5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably don't

Xplora

Re: 5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably do

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Your partner needs a kick up the backside... That car they refuse to let go is forcing them to work an extra day for very little return. Mark my words.... The day is fast coming when the foolish are driving by choice.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 am

Who was that message for? My partner rides to work now most days a week. And the car we own costs us far far less than the 10K/year that many households spend on theirs - probably less than 3K/year (yes, including depreciation).

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:22 am

My car is 6c per kilometre in servicing and 10c per kilometre in fuel. And well, depreciation is not much more than 1c!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 am

wizdofaus wrote:Who was that message for? My partner rides to work now most days a week. And the car we own costs us far far less than the 10K/year that many households spend on theirs - probably less than 3K/year (yes, including depreciation).
Just a comment on the blog "if I can do it, why can't you"... not her specifically, more the general vibe out there really.

It's a similar response to many noble attempts to do something that requires effort, like quitting smoking, saving for a house deposit, smashing a climb. It's hard to avoid sounding sanctimonious when you utter those words because they create this reality in their head where you didn't go to the effort of adapting and working towards the commute lifestyle. Like you emerged from the womb able to haul 10kgs over 10kms in traffic.
I ride 20kms each way every day to work barring injury and recovery from big rides. I was riding for about 18 months before then, half the distance. I readily admit I was getting sick from the effort to ride 3 days a week when I started my latest job. But you adapt, HTFU and get on with it. No one was patting me on the head saying "good on you"... the only comments I get have a "you're mad" undertone.

I am privy to the spending habits of lots of people, and the number of people spending 20 bucks a fortnight on a gym would make you vomit. They can't all be on supervised rehab programs :idea: Good blog. Well written, keep it going.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am

Xplora wrote:I am privy to the spending habits of lots of people, and the number of people spending 20 bucks a fortnight on a gym would make you vomit. They can't all be on supervised rehab programs :idea: Good blog. Well written, keep it going.
Thanks. But I have to say, 20 bucks a fortnight on keeping fit is peanuts really...I've already worked out my cycling habit is going to cost me in the order of $300 a month now (including event entry, accommodation, travel to events etc.). On top of that I usually put quite a bit towards the fundraising that such events are connected with, so it's, um, over double that!
But I can't think of anything else I'd rather spend my money on...and still (marginally) less than the cost of owning a nice car.

Also...for me riding has never been "an effort". It's just what I enjoy doing. I've commuted to work by every means imaginable over the years, including walking from one room to the next. And I'd still pick cycling over any other method - though I'd rather have more choice over those I have to share the roads with :-)

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Xplora wrote:I am privy to the spending habits of lots of people, and the number of people spending 20 bucks a fortnight on a gym would make you vomit. They can't all be on supervised rehab programs :idea: Good blog. Well written, keep it going.
I don't get what you are making with this statement.

I can afford it so why is that any concern of yours.

When I don't want to ride and do gym work or even a group class I can wonder down to the gym, that is why I pay for it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

skull wrote:
I don't get what you are making with this statement.

I can afford it so why is that any concern of yours.

When I don't want to ride and do gym work or even a group class I can wonder down to the gym, that is why I pay for it.
If you don't appreciate my comment, you are free to leave it and move on. Gyms are an obscenity, much like a daily cafe coffee and toast. It is so expensive that it should give pause. There are people out there for whom the gm is necessary, but they are rare little chickens. Like I said. Supervised rehab. It is wasted money for most. Run up and down the forestairs twice. Cardio done. Lift a box paper. Resistance done. Stretch. Cool down done.
People can do as they choose, but I will have an opinion about it. ;)

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 pm

it is a silly opinion. If you have no use for a gym then that is fine for you, your situations do not fit other peoples. We don't want to live by your mantra.

I don't want weights etc in my house, the gym supplies those. Although I do have a heave beam in the garage.

Group classes to help people be motivated and also supervised if they are unsure about what they are doing. I enjoy going to the occasional spin class when I don't want to do a real ride or a trainer session (find that if I am lacking any motivation and do a trainer session I usually cut it short).

Teadmills etc for when it is raining

Some people also enjoy the social aspect of going to a gym.

simonn

Postby simonn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Xplora wrote:Gyms are an obscenity
Not if you want to do (proper) resistance training, or pilates, yoga, boxing etc etc.
Xplora wrote:It is so expensive that it should give pause.
All free for me (apart from my PT that is) :mrgreen: . Work benefits can be pretty good.
Xplora wrote:Run up and down the forestairs twice. Cardio done. Lift a box paper. Resistance done. Stretch. Cool down done.
Ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Xplora wrote:. Gyms are an obscenity, much like a daily cafe coffee and toast. )
Snipped

:roll: Do you really think about what you write, You seem to constantly criticise your own fraternity in a God like rebuking judgemental manner?
I am seriously thinking this forum is a bit self consuming.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:44 pm

outnabike wrote:
Xplora wrote:. Gyms are an obscenity, much like a daily cafe coffee and toast. )
Snipped

:roll: Do you really think about what you write, You seem to constantly criticise your own fraternity in a God like rebuking judgemental manner?
I am seriously thinking this forum is a bit self consuming.
In defence of xplora it is an online forum. One where we hopefully are all free to express our views. Gyms are an obscenity. But hey, so is spending $2000+++++ on a bicycle.

