Three collisions per week between cyclists and cars

Ross

Three collisions per week between cyclists and cars

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2doxz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crash reports reveal there were at least 174 on-road collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles in Canberra last year, the equivalent of about three every week.

TAMS minister Shane Rattenbury said he was distressed by the level of antagonism between the two groups in the capital, and pledged to lobby his Labor colleagues for learner driver training to improve motorist's awareness of people on bicycles.

According to crash reports submitted to TAMS, the greatest number of crashes between motor vehicles and cars in 2012 were recorded in Civic, where there were 20 incidents recorded.

There were 13 recorded collisions in Braddon, 12 each in Turner and Phillip, and eight in Dickson, with the rest of the crashes between cyclists and motor vehicles spread across the ACT.

The ACT Greens went to last year's election promising to introduce specific training on the issue for all learner drivers, and Mr Rattenbury said he would be raise the idea personally with minister Attorney-General and minister for the environment and sustainable development Simon Corbell.

“One area I'd like to explore is driver training, so the very point that young drivers get their license ensuring that training on what I call vulnerable road users, which includes pedestrians as well, is part of the core competencies of the learner driver process,” he said.
Mr Rattenbury said there were also a small number of cyclists who were breaking road rules, endangering themselves and giving cyclists a bad name, and he planned to research the best way to reach out to and educate them.

“The level of antagonism between cyclists and motorists in Canberra is very distressing,” he said.

Cycling advocacy group Pedal Power ACT's executive officer John Armstrong said he was not surprised the greatest numbers of collisions were in the were in Civic and the more densely populated inner Canberra suburbs.

“The statistics reflect that you are more likely to have a collision close to your home than anywhere else, that is where you are more often,” he said.

Mr Armstrong said the $6 million Civic Cycle Loop, a bicycle path under construction that will circle the city centre, would increase comfort for cyclists, but urged caution amongst motorists and those on bicycles.

“It really does send a clear note that all road users really must be careful of each other, [with] a high level of tolerance, because one accident is one too many,” he said.

Mr Rattenbury said improved cycling infrastructure, including dedicated cycle lanes and the Civic Cycle Loop would also go some way to addressing the problem of collisions between cyclists and motorists.

“What I would urge is for everyone to take a deep breathe, for people just to remember we all want to get home at the end of the day,” he said.

“Car drivers don't want to be caught up with the inconvenience and obvious danger to cyclists of being in an accident, and for cyclists to be aware that not all car drivers are comfortable and familiar around cyclists.”

cp123

Re: Three collisions per week between cyclists and cars

Postby cp123 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I'd say it's higher than that. I have a mate fairly high up in the ambulance service. She has said that there is approximately 1 or 2 "serious" accidents pretty much every day involving cyclists. That's not all the broken wrists, collarbones, bump offs etc which are classed as minor.

Would love to know how many fines were issues to car drivers though in relation to those accidents....

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Given the locations... I'd say most of them were accidental rather than malicious. I've had a couple of close calls in the Braddon/Civic area, I've learnt to merge into the traffic before the left turns so that I'm not trying to find a gap between the cars as they try and turn over the top of me. Having the Ayups turned on for Northbourne also helps a lot - I've had a lot less problems with cars pulling out of/into the side streets since I adopted that practise.

I've also had three malicious incidents in the last week, quite a change from the usual. One van (swerved in front of me to block the on-road as I was about to pass), one bus (cut into the on-road to give me a scare), one car (sped up and tried to shave me with his mirror as I was overtaking a slower cyclist). In the case of the latter - I was on the white line, but I had done a head check and I should have been able to complete the pass before the car got there... but for the other two I was just legally minding my own business.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 pm

I will lay odds on the location of the Phillip incidents will nearly all be on Melrose. There are a couple of side streets where drivers come out and for some reason can see a cyclist in bright clothing in the bright sunlight. Seen a couple of hits and a near miss weekly.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Surprised there wasn't at least 2 today.

Douche #1: Riding down the Monaro (100km/h zone) at 5.20am with no rear light and riding in the car lane instead of the shoulder. I saw him about 100m before introducing him to my bumper. They did have a front light which was very bright.....not much use when cars are approaching from behind (AT) 100km/h

Douche #2: SS/Fixie rider heading north over Comm ave bridge (on the road not path) (AT) 5.45am (still considerably dark) wearing black lyrca again with no light nor reflectors. May look cool in the mirror at home before leaving but I wonder how cool you'll be getting cleaned up by a car.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 pm

On the plus side, the comments section lacked the usual high concentration of vindictive cyclist-hate garble. It was still there, just not as much as I have read previously. Can we take heart from this? Having had a banana thrown at me, and 4 motorbikes pass within an inch or so of my elbow at speed, and a few incidents of verbal abuse in the last 4 weeks, perhaps not...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 pm

mrgolf wrote: and 4 motorbikes pass within an inch or so of my elbow at speed
I often get motorbikes pass too close and too fast as well. They aren't quite in the same league as tradies or buses but incidents still happen more often than I'd like. I find it suprising as I few motorbikes as bretheran of sorts, being on two wheels and vunerable to cars, trucks and buses the same as cyclists are but it seems this view is not reciprocal in a lot of motorbike riders.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Ross wrote:
mrgolf wrote: and 4 motorbikes pass within an inch or so of my elbow at speed
I often get motorbikes pass too close and too fast as well. They aren't quite in the same league as tradies or buses but incidents still happen more often than I'd like. I find it suprising as I few motorbikes as bretheran of sorts, being on two wheels and vunerable to cars, trucks and buses the same as cyclists are but it seems this view is not reciprocal in a lot of motorbike riders.
Motorbike riders are pretty tribal in their own world in my experience. Scooter riders are often looked down upon (as I've experienced), sports bike riders don't rate Harley riders, vice versa, etc, etc. They're not all that way inclined I'm sure, but I wouldn't expect much consideration on your velo.