Is the internet killing bike shops?

Saturnstarzz

Is the internet killing bike shops?

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Interesting article in The Age Today.

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 2da2q.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I for one will always choose my LBS over wiggle / online cause I want things now and John the owner of my LBS in Newport VIC is a top bloke. :D

He lets me ogle (AT) the Bianci's in his shop. :mrgreen:

What are ppls thoughts?

Ross

Re: Is the internet killing bike shops?

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

Subject has been done to death a million times

boss

Postby boss » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

Wow. That article added a fat load of nothing to an already tired conversation topic.

Enter a bunch of people saying they shop locally for a, b, c reasons. Then enter a bunch of people who say they shop overseas for x, y, z reasons.

a = check products out in the flesh and try them on
b = nice guys at the shop, support local
c = good service

x = cheaper
y = more product selection
z = convenient

And then there are the bright sparks who come along and say this new paradigm is an opportunity for agile shops to move from supplying products to supplying a service and acting as a hub of knowledge.

Oh and I almost forgot the guys that say shops positioned to supply entry level goods will continue to flourish, while those that are serving the higher end enthusiast are likely to suffer the most from online shopping. Because, of course, beginners will be less courageous with online purchases.

Now let's all move on. Everything that's could be said has been said and none of it adds any value to my existence.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am

boss wrote:Wow. That article added a fat load of nothing to an already tired conversation topic.

Enter a bunch of people saying they shop locally for a, b, c reasons. Then enter a bunch of people who say they shop overseas for x, y, z reasons.

c = good service

x = cheaper
z = convenient

And then there are the bright sparks who come along and say this new paradigm is an opportunity for agile shops to move from supplying products to supplying a service and acting as a hub of knowledge.

Oh and I almost forgot the guys that say shops positioned to supply entry level goods will continue to flourish, while those that are serving the higher end enthusiast are likely to suffer the most from online shopping. Because, of course, beginners will be less courageous with online purchases.

Now let's all move on. Everything that's could be said has been said and none of it adds any value to my existence.
But you did forget to mention one old chestnut - the attempt at emotional blackmail by claiming that by buying on the internet will be no "jobs for your kids/Aussies".
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

boss

Postby boss » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 am

Ah, as if I forgot that one. It's my favourite. Dey took our jerbs!

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 pm

RonK wrote: the attempt at emotional blackmail.
Jeepers Ron - blackmail? If you're going to patronise overseas shops, not pay your taxes, etc etc, you can't be over-sensitive to a little criticism from the locals. :wink:

Speaking of whom, I came across this comprehensive summary of the issues from the local bike industries' point of view - their submission to the productivity commission. Covers just about every issue on one side of the topic.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi lachlanfry ,
Your post at the top of the page, just look across to the right and you will see about 10 overseas LB shop sales houses. I am not sure but that may be your reply. :D

In Vic where I live, there have to be a half dozen LBS's. Not one has a bike rack in front of it to park your bike........I find that interesting.When I was a kid you bought your bike at Dandy sports and it always had a bike rack out the front. And those guys knew about bikes.

Boss , that is just the best video clip in along time..... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by outnabike on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

boss

Postby boss » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

That submission pretty much covers it all.

I like this quote
By waiving GST and import duties, the Government is preferencing international traders over Australian businesses and giving them a price discount advantage of 15‐20%; that is, 10% GST and 5‐10% duties. This is extremely concerning to Australian retailers as they cannot compete on an equitable basis in an otherwise competitive market.
:roll:

The costs surrounding helmet standards are interesting reading though.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

lachlanfry wrote:Interesting article in The Age Today.

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 2da2q.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I for one will always choose my LBS over wiggle / online cause I want things now and John the owner of my LBS in Newport VIC is a top bloke. :D

He lets me ogle (AT) the Bianci's in his shop. :mrgreen:

What are ppls thoughts?
I purchase online becuase that's the only way I can afford it, if I had to go LBS then I would have to wait longer- until the funds were available.
Therefore the question of "waiting" for inline purchases does not matter anymore.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm

boss wrote:Wow. That article added a fat load of nothing to an already tired conversation topic.

c = good service

x = cheaper
z = convenient

^^^ This. End of thread.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

theprophet

Postby theprophet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Bike shops will never die. Even as people start buying parts on the internet people will still still pay for services and tune ups and all the stuff that is needed by people that don't work on their bikes. Heaps of people still buy local for the support they get after they buy and the help choosing. Great news is bike shops are here to stay

