Servicing an SRM Powermeter

r2160

Servicing an SRM Powermeter

Postby r2160 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm

HI all

I searched the forum but couldnt find an answer

Is there anybody in Sydney that can service an SRM? If not, where do I send it?

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Servicing an SRM Powermeter

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 pm

r2160 wrote:HI all

I searched the forum but couldnt find an answer

Is there anybody in Sydney that can service an SRM? If not, where do I send it?

cheers
Glenn
What needs doing?

The Oceania SRM service centre is located in Christchurch, NZ.

SRM Oceania
104B Weston Road
8052 St Albans, Christchurch
New Zealand

Phone: +64 (3) 355 9467
Fax: +64 (3) 355 9469
Email: oceania@srm.de

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Alex

It appears to have stopped working. It is an older model that I purchased second hand some time ago, and I understand there is a battery in the crank set

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 am

r2160 wrote:Thanks Alex

It appears to have stopped working. It is an older model that I purchased second hand some time ago, and I understand there is a battery in the crank set

cheers
Glenn
Yes, that's correct. SRMs have an internal battery and old units will need to have that replaced eventually. Does it require an SRM wiring harness, or is the unit wireless? Those that use the harness it's also good to check that it's in good order.

If you are reasonably competent with minor mechanical jobs and can solder, then it's not an overly difficult to do the job yourself and there are various guides posted on the interwebs about that. Not for a unit under warranty of course. And if you are using an SRM powercontrol (the handlebar computer), that too has an internal (but rechargeable) battery, which service centre can replace when its performance declines, or a competent user can do themselves.

But if in any doubt, the get the service centre to sort it out. They'll give it all a good check. SRMs have a long service life, and over the years the batteries used are getting better too. Latest ones will typically last for several years. I send my stuff there although eventually with one of my older units I might have a go myself one day (my oldest SRM is about 10 years old and going strong).

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi Alex

Yes, its a wired unit. I checked with another harness and it doesnt work either. I have had it a little while but really havent used it much.

It probably wouldnt hurt to get it serviced and calibrated anyway.

cheers
Glenn
-----------

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

r2160 wrote:Hi Alex

Yes, its a wired unit. I checked with another harness and it doesnt work either. I have had it a little while but really havent used it much.

It probably wouldnt hurt to get it serviced and calibrated anyway.

cheers
Glenn
Agreed.
That's the nice thing with SRM. Units over 10 years old are still in service and being serviced.
Just let the guys in NZ know I suggested you be in touch.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Has anyone sent their SRM for servicing to the USA service centre from Australia rather than NZ?

Looks like after 5 years of loyal service, my old second hand SRM Pro might need a new Circuit board (battery recently replaced and retested okay, passed other checks such a Reed sensor connections etc). I also have a couple of PCV's due for new batteries too.

Cost excluding shipping - NZ will be NZD$690 if it is indeed the circuit board plus the two PCV's, USA USD$450. Once converted to AUD I still appear to be far better off if servicing my units in the States. So curious to know if the USA Service centre would accept my unit for repairs?

I had contacted then previously for parts and they said that I couldn't deal with them direct... Worried if I send it to Colorado that they may send it straight back?