Chewed-up chainring

Howzat

Chewed-up chainring

Postby Howzat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

I was cleaning the bike and noticed these chewed-up teeth on the front chainring (compact 50T). Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

The bike has only about 1000kms on it. I did have a chain break on me a couple of months back, but otherwise no unusual drivetrain incidents. The inner 34T chainring looks fine, and I spend about 50% of the time on each ring. Is it possibly just normal wear and tear?

Jesmol

Re: Chewed-up chainring

Postby Jesmol » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 am

Chainrings on my SRAM chainset look the same, in fact one of mine had bent slightly causing an issue when back pedalling. I suspect they're made of fairly soft material and dont really like the chain running at funny angles across them

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

They make them like that to aid shifting.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

Interesting :!: :idea: . I noticed the asymmetric pins and scalloping on the big chain ring, I have no idea how it is supposed to work.

I did find a metal shaving I removed with a file from one of the gaps between the teeth, and some other minor marks. But that those funny-looking short teeth are a design feature is good to know.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Get yourself a set of "Needle Files" from your local Bunnings or hardware store.

You can tidy up the chain ring with those, only remove as much material as is necessary.

As to the cause, the same thing that broke your chain would have damaged them - most likely shifting under too much load or an excessively worn chain. If the chain only had 1000kms on it then refer to the first cause.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"