Quick Question - Syd CBD Bike shop

dreison

Quick Question - Syd CBD Bike shop

Postby dreison » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 am

Hi all,

I need to get a couple of tubes, floor pump and some tyre levers today. I work in the Sydney CBD and I just wanted advice to which bike shops would offer somewhat reasonable prices.
I don't need top of the line and I’m happy to pay a bit more for convenience but a some suggestions would make me feel more relaxed about paying top dollar.

Thanks in advance!

biker jk

Re: Quick Question - Syd CBD Bike shop

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am

Try City Bike Depot at 305 Kent St. Clarence Street Cycles is very, very expensive.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am

Your computer...wiggle . although bikebug seemed to have some good tyre pricing when i had a look yesterday. :shock:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 am

bardygrub wrote:Your computer...wiggle . although bikebug seemed to have some good tyre pricing when i had a look yesterday. :shock:
The OP said he needed those things today and from the Sydney CBD.

dreison

Postby dreison » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks biker jk , I'll give them a go.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm

biker jk wrote:
bardygrub wrote:Your computer...wiggle . although bikebug seemed to have some good tyre pricing when i had a look yesterday. :shock:
The OP said he needed those things today and from the Sydney CBD.
Well excuse me :!:

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

+1 for CBD - top bokes

dreison

Postby dreison » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for all the responses - got what I needed from City Bike Depot.
Service was great, i'll happily go back.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

dreison wrote:Thanks for all the responses - got what I needed from City Bike Depot.
Service was great, i'll happily go back.
Nice to hear :)

A good friend of mine is part owner of City Bike Depot (CBD) so ill make sure he is aware of this positive feedback.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:52 pm

I went there for the first time the other week. I don't know why i'd never been in there before? Ive been to all the other shops in the city over the years. Really nice blokes, good service and no attitude at all. A really nice shop too, some interesting old bikes on display.

tk38

Postby tk38 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 pm

CBD is definitely the best in terms of customer service.

Super friendly and they always try to help as much as possible. Took my bike in to clarence to fix a weird knocking sound, and all I remember is them talking about pricing and labor hours to investigate the sound.

Went to CBD, put me on the trainer immediately found the sound. Picked it up in the arvo, fixed for $18... unbelievable service.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am

Had a little chat to the owner of CBD last night & he's rather chuffed in regards the responses on here. Not that he'd expect otherwise of course :wink: I'm sure he'd be sporting an extra big smile while tearing up the waves off the coast with all this wild weather about lately.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

tk38 wrote:CBD is definitely the best in terms of customer service.

Super friendly and they always try to help as much as possible. Took my bike in to clarence to fix a weird knocking sound, and all I remember is them talking about pricing and labor hours to investigate the sound.

Went to CBD, put me on the trainer immediately found the sound. Picked it up in the arvo, fixed for $18... unbelievable service.
I'm going to try them, I have to get a front wheel trued. Don't mind Clarence however, I've usually got good deals out of them.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:19 pm

City Bike Depot also put back a huge amount into the riding community, without expecting much back.

Hugh Flower, one of the owners, helped get Trail Care off the ground, which is currently working with Warringah Council in getting volunteer trail maintenance days back and running (had our first two in 5 years towards the end of 2012). Trail Care has also had significant input into the new NPWS cycling policy that is going to result in new trails in Bantry Bay, has assisted with lobbying for the Old Mans Valley mtb park that will officially open near the Hornsby CBD in a few weeks, and is currently working on a MOU with land managers in the Oxford Falls / Red Hill area to get an All-Mountain and Cross Country circuit authorised across the patchwork quilt of tenures.

Their prices are reasonable for a CBD bike shop - better than paying retail + 20% like you do at Clarence St and the Specialized concept store. Their service is excellent and the head mechanic reminds me of Groundskeeper WIllie

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:31 pm

gururug wrote:+1 for CBD - top bokes
+1 They stock Rock 'N Roll Gold and Roeckl gloves
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 am

Went to City Bike Depot today to pick up a few bits and pieces. Nice store and so handy. +1 from me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 am

I'll give them a +1 too. I picked up a light from there. They seem okay.

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:58 pm

+1 for CBD bikes. Their service is good.
Bloke upstairs in the service department, goes by the name of Joe.......down to earth, friendly and helpful, can't ask for more than that.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

nomadicsoul

Postby nomadicsoul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Good recommendation. I went to Clarence St and had both the best and worst service in one visit. Was looking at a new helmet, a girl came up and I made it clear I was just browsing. She was extremely helpful, found out what size and type would be best for me with no obligation to buy. In the end, decided to buy and the guy who then serve me was incredibly arrogant. I was also interested in cycling glasses (Adidas) and asked if I could try some on - he simply quipped 'oh, so you can just go to an optometrist to buy them?' - this is just after I bought an expensive helmet!

Must check out CBD Bikes! Thanks 'biker jk'

bollo

Postby bollo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:14 pm

http://www.this link is broken/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & they have a store on Parramatta Rd not far from the city
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Randomly, my wife bought some gloves for me there when she was giving flu vax at one of the Big 4 banks near Kent St. She said the same thing about CBD; courteous/helpful.
Au cointreau, I walked into Cell in Stanmore a few years ago, before I got the retro bug; was looking to talk about a new roadie. Only initial enquiry, but.... got shrug/couldn't-care-less treatment from a guy there.
OK, it was near closing time, but still. Some people should not be in the retail interface.
humanbeing wrote:
gururug wrote:+1 for CBD - top bokes
+1 They stock Rock 'N Roll Gold and Roeckl gloves
They were Roeckl. Best gloves I've ever had.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

TedDancin

Postby TedDancin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Just got an text to say CBD is closing down, liquidation sale tomorrow to clear the rest of the stock. A shame given so many people had nice things to say about it, and that they weren't a front for one of the big brands.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:39 am

Fyi, from their website:

As at 4pm Friday City Bike Depot ceased trading and we signed on liquidators voluntarily.
We had to make the hard decision as to if it was worth reinvesting for the future and the answer was no.

Suppliers have been through and claimed stock owed, all laybys have been refunded and sold bikes picked up.

The remaining stock is on sale Tuesday 10am to fund remaining liabilities.

It has been a really fun 9 years and an opportunity to work and play with a lot of amazing people and friends and to realise a dream.
Although this dream is over I am looking forward to a break and time with our girls, definitely shall get on the bike more.
Thank you to all those who have been a part of CBD over the years and for supporting us, as we hope we supported you.

Look forward to seeing you on Tuesday

Thanks for being part of what was City Bike Depot.

Hugh Flower.

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:56 pm

All the vultures were out today. There was a massive line out the front hoping to get some cheap gear.

https://www.facebook.com/thecyclingrant ... =1&theater

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Went in there today. So many people. Couldn't really figure it out though. Prices seemed to be just the usual prices. Didn't see any large signs announcing any discounts. What did I miss?