Webber on Armstrong

gorilla monsoon

Webber on Armstrong

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:16 am

Mark Webber wrote about his friendship with Lance Armstrong, Very interesting. This is courtesy of Crash.net.

Mark Webber's final column for the BBC's F1 pages had little to do with F1, as the Australian instead lamented the fall of former cycling 'legend' Lance Armstrong.

Webber, a keen cyclist as part of both his fitness regime and adventure race competition, admits to having admired Armstrong through his run of Tour de France successes, and became friendly with the American whilst F1 enjoyed its spell at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but chronicles a breakdown in relations as it became clear that Armstrong was 'looking after number one'.

“Lance Armstrong came on to my radar during the first couple of Tours de France he won back in 1999 and 2000 - you watched him and thought 'wow, this is pretty phenomenal',” Webber wrote, “I had got into road cycling when I first came to Europe in the mid-1990s and had an appreciation of how tough those events were because I'd already done a few training camps in the French Alps that involved cycling. Then I read Armstrong's book, It's Not About The Bike…"

Having also had a brush with cancer as his grandfather suffered at the hands of the disease, Armstrong's recovery from it also held a special fascination for Webber, and he used F1's visits to Indianapolis to learn more about the American.

“I'm sure, as was the case for many cancer sufferers and survivors, that my grandfather would have found tremendous inspiration from the book had Armstrong's story been around ten or so years earlier,” he noted, “It was an incredible tale of how he got through the cancer as a person, a patient and an athlete.”

Through friends of friends, Webber was introduced to Armstrong himself, and got to spend some time riding with the American. Impressed with Armstrong's interest in F1, particularly in Michael Schumacher's run of success and the technology that made the sport so fascinating, the pair remained in touch – until the weekend that Armstrong was a no-show at the Monaco Grand Prix.

“We came to the end of our friendship in 2008, when he let my partner Ann and I down after we organised passes for him,” Webber continued, “Red Bull Racing had gone out of their way to meet all his demands, which were not inconsiderable, and had everything laid on, but he failed to show without a word of an apology. I thought it was very poor form and I was disappointed.

“Earlier in the week we had been out riding together with two of Lance's mates from Austin and former world superbike champion Troy Bayliss. One of Lance's mates had a huge shunt and was badly injured. He spent the next few days in hospital, but he still managed to haul himself down to the track on raceday. Lance was a no-show.

“That, coupled with the persistent rumours about Armstrong being a serial liar and a drug cheat, and long conversations I had had with the respected sports journalist Paul Kimmage, made me realise that perhaps he wasn't all I had hoped him to be.”

Puzzled by how the American could continually appear 'clean' in a sport addled with the use of banned substances, Webber says he felt Armstrong needed to confess to any wrongdoing two years ago, but their mutual friends always insisted that he was unlikely to do so.

“The word 'defiant' always seemed to crop up,” Webber noted, “Armstrong was defiant all the way; he believed he was clean. That was still evident in the interview he gave to Oprah Winfrey. He admitted he was a doper, but still didn't see it as cheating.

“I think what's staggering to everyone is the amount of people he was prepared to take out on the way up - people who were morally on the right side of the bridge. He wasn't worried about the ramifications and the position he may have put these people in - it was all about 'Planet Lance'.”

All a bit sad, really.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

norbs

Re: Webber on Armstrong

Postby norbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

Laughable. Just another rat off the ship. 4 years to speak up.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

But you wouldn't expect Webber to bag a guy for being generally rude etc at the time. It's of general interest given the Lance chatter now. Sadly it's yet another confirming instance of what everyone has been saying :cry: .

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

Speak up and get sued?!

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

Webber is renowed for mild tanty chucking and holding a grudge, so I see this as largely in character.

Also is Armstrong responsible for teaching Webber how to wheelie ? (as demonstrated on the Swiss Ad).
if so then Armstrong really HAS committed a crime against bicycle riding.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm

Yep, Mark might want to concentrate on actually living up to his own potential ... the sand is running out in his hourglass.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

norbs wrote:Laughable. Just another rat off the ship. 4 years to speak up.
I am puzzled as to what you think he was expected to say four years ago. That an ex-acquaintance was a rude prat? I dare say that you and I will have a dozen acquaintenances who could be deciribed in much the same way. Should you and I go public?

It is only with the passage of (recent) time that it will have become clear to all and sundry that Armstrong was more than just an objectionable person.
zero wrote:Webber is renowed for mild tanty chucking and holding a grudge, so I see this as largely in character.
Is he? Most of the press that I have casually observed seems to have him uniquely and broadly liked.

I have one issue of disagreement with him. But like all things to do with public figures, I am beholden to media hacks for information so I may be misjudging him even on that issue.

Overall there seems to be a favourable consensus from what I have observed. Too "nice" to be a successful driver.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 pm

This article just reflects poorly on Webber. The term "dancing on someone's grave" comes to mind

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 pm

clackers wrote:Yep, Mark might want to concentrate on actually living up to his own potential ... the sand is running out in his hourglass.
yeah what a loser! a decade in F1, with the last 4 or so years as one of the top 5.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:49 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
norbs wrote:Laughable. Just another rat off the ship. 4 years to speak up.
I am puzzled as to what you think he was expected to say four years ago. That an ex-acquaintance was a rude prat? I dare say that you and I will have a dozen acquaintenances who could be deciribed in much the same way. Should you and I go public?

It is only with the passage of (recent) time that it will have become clear to all and sundry that Armstrong was more than just an objectionable person.
If he didn't say it when it happened, why wait until now?

Recent time? 1999 he abuse Bassons in front of the world. 2004 he does the same with Simeoni. His personal vendetta against the Andreu's, Kimmage, Walsh and O'Reilly started years ago.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:43 pm

I think Webber's achieved all he can. Good driver, top-drawer and capable of winning a world championship.

Unfortunately for him the only time he's had a race-winning car his teammate is apparently an all-time great.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm

I reckon Lances Strava page says a lot; 10,000 followers, following 0. Self centred much?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm

The company i work for does work for Webber and by all accounts he's a nice bloke.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm

No doubting he's probably a nice bloke, but did he really need to write the column? For a neutral observer (who isn't a LA fan boy) it doesnt make me think much of webber.

zero

Postby zero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
zero wrote:Webber is renowed for mild tanty chucking and holding a grudge, so I see this as largely in character.
Is he? Most of the press that I have casually observed seems to have him uniquely and broadly liked.
I like him, and I watch F1 to watch him race.

He did however manage to stay angry the entire way through a formula 1 race, win the race and then let fly on the radio afterwards at the people that pay him large sums of money and give him a championship capable car.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Just because they pay him, doesn't mean to say he can't pay out on them. No different to me and people I've worked for. You give me grief or not supply me with good gear, I'll ream you out. He hasn't allways been supplied with a championship winning car neither. :wink: In this sport, money talks big time and he doesn't have that big input to the team. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Just because they pay him, doesn't mean to say he can't pay out on them. No different to me and people I've worked for. You give me grief or not supply me with good gear, I'll ream you out. He hasn't allways been supplied with a championship winning car neither. :wink: In this sport, money talks big time and he doesn't have that big input to the team. :idea:

Foo
He doesn't have the talent either.