6K Club 2013 Edition

Mugglechops

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Mustang wrote:SE Qld.,Floods,

I have Recorded 380mm (15 inches) at Sth Caloundra, from Fri to Sun night.(We seemed to fringe the worst of it )

My friend in Maryboough has recorded 560mm (22inches)

Makes my 72mm seem like a sun shower :D

Hope everyone in the flood affected areas are doing ok.

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeap, stay safe evryone in the way of the rain.

Seems so weird, I got sunburnt riding this arvo.

Smashed the hills around Hay.

http://app.strava.com/activities/38933336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

norbs wrote: Smashed the hills around Hay.

:)

Too funny...them hills around Hay are killers!!!
Lisa

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 am

Hope everyone is staying safe with the storms and flooding along the east coast.

Lewy, hope you're healing up well.

I had a great weekend with the Alpine Classic helping me get a lead up on the triangle. The adventure of the event started well before hand. It was about 6 months ago that I had a friend visiting from Albury and we decided it would be a good idea to head down there for the weekend and go do the ride from there. So before long I'd committed to the ride and booked our accomodation.

Fast forward to Decemeber and it was time to get started with some training rides and things where all going well until mid January when a week fighting off a stomach bug put a dent in the preparations. My last chance for a decent length ride just happened to be the hottest day ever which made a much shorter and flatter ridethan I was planning tough work. Still, one final climb of Macquarie Pass on the Tuesday brought my training to an end with a PB for the climb so things where looking as good as I could hope.

Come Friday night and some friends visiting from Japan had a BBQ get together that meant a late night before the moderately early Saturday morning start to head off for Albury. Arriving in Albury it was time for some lunch while we looked over the things to do list our motel had printed out for us. The Kinross Woolshed, which was only a couple of minutes away from the friends we where in town to visit, had an Australia Day festival of sorts which included live music all day, finishing off with Diesel. My wife had never seen Diesel live so a free show just down the road was too much to pass up although it meant for another late night. So a second night of a pleasant BBQ catch up with friends was follwed by a great show but as I hopped into bed and set the alarm it gave me the sobering message that the alarm was set for 3 hours and 27 minutes from now!

Somehow I managed to roll out of bed, eat some breakfast and get way on time. Before long I was over the Victorian border and making my way toward the turnoff. Getting closer to the turnoff I see an Kangaroo grazing by the side of the freeway, a prequel of what is to follow. Turning off the freeway onto darker and quieter roads and there is plenty more wildlife around. A couple of kangaroos, an abundance of rabbits and a couple of foxes all did their job of making sure I was alert and my brakes and steering where in good working order.

Getting closer to bright and the number of other road users started increasing. A few people riding into the start while a few cars loaded with bikes where also on their way in. I arrived in Bright spot on 6am, got my park just around the corner for the start and finish lines and headed in to pick up my rider pack. I was suprised to see a very short line of just one rider in front of me picking up their pack so was ready at the start comfortably before the 6:20 start time, ready and waiting to go......

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 pm

My 106km hack yesterday on the MTB doing random single trails, paths, general trails - http://app.strava.com/activities/38916746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longest ride both by time and distance and on my MTB not the roadie!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 pm

drnick79 wrote:My 106km hack yesterday on the MTB doing random single trails, paths, general trails - http://app.strava.com/activities/38916746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longest ride both by time and distance and on my MTB not the roadie!

S
Good stuff, big rides on the MTB are fun.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Cheers!! Was a 29'er with CX tyres on it, so that helped a little. Bummer was having a blowout at 67km and doing 40km with only 45psi in the rear. Was a little bouncy!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 pm

In previous years I have attempted both the shorter long distances, of 130km and 140km and this year I thought I'd have a crack at the 200km ride. A key feature of these rides are the challenging Alpine roads, long climbs and in January, heat.

Unfortunately, in the week leading up to the event a lightning strike started a bushfire near Harrietville which was unfortunate as the ACE 250 route went through there, the AAC 200 went around there and I had booked my accomodation there.

