Mavic Aksion tyres

ab1981

Mavic Aksion tyres

Postby ab1981 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tyres?

I bought a new bike this year (Cannondale Supersix 3) which came with these tyres. I've used GP4000s for the last few years and have always loved the fact that you can run them into the ground with minimal punctures (ie GREAT tyres!).

It crossed my mind to put a set of GPs on the new bike but decided to give the stock tyres a go. Well, I've given them a 'go' and I can say these are the WORST tyres I've ever ridden on. EVER.

Highlights have included:
NUMEROUS punctures over the last five weeks.
A slice in the tyre on the very FIRST ride. (Should've been replaced but I've cautiously kept watch over it)
Breaking two tyre levers trying to get them off, whilst on a busy freeway, resulting in having to ring someone to come and pick me up.
Setting a PB time of 20 minutes of getting the tyre off the wheel after a flat during a ride.
Putting up with their terrible lack of grip.

It does my head in that Cannondale can make such awesome bikes but let themself down by putting such rubbish tyres on them.

In short, these tyres are bloody terrible. I love the new bike but can't wait to get back on Conti GP4000s (ie tomorrow!)

Would love to hear from anyone else who has had any experience on them - good, bad or indifferent.

bardygrub

Re: Mavic Aksion tyres

Postby bardygrub » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 am

I too purchased a bike with these tyres, i got about 4000k + 15 hours on the indoor trainer before my 1st puncture on the rear.So allinall quite good. But then i replaced them with gp400s and cant beleive the difference! they just seem to be so muvh better in all aspects. :wink:

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am

bardygrub wrote:I too purchased a bike with these tyres, i got about 4000k + 15 hours on the indoor trainer before my 1st puncture on the rear.So allinall quite good. But then i replaced them with gp400s and cant beleive the difference! they just seem to be so muvh better in all aspects. :wink:
I read your post that you'd punctured while on the indoor trainer until i reread the post about 5 times... Was thinking that how in the name of all that is holy do you get a puncture in that circumstance, ROFL.

+1 for the GP400's, good tyres

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am

Big_Red wrote:
bardygrub wrote:I too purchased a bike with these tyres, i got about 4000k + 15 hours on the indoor trainer before my 1st puncture on the rear.So allinall quite good. But then i replaced them with gp400s and cant beleive the difference! they just seem to be so muvh better in all aspects. :wink:
I read your post that you'd punctured while on the indoor trainer until i reread the post about 5 times... Was thinking that how in the name of all that is holy do you get a puncture in that circumstance, ROFL.

+1 for the GP400's, good tyres
Well after posting the above yesterday, went out for a 85k ride.20k into the ride hit something on the road.. psssssst.the results are below.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

ab1981 wrote:Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tyres?

I bought a new bike this year (Cannondale Supersix 3) which came with these tyres. I've used GP4000s for the last few years and have always loved the fact that you can run them into the ground with minimal punctures (ie GREAT tyres!).

It crossed my mind to put a set of GPs on the new bike but decided to give the stock tyres a go. Well, I've given them a 'go' and I can say these are the WORST tyres I've ever ridden on. EVER.

Highlights have included:
NUMEROUS punctures over the last five weeks.
A slice in the tyre on the very FIRST ride. (Should've been replaced but I've cautiously kept watch over it)
Breaking two tyre levers trying to get them off, whilst on a busy freeway, resulting in having to ring someone to come and pick me up.
Setting a PB time of 20 minutes of getting the tyre off the wheel after a flat during a ride.
Putting up with their terrible lack of grip.

It does my head in that Cannondale can make such awesome bikes but let themself down by putting such rubbish tyres on them.

In short, these tyres are bloody terrible. I love the new bike but can't wait to get back on Conti GP4000s (ie tomorrow!)

Would love to hear from anyone else who has had any experience on them - good, bad or indifferent.
My Cannondale SuperSix came with these tyres and I thought they were quite good, until it rained. I was fishtailing around roundabouts, corners, basically anything not straight. I got them off (pretty easily) and replaced them with GP4000s.

I think they are good in the dry, average puncture resistance but very unsafe in the wet. The GP4000s are a far superior tyre.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

BurtO

Postby BurtO » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am

Cant believe I missed this thread in Jan, as it was about this time I was considering taking a set of tin snips to my bloody Mavic Aksion's just to get them off the rims, they came standard with my Fondriest tf3 and gave the harshest ride, then punctured like rice paper, and I to broke tyre levers trying to remove the tube and when it came to reinstalling the fixed tube, the pinch flats began, numerous pinch flats! I swear they made them to small for a 700c rim, thats probably when they came up with the marketing hype that they were made to be aerodynamic! So after doubting my tyre repairing ability, I got some GP400's and boy do they highlight the craptaclious nature of the Aksion's! They must be avoided at all cost ! No redeeming quality's at all.
( hope I spelt craptaclious right!)
Cheers
BurtO

SuperCan

Postby SuperCan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 am

I also bought a 2013 SuperSix 3 just before X-mas and it came with Mavic Aksium S wheels and these tyres. I was not impressed with Aksium Race wheels I had a few years back. After I searched and realised Mavic puts different tyres on their different road wheels, I guessed Aksions will be more or less the same entry level like the wheels themselves.

All in all, I didn't even get tempted and sold the complete wheels right off the bat. At the moment I'm using my Dura Ace C50s with GP4000s on the new bike which I borrowed from my Synapse C3. But am in the market for a pair of lighter weight wheels. Campy Eurus is no. 1 candidate at the moment.