Creak from BB area

jlh

Creak from BB area

Postby jlh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 am

Hi All,

Fairly new to cycling, got my first road bike about 6 months ago and have done about 2300 km on it. Last two rides I have noticed that after about 20-25 km I start to hear a creak when the crank is at certain positions during the revolution. Initially this seems to originate from the right crank side and I am right side dominant. If I keep going the noise gets louder and I can start to feel it through the pedals and my shoes.

Another interesting thing is if I change from my normal cycling style to one where I mainly pull the pedal back along the bottom of the cycle, the noise goes away.

I thought it might be something to do with the BB bearings but aren't they supposed to last a lot longer than 2300 km? I have checked all of the obvious things like chain clearance, etc. What else should I check for? The BB type is BB86 ADT press fit.

Appreciate any comments and recommendations. I'm leaning towards taking it back to the bike shop and asking them to check it out as it should still be under warranty?

Thanks,
Jason

simonn

Re: Creak from BB area

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 am

Might/probably not be the BB.

Sounds similar to a creak I had on my CX which occurred even after a new and different style of BB was installed along with facing and chasing the BB shell - so not likely to be the BB. Is it A LOT worse when you stand? Try removing the rear wheel put liberal amounts of grease* all over the dropouts and then putting the wheel on again quite tightly.

Creaks can be everything from a lose bottle cage bolt to a cracked frame (yes, I have had creaks from both).

This is also worth a look:

http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*I asked a very good mechanic "how much grease should I use?" when asking about re-installing the headset bearings when I was stripping down and rebuilding the aforementioned CX. "Loads. The excess will wash off anyway." I assume this would apply to the usage of grease pretty much anywhere.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 am

jasonlheath wrote:Hi All,

Fairly new to cycling, got my first road bike about 6 months ago and have done about 2300 km on it. Last two rides I have noticed that after about 20-25 km I start to hear a creak when the crank is at certain positions during the revolution. Initially this seems to originate from the right crank side and I am right side dominant. If I keep going the noise gets louder and I can start to feel it through the pedals and my shoes.

Another interesting thing is if I change from my normal cycling style to one where I mainly pull the pedal back along the bottom of the cycle, the noise goes away.

I thought it might be something to do with the BB bearings but aren't they supposed to last a lot longer than 2300 km? I have checked all of the obvious things like chain clearance, etc. What else should I check for? The BB type is BB86 ADT press fit.

Appreciate any comments and recommendations. I'm leaning towards taking it back to the bike shop and asking them to check it out as it should still be under warranty?

Thanks,
Jason
Do you have press fit bb?

ido on my bike and had a similar noise. Took it back to my lbs and they said it was the bb. that because of the torqe i put on it they can move a little. so he just took it apart then reasembled it again. btw i think for larger riders the press fit bb is no good.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am

Creaks are "factory options" for a lot of press fit BBs :roll:

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

Ross wrote:Creaks are "factory options" for a lot of press fit BBs :roll:
:lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Ross wrote:Creaks are "factory options" for a lot of press fit BBs :roll:
The main problem I have with press fit BBs is it will further limit my frame choices in the future as hopefully I won't be buying one.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Press fit BBs can be a PITA but I wouldn't sway me away from buying a bike.

If u have eliminated all the other sources which the creak maybe coming from, pull out your BB. Reinstall initially with grease on the cups, and if the creak is still present, reinstall with the appropriate bearing loctite. If it persists it don't be your BB

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes its a press fit BB (BB86) and i weigh about 78 kg so should be well within weight tolerances.

I'll go for another spin tonight and see how it goes trying standing up on the pedals after the noise appears. After that if its still there will go down the disassemble regrease and reassemble route (annoying as i don't have the right tool at home).

Appreciate any further comments/recommendations.

Regards,
Jason

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 pm

There was a good post on Cycling Tips a few days ago about diagnosing and resolving these kinds of noises.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 pm

Is it a carbon frame/seat post?

I get a creak in my bike every so often, I know it's time for a wash, seems to go away after a wash.

Also when I take a bit of weight of the seat it stops, so pretty certain it's the seat post creaking.

They are annoying when it happens.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 pm

jasonlheath wrote:If I keep going the noise gets louder and I can start to feel it through the pedals and my shoes.
So have you checked the pedals yet?

wardie

Postby wardie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 am

MREJ wrote:There was a good post on Cycling Tips a few days ago about diagnosing and resolving these kinds of noises.
They interviewed the mechanic from BMC and he said that most common cause of the creak is in fact the rear skewer. Basically if it's too loose it will creak.

That's was the cause of my issues that I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago.

He then said the seat post and seat rail bolts can also be the cause.
Giant XTC 2

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 am

Hi all, didn't get to go for a ride yesterday but did get a chance to check at bolts etc were tensioned to the correct torque. Paid special attention to the pedals which were tight, as well as all the other pointers listed on Sheldon's website. The only bolts that needed additional tightening were the two on the right crank side down near the bb, and they didn't need much.

Will be going for a ride today or tomorrow so will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the comments,
Jason

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am

Pedal threads don't necessarily need to be tight, just well greased before installing. Well torqued on pedals with no grease on the threads is a pretty common cause for creaks when ur on the gas... definately do that (if u havent already) before removing BBs
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TDC

Postby TDC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site is a useful resource

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

jasonlheath wrote:Paid special attention to the pedals which were tight...
Did you also check that pedals aren't loose on the spindle or that the cleat mechanism isn't clicking?

jlh

Postby jlh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi all.

Well after checking the tension on a number of the fasteners around the crank area, and also taking the pedals out and regreasing with poly lube, have ridden about 90 km over two rides without noticing any return of the offending noise. Seems that it was probably the pedals as they were only replaced a few weeks ago (previous pair replaced under warranty from look).

Thanks all for feedback and comments/suggestions.

Regards,
Jason

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:24 pm

jasonlheath wrote:Hi all.

Well after checking the tension on a number of the fasteners around the crank area, and also taking the pedals out and regreasing with poly lube, have ridden about 90 km over two rides without noticing any return of the offending noise. Seems that it was probably the pedals as they were only replaced a few weeks ago (previous pair replaced under warranty from look).

Thanks all for feedback and comments/suggestions.

Regards,
Jason
woohoo!