Maintenance 101 - Hammer, vice, crow bar

ColinOldnCranky

Maintenance 101 - Hammer, vice, crow bar

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Well, the happmer proved not us top the task but the rest worked a treat.

I had an issue with my seat this week. But I found that the seat post would not come out of the frame. It seemed to be jammed solid.

I tried a weighty ball pein hammer. It budged it alright in that at least it slide down about 5 or 6mm. Not rusted on but still not coming out. Now I had a seat that was too low.

5mm low does not sound much to a cyclist. But on a uni it can make the ride impossible for some and unpleasant for others. Sort of like having to ride the whole trip with a 15 degree cross slope sort of unpleasant. The last two days have sucked I have scaled my riding right back to the basic 10km because of it. My first two day break this year.

So this evening I took the whole thing out to the shed, put the post in the heavy duty offset vice (I had to really rack up the pressure) and grabbed my handy 5 foot crow bar that usually just breaks concrete.

A push to the left... a push to the right... back to the left. Voila. About a minute to work it all free.

Finesse and delicacy are fine. But sometimes you just gotta go rough. Other than some vice-bite marks that I had to file off the seat post nothing seems to have suffered.

More than ever I am looking forward to the ride tomorrow. :)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Big_Red

Re: Maintenance 101 - Hammer, vice, crow bar

Postby Big_Red » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: Finesse and delicacy are fine. But sometimes you just gotta go rough. Other than some vice-bite marks that I had to file off the seat post nothing seems to have suffered.
Sacré bleu! That is an absolute travesty to abuse your gear like that. :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 am

From my airframe fitter days

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway".

QED.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:From my airframe fitter days

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway".

QED.
It did occur to me that if I could no longer adjust the seat post it was time to get a replacement anyway. So what would be the damage if the welds at the crown came adrift anyway?

It is a very low speck heavy steel job that has done over 24,000km. I think that I have enough riding history to justify spending $500 or so. With existing square taper cranks I can't even work on bunny hops, a very useful skill for the sort of riding I do.

I wonder what a titanium 8) frame job would cost?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Did you try a spanner or allen key to loosen the locking collar first? Might have saved you some grief :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Good job. Do you do house calls?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Did you try a spanner or allen key to loosen the locking collar first? Might have saved you some grief :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ha ha. A pox on you and all your bikes. :wink: