Mad Fiber

HLC

Re: Mad Fiber

Postby HLC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

neoppg wrote:
Nobody wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Reads like they really are Mad Fiber at the moment.

Might be worth trying different brands of tyres and rim tape though.
Tried different tyres as advised by the distributor and they apparently don't require rim tape.
I certainly wouldn't have trusted my local agent to contact Mad Fiber. With an incident like yours I would have just gone direct. Cut out the middle man.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:59 pm

HLC wrote:
neoppg wrote:
Nobody wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Reads like they really are Mad Fiber at the moment.

Might be worth trying different brands of tyres and rim tape though.
Tried different tyres as advised by the distributor and they apparently don't require rim tape.
I certainly wouldn't have trusted my local agent to contact Mad Fiber. With an incident like yours I would have just gone direct. Cut out the middle man.
I actually did write an email to Mad Fiber after the first blow out and ,,,,,,, IMO they just "blew" me off

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Bugger.........a serious bad result for some magic looking wheels........I can only hope you can get it sorted, and that it's not caused by poor wheel design. :(

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend much the same money on a more well known brand. :shock:

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm

So, here is my final word on The Mad Fibers....... Notice anything different..... !!!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Those valve stems are long. Are they for tubes?
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Nobody wrote:Those valve stems are long. What tubes are they? Vittoria Latex?
Didn't take long for someone to pick that up..... It's the only combo I had when just fitted them up..... Got to get to the bike shop.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 pm

OK then. The first guess was correct. Thanks.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Paired spokes is so mid 2000s. :)

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

petal665 wrote:Paired spokes is so mid 2000s. :)
I'm living in the past then..... Thanks for your insight!

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm

neoppg wrote:
I think I rad somewhere that they were doing it it 1996 ..... LOL!!!!

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:15 pm

neoppg wrote:
neoppg wrote:
I think I rad somewhere that they were doing it it 1996 ..... LOL!!!!
Yeah, Rolf have been doing it forever, everyone else started mid 2000s and then went away from it again.

EPO

Postby EPO » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Rolf Prima own the paired spoke patent - hence not many others do it - as they have to pay a royalty.

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

EPO wrote:Rolf Prima own the paired spoke patent - hence not many others do it - as they have to pay a royalty.
Very happy with this set of wheels. Just got back from TDU and going the 46 mm in the front was a great idea with crosswinds..
Last edited by neoppg on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Aside from your issue with the tyre blowing off the MF rim, did you get much ride time to assess the MF's and if so how did they ride for you?
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 am

open roader wrote:Aside from your issue with the tyre blowing off the MF rim, did you get much ride time to assess the MF's and if so how did they ride for you?
To be honest, I enjoyed riding the Mad Fibers but experienced my first rear blow out on the 2nd day out on them. It really zapped the confidence out and took time to restore, Just when it was coming back I got my 2nd and it was a front and not a real nice feeling at all.....

Apparently it is rare and a friend has bought a set at around the same time as me and hasn't experienced any blowouts at all. I am now told that it is possibly a production run issue at the time and I have no doubt in my mind that when they do address it they will be a great wheelset...

Shannon from Koiled has been very understanding about it all, especially considering he is unfortunately the meat between the sandwich in this case.

Its just my opinion and of course I have no "qualifications" to say this ..... BUT ,,,,,, although the aluminium tyre bed they have put in to absorb heat from the carbon rim may do wonderful things in that respect it has obviously made it very temperamental with the perfect tyre match.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I see.

I was fortunate enough to have a tubular pair to test for a week or two. Ultimately too light weight for my need for stability in strong winds, but aside from that the MF's were easily the most reactive, most climb-able, most sprint-able wheel set I've ridden yet. I wish they made a lower profile model.......... :oops:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am

open roader wrote:I see.

I was fortunate enough to have a tubular pair to test for a week or two. Ultimately too light weight for my need for stability in strong winds, but aside from that the MF's were easily the most reactive, most climb-able, most sprint-able wheel set I've ridden yet. I wish they made a lower profile model.......... :oops:
ENVE smart 3.4s with CK hubs? ;-)

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Some further feedback from those of you who are interested.
I actually race in the Koiled road team alongside Shannon and have had my Mad Fiber tubulars for probably close to a year.
They are super light at around 1kg for the pair and my set with tyres, skewers and tubulars complete comes in at approx 1.7kg.
They are great wheels for crit and road racing but I am not convinced I would ride them (or any deep dish carbon wheelset) day to day or on hilly courses.
I have seen the results of carbon wheels being used in the mountains.
I will agree that they can be twitchy in the wind but a combination of super light weight, wide bladed spokes and deep dish is going to do that.
I guess you need to ride what is best for the conditions you have on the day.
I am not a massive guy at around 83kg and 6'3", but these are definitely not flimsy, flexy wheels.

My summary is that these are a great wheel for the right application and I dont have any hesitation in recommending them for that application.

Last edited by sumgy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

MF tubulars + Vittoria SC Evo tubs + me 80kg (AT) 95psi front and 105psi rear = compliant and very comfortable ride over rough chip seal rural roads. The set I tested were bomb proof, only a collision / crash would damage them - no reason why one could not use them for CX......... the spoke straps are the real deal, the bonding to the rim and hub is properly rock solid.

DogmaticPinni

Postby DogmaticPinni » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 am

I have to say I've had the exact same issue with my Madfibre clinchers. NOT due to poor fitting (my LBS fitted the first set of tube/tyres) nor due to extended breaking, WA is flat as a pancake:)

Had front wheel blow twice mid race. Had a replacement set sent (and assured I was the only one with issues). The replacement set blew multiple times within the first 10mins before they even hit the road then using a ton of talc, strong rubber gloves and a pair of earmuffs I got them on and they stayed up for months without issue (one regular flat only).

Sadly, the front popped randomly a few months ago and after a few other niggly issues I set the full second set back, & have gone to Tubbies.

All I can say is I'm very impressed with the after-service the local distributer has given and I do think they'll get it sorted soon but being such a new item in a small company MF seem to be suffering a bit with this. The other important point to note is when they roll they are magic - flat out magic wheels, I just don't feel confident on them. I'm very keen to get on the tubbies now though.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm

I've decided not to go with these. If I'm going to spend that much money I'm not prepared to take the risk. :(

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Comedian wrote:I've decided not to go with these. If I'm going to spend that much money I'm not prepared to take the risk. :(
What were you going to use them for Comedian?
If it is for racing I would be getting the tubs.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

sumgy wrote:
Comedian wrote:I've decided not to go with these. If I'm going to spend that much money I'm not prepared to take the risk. :(
What were you going to use them for Comedian?
If it is for racing I would be getting the tubs.
It won't be a racing bike.... so I need clinchers. :)

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

If it is not a racing bike refer my previous comments.