main wind directions between Sydney and brisbane?

mst

main wind directions between Sydney and brisbane?

Postby mst » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:29 am

We're thinking about our next cycling trip to OZ, most likely travelling between Sydney and Brisbane in late October and November. What would be the better way to go, Sydney to Brisbane or Brisbane to Sydney? Wind roses at the BOM website look like it's mainly wind from the north-east which would speak for starting in Brisbane. However, all route describtions and guide books I see rather go the other way. Any advice from some local cyclists?

Thanks,
Matthias

djf01

Re: main wind directions between Sydney and brisbane?

Postby djf01 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:26 pm

mst wrote:Any advice from some local cyclists?
The North Easter is definitely the most common wind along the coast. It's a sea breeze effect, and springs up after lunch, and usually relatively light (but as well know, there is no such thing as a light headwind). While this is the most common, it's not a guaranteed wind direction by any means. The NE'er is also usually associated with fine weather. Southerly winds can occur at any time of year, and are usually associated with miserable weather. They are usually much stronger, but not as common.

All of the possible routes are reasonably windy/hilly and sheltered with trees.
Also, regardless of route variant you take, you won't be spending much time right on the coast anyway. For me, I don't think wind should be a really big deciding factor in choosing trip direction.

If it were just wind, I'd probably go Brisbane to Sydney. Plus I think Sydney makes a more rewarding destination city, but that's just because I'm from there. And the last day into Sydney is really nice (last 30km excepted), but I never found an enjoyable way to ride into Brisbane.

But then there are other considerations. I try to minimise the number of flights I take at the beginning of a tour, and have all the tricky connections
and multiple handlings at the end of the trip. This is to minimise the risk of the bike being damaged *before* the trip. So depending on where I was flying in from, I'd consider starting in Sydney, leaving the connecting flight to
Brisbane for the return leg.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 pm

Emirates fly direct into brisy now.On the route wind direction I wouldn't have a clue.But I would wonder if there is a reasonably safe route to ride (while being rewarding veiw wise as well)?.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, djf01. Sure, there's nothing like "light headwind" and of course wind never blows the most common directions at the time we ride an area :-)
Arriving in Sydney is definitely a nice thing to look forward to. We've been there several years ago. Never been to Brisbane so far and most likely we won't cycle near the coastline close to Brisbane. Surfers Paradise and area doesn't really look that nice cycling area. Guess we rather visit the national parks in the hinterland here. Let's see if it'll be north to south or the other way round.

djf01

Postby djf01 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 am

mst wrote:TNever been to Brisbane so far and most likely we won't cycle near the coastline close to Brisbane. Surfers Paradise and area doesn't really look that nice cycling area. Guess we rather visit the national parks in the hinterland here. Let's see if it'll be north to south or the other way round.
You will find that regardless of the route you take, you won't see too much of the coast line from the roads, whatever route you take.

There are a lot of short rivers along this coastline, and most of the towns - and river crossings - are ~10km upstream. You have to make the effort/detour to get out to the coast. I know I'm biased, but the NSW coast line is among the most beautiful in the world.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 am

Yes, I'm aware that we'll not always be right the shore. I'll go back to the Great Ocean Road for a close look :-) I haven't thought about the route in more detail unless we know we're really going. But there are several options to Hw 1 and we'd probably head a little more inland some place anyway.

djf01

Postby djf01 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 pm

mst wrote:I'll go back to the Great Ocean Road for a close look :-)
GOR is overrated IMHO. If you lived all your life in Melbourne, or England, then I can see why it might be impressive. And yes, the road does hug the coast for about 80km, but it's only the Victorian coast :-). I grew up in the Illawarra, and for all it's faults, it's a particularly appealing stretch of coastline (as is most of the east coast of Australia south from Fraser Island, IMHO). But then I would say that, wouldn't I.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:48 pm

mst wrote:Yes, I'm aware that we'll not always be right the shore. I'll go back to the Great Ocean Road for a close look :-) I haven't thought about the route in more detail unless we know we're really going. But there are several options to Hw 1 and we'd probably head a little more inland some place anyway.
10 years ago I rode from Sydney (Manly) to Qld then back to Murwillumbah. I took 3 weeks and enjoyed the tour very much. In all that distance I managed to ride on Hwy 1 for no more than 30kms 8) That 30kms was some of the worst riding I did.

There are lots of route choices away from the main highway, and they are often very peaceful, scenic roads. Helps if you don't mind riding some gravel road along the way.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Matthias,
I'm starting a Melbourne to Brisbane tour in early Oct and expecting to leave Sydney around the 17th of Oct. Looks like I might have a rider from Brisbane joining me in Sydney for that leg. We'll be taking an inland route which I think will be very rewarding. If you're interested in teaming up let me know. Otherwise I'd be happy to let you know the route we'll be taking. Where are you from, and how much riding have you done over here?

mst

Postby mst » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:41 am

Possible that we would meet somewhere but right now nothing is booked yet.
Getting a suitable flight looks pretty tough, planes very well booked. And our bosses would still need to give their ok as well. If I have any news, I can post here.
We're from Berlin/Germany and we've done 3 trips to OZ so far. We've been cycling between Melbourne and Sydney, South Western WA and around Tasmania. So we explorer the country step by step :-)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:04 pm

G'day

The Bureau of Meteorology has wind maps here

Regards
Andrew

mst

Postby mst » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:19 am

Ok, flights are booked (wasn't easy). So we'll be there almost all November going south from Brisbane to Sydney. So, banjo, maybe we'll meet up somewhere in/near Brisbane then :-) If at all....

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:59 am

You never know mst. Best of luck with your ride. Forgive me for not wishing a strong wind at your back because that means I'd be riding in to it! :D Have a great time.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:06 am

Have a good trip too. So nothing more than a light breeze for all of us :D

phillipa47

Postby phillipa47 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:29 pm

hi there, what date are you starting? i'm going brisbane - melbourne starting maybe around 1st november....

Peteandian

Re: main wind directions between Sydney and brisbane?

Postby Peteandian » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I would head south - We cycled Brisbane to Melbourne (via Sydney) over 6 weeks starting Christmas 2011. We loved it - If you are heading further south than Sydney, I can completely recommend taking a short inland detour along the Barry Way between Buchan and Jindabyne (see photo). Our full cycle tour log for the Brisbane to Melbourne cycle route can be found here