Both are a little ridiculous when you step back and have a look at things. But both are far better investments for your health than a bigger 4wd or a bigger LCD TV.Get comfortable in your own skin and such comment about gyms probably won't rile you up so much! :idea: :mrgreen:

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

human909 wrote:But hey, so is spending $2000+++++ on a bicycle.
Hmm, I'd say as long as there are other bikes an order of magnitude more expensive, your own doesn't qualify as an obscenity!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 pm

God like manner? I have opinions about stuff. I'm glad that you aren't exposed to the horror story that is modern consumerism, both the excesses, and the people who get crushed by it, because it clearly doesn't affect you. I don't think it is fair to keep every critical thought bottled away... it's a forum of ideas, both good and bad.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:09 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Hmm, I'd say as long as there are other bikes an order of magnitude more expensive, your own doesn't qualify as an obscenity!
Its all relative because no matter how obscene you are there is bound to be somebody more obscene than you are.

I drive a $2000 car, and ride $350 second hand bike. I am not somebody who most people who consider consumeristic. Yet this evening I sleep in an apartment that tomorrow will be cleaned by 'second class citizens' of Latino background. I will whittle my time tomorrow away on the freshly dusted powder slopes while people with the wrong passsport (or likely none at all) perform services in the resort.

I don't mean to turn this into a serious discussion. But with the wealth almost ALL Australians have, we cannot help but be obscene. :wink:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:17 pm

but, but, ...
he was attacking coffee and toast..... :D

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 am

Won't post any more links after this, but I'm definitely still keen on hearing any suggestions/criticisms etc. from those of you with time to read! Latest post:

http://pedalingtowork.blogspot.com/2013 ... dlock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 pm

outnabike wrote:but, but, ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best post I've seen all week.

A cyclist judge would let you use that as a murder defence for sure :mrgreen:

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Won't post any more links after this, but I'm definitely still keen on hearing any suggestions/criticisms etc. from those of you with time to read! Latest post:

http://pedalingtowork.blogspot.com/2013 ... dlock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You should add in the parking space required at destination. Typical car space is 4.9m by about 3.0m plus the access road needed.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Xplora wrote:
outnabike wrote:but, but, ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best post I've seen all week.

A cyclist judge would let you use that as a murder defence for sure :mrgreen:
Hi Xplora,
Yep that was my only reference, really . I personally have never been to a gym other than to do some work on them. Too many mirrors for my liking.
But just lay off my coffee.... :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Xplora wrote:Gyms are an obscenity, much like a daily cafe coffee and toast.
Next you'll be saying I have muffin-madness..... and what about the rampant chocolate consumption I have :shock: :oops:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:47 pm

KenGS wrote:You should add in the parking space required at destination. Typical car space is 4.9m by about 3.0m plus the access road needed.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

KenGS wrote:You should add in the parking space required at destination. Typical car space is 4.9m by about 3.0m plus the access road needed.
True that. Sometimes I wonder if urban sprawl is really down to the whole 1/4 acre block so much as it is to the roads and associated parking that go with it. Think about the bitumen wasteland surrounding every shopping centre. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

The part you wrote about road maintenance is garbage - roads carrying light traffic will last a very, very long time, it is heavy vehicles that do the damage. These heavy vehicles are not full of commuters (apart from buses, which are a necessity) and therefore will not be impacted by even super take up of cycling. A road with no light vehicles but still carrying the same volume of heavy vehicles will deteriorate at much the same rate and magnitude.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

wellington_street wrote:
The part you wrote about road maintenance is garbage - roads carrying light traffic will last a very, very long time, it is heavy vehicles that do the damage. These heavy vehicles are not full of commuters (apart from buses, which are a necessity) and therefore will not be impacted by even super take up of cycling. A road with no light vehicles but still carrying the same volume of heavy vehicles will deteriorate at much the same rate and magnitude.
+1 some clever bod on reddit wrote the other day that an 18 wheeler damages roads at ~10,000x the rate of a car. Anecdotally, it is the bus lanes that have the worse damage on Sydney roads.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:28 pm

il padrone wrote:
That picture always struck me as being unrealistic, as cars can't travel anything like that close to each other at any speed.

And yes, parking space required is obviously a big one, might squeeze it in as a comment in passing.