New Bike Mag

User avatar
gorilla monsoon
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Lake Macquarie

New Bike Mag

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am

Picked up a copy of Bike magazine in Woolies of all places while getting the groceries with Mrs Monsoon yesterday. It's not bad. Some good content padded with a few cherrful fluff pieces (How to make your bike look cool) but generally a good read.
From the same stable that produces Men's Health et al.
They are offering a $29.95 subsccription rate for the first year (four editions) so I think I'll be taking that one up if the quality of the first one is any indication.
Won't climb, can't sprint.

Roger Ramjet: Giant CRX3
Lady Penelope: Avanti Cadent
Barry Allen: Specialized Sirrus Expert

User avatar
humanbeing
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Marrickville,New South Wales

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby humanbeing » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:37 am

Picked up a copy of this a few days back.
Unfortunately it's a rehash of US magazine Bicycling. About 80% of the content was just stuff reused from Bicycling with a little bit of local content (ie,a couple of reviews, one or two pictures, prices and advertising).
Even though it's a US magazine, Bicycling is one of the best with articles about training, nutrition, fluff and good feature articles - like the Campagnolo story reprinted in the aforementioned new Aussie cycling mag. Also Bicycling is one of the cheapest at $8.95 an issue - of course it's a month old by the time we get it.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am

Got a subscription to this for Xmas.
It is basically fluff with some of the "informational articles" just basically so far from fact it is not even funny.
Seems to be the same type of fluff as you find in Mens Health magazine.

fatdudeonabike
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 pm

I just saw a copy of this at the servo, the first time I'd seen it - I'm glad I gave it a miss reading the reviews on here! I'll stick with Ride I think...

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:I just saw a copy of this at the servo, the first time I'd seen it - I'm glad I gave it a miss reading the reviews on here! I'll stick with Ride I think...


While the best Aussie cycling mag by far, I think Ride is stuck in a rut.
Same old same old and some of the stuff they publish is also drivel.

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22847
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Couple of good on-line magazines, available for IPad (maybe also android) and in hard-copy

Treadlie Magazine

Bicycle Times
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Hmmm .......... different strokes I guess.

User avatar
scotto
Posts: 2380
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby scotto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:21 am

sumgy wrote:Got a subscription to this for Xmas.
It is basically fluff with some of the "informational articles" just basically so far from fact it is not even funny.
Seems to be the same type of fluff as you find in Mens Health magazine.

Same here .
Thanks in-laws. Next time ask and I'll say RIDE instead !!

User avatar
Howzat
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

Treadie is a fun mag for non-roadies. Hard copies are available at larger newsagents.

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

scotto wrote:
sumgy wrote:Got a subscription to this for Xmas.
It is basically fluff with some of the "informational articles" just basically so far from fact it is not even funny.
Seems to be the same type of fluff as you find in Mens Health magazine.

Same here .
Thanks in-laws. Next time ask and I'll say RIDE instead !!


As I said, I am fast losing interest in Ride too.
Too much of the same old bikes being reviewed and pages of advertisements posing as product review.
And dont get me started on the "Bikes from the Bunch" section.

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28379
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am

Howzat wrote:Treadie is a fun mag for non-roadies. Hard copies are available at larger newsagents.

I got a sub for Xmas, quite enjoying it. It reads more lifestyle than hardcore which appeals to me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavieB
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby DavieB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Picked up a good magazine yesterday plainly called "cyclist". Was the first edition.



cyclistmag.co.uk

User avatar
norbs
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby norbs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

sumgy wrote:
scotto wrote:
sumgy wrote:Got a subscription to this for Xmas.
It is basically fluff with some of the "informational articles" just basically so far from fact it is not even funny.
Seems to be the same type of fluff as you find in Mens Health magazine.

Same here .
Thanks in-laws. Next time ask and I'll say RIDE instead !!


As I said, I am fast losing interest in Ride too.
Too much of the same old bikes being reviewed and pages of advertisements posing as product review.
And dont get me started on the "Bikes from the Bunch" section.



What would you like to see more of? I will pass it on to Rob.

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

norbs wrote:What would you like to see more of? I will pass it on to Rob.


Refer the post you quoted.

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22847
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:56 pm

sumgy wrote:Hmmm .......... different strokes I guess.

So you're a "roadie-culture only" type of guy? Fair enough, your choice.

