Titanium Road Bikes

Dave R32

Re: Titanium Road Bikes

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Rich-Ti wrote: After all, companies only stopped working in alu because carbon processes became so straightforward - as a material there's no reason not to use alu, and anyone riding a top end alu bike will realise the belief that they're a harsh ride is totally unfounded. My CAAD9 was a better bike than my Cervélo R3!
Finally someone who understands...I went from a Avanti Alu bike (dead frame to ride) to a Trek Madone and now a CAAD10 which is the most comfortable of the lot in-spite of being the most aggressive geometry of the three. I had one guy who has never ridden a CAAD10 tell me that the "road buzz" would kill me, another tell me that I would get a bad back because of the harshness of the ride, both were talking BS. Having said this my next frame will be Steel or Ti as I want to experience them.

Cheers
Dave.

PS: Comedian....great choice of frame. I am sure the wait will be worth it.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Dave R32 wrote: Finally someone who understands...I went from a Avanti Alu bike (dead frame to ride) to a Trek Madone and now a CAAD10 which is the most comfortable of the lot in-spite of being the most aggressive geometry of the three. I had one guy who has never ridden a CAAD10 tell me that the "road buzz" would kill me, another tell me that I would get a bad back because of the harshness of the ride, both were talking BS. Having said this my next frame will be Steel or Ti as I want to experience them.
When you're into a high-end frame regardless of the material there isn't much difference in the performance.

I own high end alloy, ti, carbon & bamboo bikes - when you're at the pointy end the biggest difference between them all is the price.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Dave R32 wrote: Finally someone who understands...I went from a Avanti Alu bike (dead frame to ride) to a Trek Madone and now a CAAD10 which is the most comfortable of the lot in-spite of being the most aggressive geometry of the three. I had one guy who has never ridden a CAAD10 tell me that the "road buzz" would kill me, another tell me that I would get a bad back because of the harshness of the ride, both were talking BS. Having said this my next frame will be Steel or Ti as I want to experience them.
When you're into a high-end frame regardless of the material there isn't much difference in the performance.

I own high end alloy, ti, carbon & bamboo bikes - when you're at the pointy end the biggest difference between them all is the price.
It still needs to fit properly !!!

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm

^^ Priority #1 on *any* bike.

I'd rather ride a sh*t bike that fits properly than a good one that doesn't.

alan_k

Postby alan_k » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Rich-Ti wrote: After all, companies only stopped working in alu because carbon processes became so straightforward - as a material there's no reason not to use alu, and anyone riding a top end alu bike will realise the belief that they're a harsh ride is totally unfounded. My CAAD9 was a better bike than my Cervélo R3!
I'm also riding CAAD9 and find it a better all rounder bike as compared to my previous Specialized SL3 s-works.

SL3 is light, fast, stiff, harsh - i reckon it's good for criterium/hills but not for long rides.
CAAD9 is responsive enough for race and yet comfortable enough (not as harsh as SL3) for long rides.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Stumbled across a used NEVI ti frame in my size, from a quick google they seem to be a small italian mob who do ti bikes.

The model im looking at looks to be a slightly older one comparing to their current fleet, and i do like it aesthetically.

My concern is the welds look a tad messy, or maybe just not as neat as ive seen. Mind you im comparing to the super top end guys who do ti.

Should i be concerned?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 pm

It's your money....
But if it was mine, I wouldn't!
You are right - the weld finish quality is the worst I have seen in Ti.
Andrew

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Love the titanium but looks like chewing gum welding in parts.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Not sure if it is your size but there is a TI for sale that might be worth looking at

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am

Don't be so harsh. These are hand welded... not robot nor have they been ground flush which is also common but unfair to compare ground welds to raw welds. I personally wouldn't be concerned with the welds. Trouble is, it's an unknown quantity for you. You have no idea what that frame designers spec was, ie how the frame with handle. That is what would stop me buying it. If I couldn't find a bunch of owners of the same frame who are saying good things I would stay away.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

^ thanks fellas, i was mostly concerned with weld quality, aesthetically, i wasnt over fussed if they look messy. From the details id say its an older frame design of theres, ie internal brake routing, seat stay clamp bolt etc. Their current fleet has more modern details, ie external brake routing on the DS, seat clamp etc

The welds funnily look similar, ie messy, and no small and neat like you see on the top end frames, ie moots, baum, seven, etc.

Unfortunately hes asking price was too high, so i dont think ill pursue this

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Anyone out there ridden or own a Litespeed Tuscany from mid-2000's ?

Friend of a friend has one for sale and I'm interested in checking it out. The geo looks pretty "aggressive", but presumably I can tweak that with stem and spacers if needed. It would be for group rides, river loops and so on.

I've only briefly sampled a friend's Lynskey and it was great, but is a lot newer. Have Ti frames changed much in 10 years?
Last edited by BrisVegas on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I've no experience with older ti frames.

One thing I found interesting about Baum frames is their lightweight. I believe large frames weight between 1100 and 1300 (depending on model) which is reasonably competitive with carbon.

So I guess what I'm saying is check the weight out.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Comedian wrote:I've no experience with older ti frames.

One thing I found interesting about Baum frames is their lightweight. I believe large frames weight between 1100 and 1300 (depending on model) which is reasonably competitive with carbon.

As far as I can tell the frame is around 2.8lbs at 57cm. That converts to 1.27kg. Seems reasonable. If you wanted to throw light wheels and accessories on it, I'm sure 8kgs would be fairly achievable.

How's your Baum going?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 pm

BrisVegas wrote:As far as I can tell the frame is around 2.8lbs at 57cm. That converts to 1.27kg. Seems reasonable. If you wanted to throw light wheels and accessories on it, I'm sure 8kgs would be fairly achievable.
Easily, I would think.

My 1600g XACD Ti frame built up with very middle-of-the-road parts... including disc brakes and 28mm tyres... to about 8.5kg (plus pedals). That's just basic 9-speed Ultegra bits and 1750g wheels (incl rotors).

Nearly half a kilo off the frame, a couple of hundred less brakes, and probably a couple of hundred off the wheels, and you'd be nudging UCI limits.

tim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 am

Comedian wrote:I've no experience with older ti frames.

Pretty sure Baum use butted tubes (ie. thicker at the ends were they weld, thinner in the middle).

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm

They do - spec'd according to the rider on the Cornetto.

Mine (Cornetto) with ISP is still only 7.5kg with Ambrosio Nemesis wheels and Dura-Ace pedals on it - the wheels are nearly 1800g (before tubs & glue)!

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:43 am

Rich-Ti wrote:They do - spec'd according to the rider on the Cornetto.

Mine (Cornetto) with ISP is still only 7.5kg with Ambrosio Nemesis wheels and Dura-Ace pedals on it - the wheels are nearly 1800g (before tubs & glue)!
They make beautiful frames, dare I say the nicest Ti frames money can buy?

Rich-Ti

Postby Rich-Ti » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 am

You can say that if you like...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 am

Rich-Ti wrote:You can say that if you like...
It's always difficult arguing absolutes. ;)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Rich-Ti wrote:They do - spec'd according to the rider on the Cornetto.

Rich-Ti wrote:You can say that if you like...
You say Cornetto, I say Corretto ... Cornetto, Corretto...let's call the whole thing off ! :D

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 pm

So is it possible to still find a cheaper custom ti-frame manufacturer anywhere? The waiting lists for Triton, etc, have gone waaay up.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 pm

JonoMarshall wrote:So is it possible to still find a cheaper custom ti-frame manufacturer anywhere? The waiting lists for Triton, etc, have gone waaay up.
XACD delivered mine in 4 weeks from order last November.
titan-product are comparable, AFAIK.

But they just build what you tell them to build... no design advice, other than copying what they've built before.

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Perfect, thanks.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 pm

barefoot wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:As far as I can tell the frame is around 2.8lbs at 57cm. That converts to 1.27kg. Seems reasonable. If you wanted to throw light wheels and accessories on it, I'm sure 8kgs would be fairly achievable.
Easily, I would think.

My 1600g XACD Ti frame built up with very middle-of-the-road parts... including disc brakes and 28mm tyres... to about 8.5kg (plus pedals). That's just basic 9-speed Ultegra bits and 1750g wheels (incl rotors).

Nearly half a kilo off the frame, a couple of hundred less brakes, and probably a couple of hundred off the wheels, and you'd be nudging UCI limits.

tim
I rode the Litespeed Tuscany briefly on the weekend. Very cool bike. Light and fast, but perhaps a little smoother than my alloy bike. It was surprisingly light actually, built with SRAM Force and Mavic Open Pros. I wasn't expecting it to feel so "delicate". And this is a 59cm frame!

I'm buying it, but have to pay it in instalments. I'll pop back with pics when I finally own it. 8)