Nevertheless, come Thursday the car is packed and we optimistically set forth after a call to the Motel said that everything was fine, we would see the fire but there was no immediate danger.

So we drove on, checking in occassionally with email and twitter to see how things were going. We learn't as we stopped at Holbrook for a play on the submarine, that the route had now been changed to reflect the fires impact and advice from authorities, it was now to be a 3 repeat of Buffalo for 210km.

Oh, OK. Called the motel again, are you sure everything's OK? Yes, it's fine, the media is exagerating come on up!

So a few hours later we were driving towards a smokey Harrietville but so far so good. We checked into our Motel and then spent the afternoon and early evening looking at the fire as it lazed down the mountain side about 1km away.

DSC_0021 by _granty, on Flickr

After an anxious night (moderated by an excellent smoked trout pizza at the Hotel) we decided to leave and try our luck in Bright. Happily, the first place we called had a room available ( a direct effect of the fire and people withdrawing from the ride) so we were now safe and set for action.

That afternoon I decided to try a descent from Buffalo, reasoning that I can climb a rough road safely enough, descending is a bit different. We drove to the top and I set off and was soon passed by Sue at the Lake but when I arrived at the bottom Sue had only just beat me down in the car, so with that accomplished we enjoyed the sights and sounds and food of Bright and relaxed.

Next morning I took a flat, earlyish, run out to Myrtleford after thunderstorms passed through early in the morning. I was surprised by the smoke which lay in the valley but as the morning wore on and the wind lifted, it cleared. We then relaxed amongst the Bonjour Bright festivities, heard a great French band and relaxed in the river and the pool at the Motel. Later we had dinner at the Ginger House which was awesome and then retired early for the ride.

I was up before the sparrows, prepped and ready to go - so got a good starting position in the first wave of riders. Unusually, I felt relaxed and interested in how things would go and passed the time chatting with other riders, a guy on his first AAC (hope he did well) the guy on the shiny Moulton (as distinct from the guy on the red Moulton - 2 Moultons!!) and the guy on the singlespeed (showoff). The start went smoothly and a rush of blood to the head had me in a large and fast bunch rocketing away down the Alpine Hwy towards the climb. It is always a nervous time, joining a fast bunch of whom one knows nothing. You have to make quick assessments about who is safe to follow and your senses are taught ready to react to the least input. Not far down the road, there was the loud pop of a tyre blowout. As I was on the outside, I veered away, as did the guys in front of me to make room for the rapidly decelerating cyclist heading our way. Disaster averted, we powered on, through the roundabout and towards the Hill.

As the road started to tilt upwards the bunch began to fragment, I was beginning to feel the effort so when clear I pulled inside to let the faster riders past and to adjust to my own conservative rhythm for the climb. Once I had settled into my rhythm I found the going along quite to my likeing. It was cool and I the views were tremendous and the passing company pleasant and cheerful. Before long I found myself riding past Waterland and not long after that Dingo Dell hove into view. After a quick stop, ate a bit, refilled bidons and cleaned glasses, it was on for the descent.

I was a bit nervous about how this would go, as we had been warned at the beginning to expect traffic and be conservative, however after a few turns I found myself in open space and let things roll as they would. My earlier reconnaissance paid off as I tracked around the fast corners and recognised the tricky bits and slowed down responsibly. I passed quite a few less confident descenders and arrived back in Bright at 9.33am. 2 hours and 13 minutes for a lap. Awesome!

At Bright I had a quick bite to eat and then headed back up. The fast bunches of the first run had now given way to a steady stream of riders and as the temperature was starting to rise, I soon recognised that the second lap was going to be a bit slower. Quite a bit slower as it turned out. To the heat, my back was beginning to ache and no amount of standing and stretching seemed to help. I kept plugging away but was starting to experience all of the signs of bonking, cramps gripped my thighs and speed was dropping ever lower. I stopped once to suck down a gel before rolling into Waterland to drink and get sprayed. I grabbed an endurolyte tablet and again resumed my struggle with the mountain. By now the incipient cramps had become full blown wobblers and I yelled out loud a few times as I pushed through them. At long last I made it to the dell, at 12.33, some 2 hours and 40 minutes since leaving Bright. I sat for a while, did some stretching and eating and feeling a little better set off for the decent once more.