Personally I enjoy the full flavour of cycling and like to read about that, not just the latest thing the Euro pro-teams are eating or playing about with. Probably why I find so many 'cycling' magazines boring as bat-sh!t and have almost completely dropped off buying them, or even bothering to peruse them in the newsagents. :|
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

User avatar
sumgy
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby sumgy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Nope. Neither. Which is why I am over Ride.
But I am not interested in the whole hipster culture either.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8339
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Don't really bother with any cycling mags anymore. Bicycling Australia and Ride are always months behind. I didn't renew my subscription to Bicycling Times and Treadly (too hipster) and Peleton (too US-centric).
In fact, my attention has recently been drawn to kayaking and kayak fishing. It's a whole new world.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22847
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

RonK wrote:In fact, my attention has recently been drawn to kayaking and kayak fishing. It's a whole new world.

Going OT here, but then there is this :shock: Paddle, pedal-drive or sail. All folds down to go on a car top rack.

Image
Image

See it in action! And some fishing work. I also have a sailing background so a certain bias here. I reckon it'd be handy for fishing though.

:wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

seddo
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: ACT

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby seddo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am

RonK wrote:In fact, my attention has recently been drawn to kayaking and kayak fishing. It's a whole new world.


Kayak fishing is a great pastime flicking soft plastic for estuary species, make a great compliment to cycling. But some of the forums can be quite "red neck" remember a post on one the forums that was extremely anti-cycling
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8339
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:In fact, my attention has recently been drawn to kayaking and kayak fishing. It's a whole new world.

Going OT here, but then there is this :shock: Paddle, pedal-drive or sail. All folds down to go on a car top rack.

I also have a sailing background so a certain bias here. I reckon it'd be handy for fishing though.


Yes, the Adventure island has some appeal. As a junior sailor I cut my teeth on Arafura Cadets, then went on to Arrows, Mosquitos and Tornados, and have been a multi-hull sailor ever since. But after sailing these boats I found the sailing characteristics of Hobies to be somewhat pathetic. I have seen the Adventure Island in action though and I'd have to say it sails quite well - for a kayak. As a sailor I'd much prefer a Triak though.

Oh, you mentioned fishing? Like this perhaps?

Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8339
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am

seddo wrote:
RonK wrote:In fact, my attention has recently been drawn to kayaking and kayak fishing. It's a whole new world.


Kayak fishing is a great pastime flicking soft plastic for estuary species, make a great compliment to cycling. But some of the forums can be quite "red neck" remember a post on one the forums that was extremely anti-cycling

Yeah, estuary fishing would be great, but I also want to get offshore. I was thinking an Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3. Then I discovered the Stealth Profisha 475. Hmmmmmmm - look at all those colours. And should I splash out for a carbon boat? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

seddo
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: ACT

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby seddo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Ron

A lot of the guys that fished offshore would use the Hobies with the mirage drive ( the 4.1+m variant) to predominately keep them away from the rocks when battling a fish. just a thought
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8339
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm

seddo wrote:Hi Ron

A lot of the guys that fished offshore would use the Hobies with the mirage drive ( the 4.1+m variant) to predominately keep them away from the rocks when battling a fish. just a thought

Yes, I understand the advantages of the Mirage drive, but I doubt the Hobies would handle the surf very well, or be able to quickly cover longer distances. That's why I've been looking at these two kayaks. The Stealth has the advantage of being much lighter and faster due to its fibreglas construction and its hull length. The OK Prowler Ultra is very rugged and has excellent features for offshore fishing but is 10kg heavier and would not be as fast. It would however be more manoeuverable and easier to handle in the estuaries and streams. And the Hobie Adventure Island seems to have all the advantages and is very appealing.

There seems to be as many choices of kayak as bikes, so half the fun will be in deciding which is the best choice.

And of course a prime reason for kayaking is to exercise the upper body. As you say it's very complimentary to cycling.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
gorilla monsoon
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Didn't take long to go completely OT, did it?
Won't climb, can't sprint.

Roger Ramjet: Giant CRX3
Lady Penelope: Avanti Cadent
Barry Allen: Specialized Sirrus Expert

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 7450
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: New Bike Mag

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Didn't take long to go completely OT, did it?


Did someone say somethinmg about a Maserati ?????

This is a car forum isn't it .... ???

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users