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Contact a LBS to get a garmin edge 810 for me
4 days later nothing and they hadn't heard from the supplier. Where do I go, bikebug vs HTA. Bikebug won due to $50 cheaper.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Howzat wrote: Speaking of whom, I came across this comprehensive summary of the issues from the local bike industries' point of view - their submission to the productivity commission. Covers just about every issue on one side of the topic.
Comprehensive meaning comprehensive apart from mentioning that the bulk of the price differences laying squarely at the feet of the distributors.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Contact a LBS to get a garmin edge 810 for me
4 days later nothing and they hadn't heard from the supplier. Where do I go, bikebug vs HTA. Bikebug won due to $50 cheaper.
you cant say u didnt try. That would erk me too.

Its times like that, that make you wonder what LBS's complain about when it comes to online shopping.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm

rpmspinman wrote:

Its times like that, that make you wonder what LBS's complain about when it comes to online shopping.
Bikebug is a LBS in Sydney

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Philipthelam wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:

Bikebug is a LBS in Sydney
Ok cheers for letting me know. Their website looks pretty decent. Wonder if that place was further or closer to Baalzamon's home?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Ok cheers for letting me know. Their website looks pretty decent. Wonder if that place was further or closer to Baalzamon's home?
Baalzamon is in Western Australia.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:Ok cheers for letting me know. Their website looks pretty decent. Wonder if that place was further or closer to Baalzamon's home?
Baalzamon is in Western Australia.

Andrew
Correct
Now I'm playing the waiting game. Will I get the Edge 810 by Friday. If I had been able to order from a LBS at the RRP.... I may have been given a time frame, but I did ring around and none seemed to have it in stock and had to order it. Only had the bundled versions in stock which I didn't need having cadence & HRM already.
Bikebug have on their website orders will ship next day if received by 5:30pm AEST. Mine had been received by 5:30pm AEST having ordered on the 26th so should ship today.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Isn't it just crappy service that kills off lbs?

I know the crappy service I got made up my mind not to go back.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 pm

ozzymac wrote:Isn't it just crappy service that kills off lbs?

I know the crappy service I got made up my mind not to go back.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
Well I know I learnt how to service my bike myself after having a FD cable slip after being in and brakes squealing after a service as well.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

boss wrote:That submission pretty much covers it all.

I like this quote
By waiving GST and import duties, the Government is preferencing international traders over Australian businesses and giving them a price discount advantage of 15‐20%; that is, 10% GST and 5‐10% duties. This is extremely concerning to Australian retailers as they cannot compete on an equitable basis in an otherwise competitive market.
That is so funny to read :lol: :lol: Competitive local bike industry?? They're kidding right?

Bung on the GST, bung on the 5% duty and the shipping. The overseas store prices will still be 30-50% cheaper.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:15 am

I got to WA at the beginning of winter.
I've visited at least 10 different bike shops (maybe more).
Based on service, "maybe" I'd spend a dollar in two.
The standard of customer service is shocking quite frankly although no different from other types of stores I've visited.
No suggestion from me that its different in Sydney but these days I rarely bother with LBS because of it.
It seems if your not buying whats currently part of the "in stock" people arnt interested.
No worries as wiggle, c r c, evans etc just love my money and cant get enough of it. :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 am

only the bad ones

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 am

I wont say I know a lot about bikes.

I would say I am still relatively new to this biking thing, and as such I need to research a lot before I try and buy a solution to my perceived issues.

On my first encounter with an LBS I couldn't help but feel something was off. I didn't know what but thought I was being ripped big time. This was when I was looking around. I have been back since once and I can now state with confidence I was.

The second shop was miles better and I actually bought my bike from them. I would still be going there except my wife went in last christmas to purchase something specific, had a written description of it and as they didn't have it they sold her something similar that couldn't do what was on the note she had and refused to swap it after christmas.

The third shop I tried has been in my area for over 20 years. As it happens I work with the chap that started the business but I didn't know that at the time. On my first visit they seeemed fine. On my second my sense started twitching and on the third I was convinced they too were trying to take advantage of me.

This is three stores in my area. There are no more LBS within 12 kilometres of my home. I no longer frequent any of them and refuse to deal with them.

IE is easier.