Again I enjoyed the ride down, passed a heap of people but once at the bottom and needing to push along things weren't looking so good. Legs were again cramping and my back, despite a few NSAIDs was complaining out loud. It was also much hotter now with temperatures on the lower slopes sitting around 35c and I saw quite a lot of riders slumped over their machines, or lying dramatically by the side of the road, however the roadside had also sprouted a number of enthusiastic cheer squads who lifted my spirits greatly and I was able to push on back into Bright by 2.05pm.

However it was there, with the brewery on my right and the cool river on my left that I had a long hard look at myself and decided that another ascent was not a realistic option, legs were twitching, back was aching, head was spinning.

The two laps themselves weren't anything to sneeze at, 145km and 2780m of climbing and I enjoyed a beer and a swim in the pool (and some more cramps) afterwards. Just now, my back is quietly telling me that I did the right thing, while my thighs have the ache they only get when they are learning, it's a good ache, they will be stronger next time.

So next years Alpine can't come too soon. I've already booked the accommodation!

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Brewery, cool river, swim in the pool...good call Grant!!! :D I would have made exactly the same decision if I was in your shoes (perhaps a lap earlier :D )

sounds like a great weekend despite the proximity of the fires, hope they don't do too much damage it is a lovely part of the world.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Grant, sounds like things got quite painful for you on that second climb, well done for pushing on to the top.

Getting back to my report and I was at the start line ready to go. I had a bit of a scan through the riders in the 6:20 start but didn't spot anyone familiar amoungst the crowd, although I now know Grant was in there somewhere. I fueled up with a bit more food before the start and listened to the rider briefing with talk of debris, including roadkill as well as Mt Buffalo being one of the rougher of the alpine roads so to take care. Also a mention of keeping well left with the two way traffic on a narrow road. I was keen to find out just what Buffalo was like, with only online reports and the likes of the strava segement to go by. It would be something greatly different to any of my local climbs, with an average gradient of 5.6% it fell into what I would class as a gentle climb. On many of my familiar climbs the 5 to 6% sections are where I rest and recover a bit in between the serious climbing. Of course the difference here was this average went for 18km, climbing over 1000m along the way and an average only tells part of the story and I had no idea of what the steepest sections where like.

So as the start time came around and I headed off somewhere in the middle of the first wave of 200km riders my plan was simple enough. Make sure I didn't go pushing too hard early on, don't get tempted in pushing along with a fast group and aim to make the Dingo Dell checkpoint for the first time with an average speed of 15km/h. Heading off and before long I'd found a bunch travelling along at a comfortable pace that was letting me conserve a bit of energy and keep nicely on track with where I thought I'd need to be as we headed out to the climb. Once we hit the climb it was the end of any group riding and all about setting a pace that I felt would let me keep climbing all day. I had in the back of my mind that keeping the speed around the 10km/h mark for the climb would be about right.

The first climb was quite pleasant. I wan't pushing too hard and was maintaining the pace I needed. The average for the ride was dropping slowly but still had enough room to fall for a while before getting too worried about time. The temperature was quite nice for the climb, there seamed plenty of room for passing slower riders and letting faster riders pass me and it was all going to plan. I noticed the occasional familiar face of riders I'd meet on previous Audax rides flash past as the ACE250 riders where one their first descent. Their was no extreme changes in gradient and the highest figure I saw the whole way up was a brief section of 10%. There where some spectacular views and I also noted the open areas of the climb that may prove demanding later on in the day when things heat up. The debris we were warned of at the start was minimal and as for their idea of a rough road, well I wish most of my climbs at home where that rough, sure the road wasn't perfect but it was better than most of what I'm used to.

As the kilometres traveled and metres climbed slowly rose the average kept dropping until I finally came to a crest ready for a bit of downhill section. I had been climbing for just over an hour and a half and as I hit the crest my average speed dropped to 15.0, somehow I'd managed to pace things just right. The descent and then undulating road across to the final climb to Dingo Dell allowed me to build the average back and I began the final section of the climb feeling optimistic of being on schedule. It was on this final section of climb that I saw Grant fly past in the other direction having already done his stop at the top.

I'd arrived at Dingo Dell on time and was ready for some food, refill the bidons and to have a toilet break. The last of those proving the big delay. One of the two men's toilets was out of order and there was a queue waiting to get in. What I'd hoped would be about a ten minute stop was closer to half an hour and I set off on the descent a little behind schedule but fairly confident I could catch back up by the time I got to Bright.....

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

As I continue on with my ride report I realise I forgot to give my overall impression of Buffalo in comparison to my previous climbing experiences. I found the moderate gradient made it much more manageable than the 18km and 1000+m of the climb would suggest. I felt it was fairly comparable to my most well known local climb of Macquarie Pass. Macquarie Pass is a little steeper at the start than Buffalo but overall is a similar average gradient and the effort compared to the progress felt similar. The main difference is Buffalo is 50% longer, which with fairly fresh legs didn't seam to have much affect other than taking 50% longer to climb.

By contrast shorter and steeper climbs definately felt more difficult. My other two major local climbs of Saddleback and Jamberoo Pass while both significantly shorter at 1/3 the length, have gradients averaging closer to Buffalo's steepest sections and with much steeper sections are both more difficult climbs in my experience.

Now getting back to the ride it was time to start heading back down the hill. I consider myself a fairly cautious descender and the number of riders wizzing past and dissappearing around the bends ahead confirmed I stayed well within the limits of what is possible. I have to say the passing riders all did so safely, only overtaking in areas I would consider safe and letting me know their intentions in advance. I also managed to find riders more cautious than myself on the way down and did my best to ensure I showed them the same courteousy as the riders passing me had.

The descent is quite a pleasant one with views to take in and any bits of less than perfect road well marked with signage by the organisers as well as marker paint surrounding the areas on the road. In reality, none of the hazards would have been of concern to me if they weren't marked but it was good to see them taking the care of warning everyone.

By the time I'd got to the bottom I was nicely ahead of schedule again and the run into bright was fairly good as well giving me some time to spare at the checkpoint this time. Some custard tart and apple turnover went down nicely before heading out with a small time buffer to begin my second lap.

I managed to hop on the back of a group as it went past and stay with it until it fell apart on the climb just before Buffalo. Then it was time to tackle the climb for the second time....

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Well done Shane and Grant.

I finally got my new rear wheel for my CX bike :)

Not that I can ride it :( So I lent it too my mate to see if he can decide on getting one.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks Lewy. That's a nice bike. Must be a good mate!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

You guys are amazing and I'm very jealous.

A cough has kept me off the bike for a week now, turns out I have a chest infection and now on antibiotics. :x

I've got some furious pedalling to do when I feel better.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Good to hear your bike will be waiting for you once your ready mugglechops. Hopefully this wheel fares better.

Continuing on my report and into the second Buffalo ascent. It was a bit tougher than the first. I found myself out of the saddle more and travelling a little slower but was still staying within my schedule. It was during this climb that some of my preparation starting paying off. Firstly, with time limited I had resorted to do some repeats of the smaller hills closer to home. By smaller I mean they where between 1 and 2 km long but with gradients averaging in the low teens still made for some pain. For some reason I'd chosen three repeats when I'd done them which more than anything gave some insight into the mental challenge that the three trips up Buffalo would be. I knew that the first trip up on fresh legs was easy compared to the other two. I also knew that on the second it's the mental battle that could be the toughest to overcome. As the climb hurts more than the first time it's easy to start doubting how you could possibly make a third attempt which in turn makes it easy to doubt the value in bothering to push on for the second climb. Having pushed on for the training rides I also knew that although it may hurt the most physically, once you're into the third climb the mental aspect get's easier as you know this time once you're at the top it's all done. So my training had taught me not to entertain thoughts regarding the next climb and to just worry about pushing just hard enough to stay on track time wise.

