up and he was ok, and the first thing he said was "see the helmet saved my life"....... C'est la vie
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi ColinOldnCranky,
Its not like you can ride up out of the saddle either. I would think you would immediately lose around 80 mm of seat height when the thing went down. :D

I probably can't compete with any thing like that , except to see a kid on a bike in front of me without a hat, and an oncoming rider.
The on comer was just starting to admonish the errant youth, and began tapping his own lid. Must have been a new chum, as in his righteous indignation, he then got off the path which had a separation crack along the edge like a tram line. He neatly went over the bars and down an embankment.
The boy and I helped the poor man back up and he was ok, and the first thing he said was "see the helmet saved my life"....... C'est la vie
:lol: :lol: I love that story as there is nothing like leading by example. :lol: :lol: