New Ortlieb Ultimate Pro handlebar bag on the way

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 am

A new handlebar bag by Ortlieb looks very different and has some new features for the modern cyclist.

Photos here

Image Image

A description of the handlebar bag's features is here
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Re: New Ortlieb Ultimate Pro handlebar bag on the way

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 pm

I like the idea of a a lockable magnetic lid closure but disappointing to see that there does not appear to be any option of attaching the map case.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:I like the idea of a a lockable magnetic lid closure but disappointing to see that there does not appear to be any option of attaching the map case.

Andrew
If that transparent section can't be used for hooking a map up, disappointing indeed. Because them I'm suss that they are just using it for touch screens.... Maps dont' require power etc
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 am

Fear not, there is a map case for this new bag although it is also a redesign and won't be available until 2013 when the bag itself comes in. Found this via the Thorn forums
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... CDoQ7gEwAg
Pricey bag. I could do without the stiff cover but wouldn't mind a better closure system, front pocket, actual Rixen&Kaul mount and the existing side pockets. Patience and hope that that'll be the 2014 model?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 am

The Ortlieb website has been updated, all the current model handlebar bags The Ultimate 5 in Classic, Plus and Compact all say 'discontinued product', variously as 'still in stock' or 'sold out'.
The Ortlieb replacement isn't just the Ultimate Pro (actually now called the Ultimate M Pro), there's also an Ultimate M Plus. The Plus is like the earlier model Plus except for the magnetic closure and lid that locks when the bag is locked to the bar. Still has the side pockets, same cordura canvas material and 7 litre capacity.
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en ... ate6m_plus
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en ... imate6_pro
So you don't have to buy an insanely ugly humpbacked bar bag, there's still a regular-looking bag with a few improvements (and a little extra weight).

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 am

Was checking if this has come out yet, nope and no due date. However Ortlieb have again updated their website, the Ultimate 6 now comes in Pro, Plus, Classic and Compact. But will we ever see one?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Bike24 is offering the Ultimate 6 Classic in several colours and the Plus in red.

The images posted look just like the Ultimate 5.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 am

Except that the old bags used brass studs on the lid to hold the map case and secure the lid, these pics show something different. I checked the new mounting bracket and Bike24 have re-used the pic for the old bracket
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=45483
The new bracket locks the lid and possibly will work with my non-Ortlieb bags (hence my interest)
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en ... ate6m_plus

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:The new bracket locks the lid and possibly will work with my non-Ortlieb bags (hence my interest)
Well the wire attachment used by the Ortlieb bracket is a pita anyway, and the locks are pretty useless. I already use a Rixen Kaul bracket with my Ultimate 5 Plus. And it is compatible with most brands of bags.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

RonK wrote: I already use a Rixen Kaul bracket with my Ultimate 5 Plus. And it is compatible with most brands of bags.
+1
On a side note, I've just realised that wiggle no longer sells Ortlieb to Australia, so where is the next least expensive site to grab their panniers from.
Is it Ze Germans with their pedestrian postage?
I'm going to grab some Rear Roller Classics to match my front set, attached to a Tubus Cosmo already on my wish list.
I'm happy enough with my Ultimate 5+ so not ready to upgrade it after only a year and one big tour.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I bought all my Ortleib gear from PBK last year. They had the best prices at the time and still delivered to Australia. Not sure about the current situation.
I was a little bit disappointed that the occy straps wore holes through my Ortleib dry bag that I placed sideways on top of the panniers. I thought the dry bag material was indestructible. My fault though, it was the steel hooks that wore the holes, not the strap itself.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Tim wrote:I bought all my Ortleib gear from PBK last year. They had the best prices at the time and still delivered to Australia. Not sure about the current situation.
I was a little bit disappointed that the occy straps wore holes through my Ortleib dry bag that I placed sideways on top of the panniers. I thought the dry bag material was indestructible. My fault though, it was the steel hooks that wore the holes, not the strap itself.
Thanks Tim,
good to be aware of some alternatives.
Cheers
Aidan :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Tim wrote:I was a little bit disappointed that the occy straps wore holes through my Ortleib dry bag that I placed sideways on top of the panniers.
Seamgrip is the good stuff to repair it :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Meh. I've got a brand new (replaced) Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus-M with a map case still in the box. The last one had both of the bottom fasteners for the lid fall out, and the plastic map case ripped in half after only 2 weeks worth of usage. I like having a large, water resistant handlebar bag but for the price I paid I did expect better quality. I think I'll ebay the current gear and get the new version.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm

elStado wrote:Meh. I've got a brand new (replaced) Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus-M with a map case still in the box. The last one had both of the bottom fasteners for the lid fall out, and the plastic map case ripped in half after only 2 weeks worth of usage.
Crikey :shock:

Never heard of this happening. I've had mine for over 12 months now and it has done many days of touring, at least 8-10 weeks in total, with no signs of any failures. How did the map case tear?
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

il padrone wrote:
elStado wrote:Meh. I've got a brand new (replaced) Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus-M with a map case still in the box. The last one had both of the bottom fasteners for the lid fall out, and the plastic map case ripped in half after only 2 weeks worth of usage.
Crikey :shock:

Never heard of this happening. I've had mine for over 12 months now and it has done many days of touring, at least 8-10 weeks in total, with no signs of any failures. How did the map case tear?
The map case tore right near the velcro, just from being opened up once a day for 2 weeks while I was on the road. I'm very careful with my gear. It's just not durable enough.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

The sub-contracted Chinese production must've off-shored back to Greece? :D

Globalisation :roll: Tch...
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:28 am

elStado wrote:The map case tore right near the velcro, just from being opened up once a day for 2 weeks while I was on the road. I'm very careful with my gear. It's just not durable enough.
Bummer. I have had a good run out of mine. Have you contacted Ortlieb? They will probably send out a replacement.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 am

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:The map case tore right near the velcro, just from being opened up once a day for 2 weeks while I was on the road. I'm very careful with my gear. It's just not durable enough.
Bummer. I have had a good run out of mine. Have you contacted Ortlieb? They will probably send out a replacement.

Andrew
Hopefully the replacement will be better. A fellow bike nut, cyclo tourer I stayed with in France was pretty surprised as well. I did try to contact Ortlieb direct, to no avail. Thankfully Evans cycles were pretty cool about it once I explained what happened and sent them some pictures. They hooked me up with brand new replacements and refunded all my postage costs too.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

There's a new version of the top end handlebar bag, the Ultimate6 Pro E, for 2014. This has the same transparent lid on the top so that you can see your GPS or smartphone that you've stowed away inside however it also allows those devices to be recharged. Per Ortlieb:

"ORTLIEB’s Ultimate6 Pro touring handlebar bag launched in 2013 is the basis for a new version with electric power connection. Electricity generated by the hub dynamo is provided for charging mobile devices inside the bag or for operating devices such as GPS inside the transparent lid. A transformer (available separately) converts the AC voltage provided by the hub dynamo into electric power for mobile end devices. The converter may be positioned outside the bag (e.g. Busch + Müller light “Luxos U Lumotec IQ2” or Supernova “The Plug”) or inside (e.g. Busch + Müller “E-Werk”). As the bag is taken off the mounting, contact points automatically separate. The Ultimate6 Pro E is supplied with a special mounting block with cables for universal connection. A USB cable is available as an optional accessory."

Haven't seen anyone stocling this yet but the new Ortlieb Barista is about. That one's an overpriced hipster messenger bag that has somehow been moved to the handlebars and given leather trim and less capacity. Why?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:51 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:ORTLIEB’s Ultimate6 Pro touring handlebar bag launched in 2013 is the basis for a new version with electric power connection.
As the bag is taken off the mounting, contact points automatically separate.
A nice idea, but it would want to be better designed than the current mounting. Many Ortlieb owners prefer to use the Rixen Kaul mounting.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:52 am

One thing that I noticed with HH's new Ortlieb Ultimate 6 bag was that the mounting block had these two screws that seemed to serve no purpose but weren't on my own Ultimate 5 bag mounts. Well Ortlieb have just released the product that fits there, a pair of height-adjustable accessory mounts

You can mount both upright or one up-one down, so have the GPS upstairs and carry the backup light under the bag.

Edit: fixed the link to English version. Sorry.
Last edited by just4tehhalibut on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks Dave. That looks interesting and could be handy as I found with the Ultimate 5 on my Surly Long Haul Trucker it reduced my options to use the handlebar for mounting lights. Less of an issue now that I have gone to a dynamo but still.

Andrew