The other aspect of my preparation was that over the summer I'd made a point of getting out and riding on the hot days, which included some tough rides on days in the 40s and suffering through the ridiculous heat as the garmin reached 55.4 on one ride. It seamed to pay dividends as the rising temperature of the day felt warm but nothing too uncomfortable for me. By contrast there where other riders clearly feeling the heat and seeking refuge in the shade for a break before continuing on. Even in the open areas I'd noticed on the first climb the temperature still felt well within my comfort zone.

On this leg I'd decided the time to aim for at the top was not the 15 km/h average mark as the extra distance the reroute had caused meant a slightly better average would be needed to finish the 210km in the 13.5 hour BRM cut off. Seeing as the top of the climb would be exactly halfway I should aim to be there, at the 105km mark, at 1:05pm. Nice and easy to remember, 105 at 105, and so I kept working out my progress based on that and things where looking pretty much spot on.

It was all going along nicely until getting closer to the top of the main Buffalo climb things didn't seam to be adding up. There seamed to be less kilometres left to 105 than what I remembered being to Dingo Dell. Sure enough as I rolled past 105km I was still between the main climb and the final climb up to Dingo Dell. I was a little ahead of my target for 105km but my goal had now been moved to an unknown distance! I knew I was still close but I doubted I could make the top by the halfway time.

On the climb I saw Grant heading down again, may have even been on the same corner as the first time. Couldn't tell by the way he was descending just how much pain he was in on the way up. I kept on to the top and got in just a few minutes off my 1:05 target with 108km completed. The 35km from Bright to Dingo Dell was really 36. 1 km may not seam significant until you consider it pushed the extra 10 kilometres of the ride out to an extra 16 that still had to be completed in the same time limit. Effectively about an hour had to be made up over standard Audax timing during the course of the ride....

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 pm

At the Dingo Dell checkpoint it was time for a can of coke to wash down the lollies and energy biscuit, reapply some sunscreen and let the volunteers wash my sunnies before heading off to make up some time on the descent again. The field has spread out during the day and the descent is less congested than the first for the most part. There was one bit where some congestion slowed me down a little as I caught a group that was only a bit slower than me. Without much speed difference I felt better just cruising behind them until some of the straighter sections was the best option although some of the faster riders managed to pass us all without any dramas. Once past that group is was a pleasant flowing ride to the bottom. Along the way I'm doing the maths in my head and am satisfied that I'm back on target with the revised knowledge of a 216km distance.

The thinning of the field is most evident on the run back into Bright. The number of riders heading back for another climb was notably less than the last lap as was the number of riders in front of me. The cheer squad at the caravan park had grown though and where great at giving encouragment as riders went past. Back in Bright I'm greated by a volunteer handing out ice blocks and then head over and get some more apple turnover and a salad roll. I'm sure there was something else as well but I can't remember what.

I decided when refilling the bidons this time that with two lots of powder left to make up energy/electrolyte drink that I'd make up both bidons as I could probably use all I had for the final ascent. Heading out from Bright things where now much quieter on the road out. There where no groups going past to and not much passing at all on the way out. The final climb of Buffalo started and the legs where feeling the fatigue of the first couple of laps. The climb was slower and things where a little warmer again than the previous time. The heat itself was still not too bad for me but by halfway up I was regretting my decision with my drinks. Each mouthfull was getting less and less appealing, feeling thick in my mouth and failing to quench the dryness. I desperately wanted some plain water. I kept plodding along, sipping at the drink to try and stay hydrated but was finding it really difficult to stomach it any more.

I'd already passed the first water stop and so the second could not come soon enough. As I rolled into it for my first and only stop outside of the Bright and Dingo Dell checkpoints for the day. As I walk towards the water a couple of volunteers offer a cool shower from some spraypacks while another offers to refill my bidon. I mention I need what's in it poured out first as he takes it away to refill while I recieve a spray then grab a handfull of lollies and sit for a short rest while I get some refreshing water into me. I had started feeling a bit nauseous before that point but the water made a quick impact and I considered myself lucky to get away with a lesson learnt about not replacing all my water with energy drinks.

