PLS H.E.L.P. - Picking my first road bike.

totto

PLS H.E.L.P. - Picking my first road bike.

Postby totto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Have MTB but never owned a road bike and appriciate any advice / opinion from experts.

I'll be using bike for weekend 100km+ ride and occational 20Km race - Recently done 700km / 5day ride on my hybrid bike (and loved it) and started running triathlon (currently also on my flat bar hybrid bike).

I've been told by almost every rider I know that I should get any bike that 'fits' but I just couldn't resist online bargains on offer...
Focus is $230 dearer than Raleigh but willing to pay extra if it's worth the money.

Thanks in advance !!!
===============================================================================================================================

Focus Izalco Ergoride 3.0 Force || Raleigh SP Race Ultegra

Frame

Ergoride carbon || 12K Full carbon road frame

Fork:

Ergoride T4 carbon || ITM Ursa carbon fork 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" FSA Orbit C40 headset

Wheelset:

Fulcrum Racing 5, clincher || Shimano RS30, clincher

Groupset:

Brake/Shift Levers: SRAM Force || Shimano Ultegra
Chainset: SRAM Force, compact, 50x34 || FSA Energy, double, 53/39
Bottom Bracket: SRAM || BB30
Derailleurs / Break : SRAM Force || Shimano Ultegra
Chain: SRAM || KMC X10
Cassette: SRAM 11-28 || Shimano 105 12-28

Finishing Kit:

Handlebar/Stem/ Seat Post : FSA || ITM Alutech
Saddle: Fizik Aliente || San Marco
Tyres: Continental Grand Prix, 700 x 24c || Schwalbe Durano S, 700 x 23c

auswi2

Re: PLS H.E.L.P. - Picking my first road bike.

Postby auswi2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello and welcome,

The bike you buy will be the one that you really enjoy riding and is the correct size for you.

The Focus is a nice bike. I would suggest go and vist a few local LBS and test ride a few to see what bike puts the biggest smile on your dial.

For the the biggest part of the bike is getting it fitted to your size.

If a bike is set up for you then you can't go wrong

Thanks

auswi2

totto

Postby totto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

auswi2 wrote:Hello and welcome,

The bike you buy will be the one that you really enjoy riding and is the correct size for you.

The Focus is a nice bike. I would suggest go and vist a few local LBS and test ride a few to see what bike puts the biggest smile on your dial.

For the the biggest part of the bike is getting it fitted to your size.

If a bike is set up for you then you can't go wrong

Thanks

auswi2
Thanks for the advice :)
I couldn't find any LBS selling FOCUS or RALEIGH (In Canberra... Merida / Giant / Trek / FUJI are all we have to pick from here....). Do you think I'd be okay buying Focus online based on my inseam length and have it fitted professionally ?

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 am

Go for the one you like the look of, the colours you like, the one you want :)

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 am

Really suggest you buy from an LBS, particularly as this will be your first road bike. Doesn't matter what you buy, if it doesn't fit, it won't be as fun as it should be...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:23 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Really suggest you buy from an LBS, particularly as this will be your first road bike. Doesn't matter what you buy, if it doesn't fit, it won't be as fun as it should be...
Ignore this and you'd be a fool, trust me. I had mine fitted correctly and I'm still making minor adjustments.

Test ride what you can locally. One will stand out and that's when you start negotiating. Better to have the LBS near by to help if needed!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

Comfort should be your number one priority! As already mentioned head down for some test rides if possible, and I agree that buying from a LBS for your first road bike is a good idea.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

No brand is number 1 priority.

:grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

sb944

Postby sb944 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 am

I didn't get any good test rides due to my height (needed between 60 and 62cm bike depending on brand), but the closest was a Focus Cayo 58cm. I was hoping it might ride a little larger than the 58cm claim, and the shop said it should be fine. When they adjusted the seat properly, it was obvious the bike was a little small and they said 60cm would be perfect. So if you do your research well enough on what size you need, Focus should be pretty close to average, maybe even slightly on the high side, as I got a 62cm Trek. Incidentally, I quite disagreed with the look of the Focus Cayo once I saw it in the flesh, but my untrained mind thought it felt very solid and stiff up some steep hills.

totto

Postby totto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

skull wrote:No brand is number 1 priority.

:grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
The Walrus wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Really suggest you buy from an LBS, particularly as this will be your first road bike. Doesn't matter what you buy, if it doesn't fit, it won't be as fun as it should be...
Ignore this and you'd be a fool, trust me. I had mine fitted correctly and I'm still making minor adjustments.

Test ride what you can locally. One will stand out and that's when you start negotiating. Better to have the LBS near by to help if needed!
arkle wrote:Go for the one you like the look of, the colours you like, the one you want :)

arkle
Taken both bikes off Wiggle shopping basket.

Will visit few LBSs this weekend.

Thanks all for talking me out of it and will report back !!! :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

One of the big things you are comparing with the selections you posted was that one was running shimano gear and the other was SRAM. They both shift differently and you may prefer one over the other. I run shimano on everything as I prefer it. Couldn't get used to SRAM shifters on one bike and shimano on the other.

You should try a bike with campy too as that shifts differently again and you may prefer it.

Good luck with your shopping spree :)

AP81

Postby AP81 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Where are you located?
Steel - is - real