Inspirational Cycling Book

brentono

Re: Inspirational Cycling Book

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 am

Mavic71au wrote:Brentono are you still selling Tour 80?
Yes, along with many other rare books, also. :D
Tour 80, is in perfect condition, apart from where the price sticker was (removed) :(
PM if you want.
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am

Not entirely a cycling book, but a book about triathlon which I found really good was:

A Life Without Limits bu Chrissie Wellington.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Without-Limi ... wellington

Amazing story, and completely different to most professional athletes. Basically, she didn't even discover the sport till her mid 20's, and then dominated for 5 or 6 years .....announced her retirement last year.

Although she was in a swimming club, and taught swimming lessons in her teens/20's she had never really won ANY sporting events and pretty much led a 'normal' life - Went to University, did a bit of backpacking, ended up with a decent job working for a government agency (sport played basically no part in her life, other than a bit of fitness).

Somewhere in her 20's she started running and cycling, and swimming again....had never entered a serious event until her mid 20's....

Ended up winning Kona (Ironman Triathlon World Championships) several times, breaking mutiple records, won Challenge Roth posting the fastest womens ironman distance time ever, basically rarely beaten as a professional.

Not only was sh beating the women, but DOMINATING - like sometimes finishing 30 or 45 minutes ahead of the second placed woman, and was often beating the professional men.

Great book and worth a read

gbh

Postby gbh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am

I enjoyed "Slaying the Badger: very well researched book about the 1986 TdF, won by Greg Lemond over his teammate Hinault.

http://www.amazon.com/Slaying-Badger-Be ... 1934030872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mavic71au

Postby Mavic71au » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 am

Brentono,
Have PMed you

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am

Christine Tham wrote:I have just read this book about this amazing cyclist called Lance Armstrong, who I have never heard of before. Apparently he not only managed to beat testicular cancer, he went on to win the TdF 7 times!!! I also heard his father walked on the moon.

What an amazing, almost unbelievable story!

Anyone else heard of Lance?

8)
Can be found in the fiction section of any good bookstore... :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 pm

pauls51 wrote:"The Rider" - Tim Krabbe... I bought this recently based on a recommendation from a mate. Going to read it this weekend as I'll be climbing back onto the saddle after a 6 week break..
Does anyone know where I can get a ebook version of this (in english)?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:28 pm

RonK wrote:It's all about the bike The pursuit of happiness on two wheels - Robert Penn
+1 if you think that you ever might want to build a bike and are interested in the components. And, unlike some of the others cited here, really well written.