There was still some climbing to go to reach the top and as I climbed I worked out when I wanted to be there and how longer break I could take at the top. I figured an hour and a half was well within reason for the final run back to Bright so as long as I left by 6:20 I should be fine, so with about a ten minute break an arrival by 6:10 would be nice. At 180km the 15km/h average would have meant 6:20 so it was interesting that I'd worked out making the theoretical checkpoint cut off time at the top should give me a good chance of making up the extra hour's riding on the way back down to the finish.

I didn't quite manage the 6:10 arrival target, crossing the timing mat at 6:14. As I enjoyed lollies, a lamington and more energy biscuit, again washed down with a can of coke, the break was about 12 minutes and so left for Bright with an hour and 24 minutes to make the finish.....

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm

While the third ascent of Buffalo had been the slowest and toughest the final descent was by far the best. What little debris there had been earlier in the day had been swept clear by the volume of traffic before. The road was now in shade, wind from earlier in the day had ceased, basically the conditions where as ideal as you could ask for. On top of that I'd had two previous runs to get some familiarity with the road and there was much less riders on the road and for the most part I was on my own enjoying the run down. Every few minutes I would recalculate the average speed needed to finish in time and grew ever more positive as it continued dropping down into the low 20s. It was my quickest descent after which there is only one more moderate climb before the final 7km to the finish.

With no more laps to save energy for I decide to push a bit harder, after a day of conserving energy for what lied ahead it felt good to push harder and see just what was left in the legs. I was suprised to see that I could hold speeds in the low to mid 30s. I wasn't the only rider with energy left though as just when I felt I was running out of legs a couple of other riders came sailing past. I put in a final effort to catch up and hang with them for a bit but there pace was too much to stay with them for long.

Crossing the line at the Classic is an amazing experience. The number of people cheering each rider in is something I hadn't experienced before. I managed to finish with 22 minutes to spare and a real buzz from the satisfaction of the day's achievement. The two riders that had passed me where still at the tent where the timing tags where being collected so I was able to thank them for the brief tow before having a bit of a chat and then heading off in search of some dinner. The biggest queues of the day seamed to be at all the food outlets until I walked accross the road to find a take away shop for some chicken and chips which I took back to find a seat near the finish line to join the cheer squad for the remaining riders as they came in.

It was getting dark as the final pair of riders from the ACE250 rolled across the line to the biggest cheer of the day. It was certainly an amazing experience being part of such a great event and now the only question is whether to attempt the normal Classic route next year or step it up and have a crack at the ACE250.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 am

Great write up Shane and chappeau, a big day out :D

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 am

I enjoyed the read sblack, very well described. I must have got in around the same time as you.. I crossed at 7.20pm, it was fantastic cheering those last 2 across the line :)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 am

So January has come to a close - my last ride for the month this morning.

20 rides
863km
16419m elev gain

Obvious highlight was the AAC, but also a couple of long training rides, contributing to my best month on a bike (in my long 14 month history!!)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 am

oldnewby wrote:So January has come to a close - my last ride for the month this morning.

20 rides
863km
16419m elev gain

Obvious highlight was the AAC, but also a couple of long training rides, contributing to my best month on a bike (in my long 14 month history!!)
16km climbed already??? Go easy on those knee Oldnewby :)

Nice work.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 am

Well done on your best month oldnewby. It has been a massive month of climbing for you, from your stats the whole month was spent climbing at a similar rate to the AAC. I crossed the line at 7:28 so depending on what you did after the finish you could have even seen me roll in or been part of the crowd cheering me across the line.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm

January is done for me and I must say that I'm fairly happy with my progress, after taking up the cycle in mid-October. Still need to lose a lot of poundage and have to get the diet in order - too much of a good thing at present!

January stats:-

22 rides
897Km
4412m climbed - have to hit more hills I must admit.
Average speed overall of 26.97Km

I had 5 days off due to illness and 4 rest days.

I'm hoping February is just as much fun.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

400+kms, take that January! :mrgreen:

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Hmm, I felt kind of lazy this month but it seems I wasn't too shabby, 916km, 9883m :)