Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Scotness » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Anyone see this - it's on the CM web site right now

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6535361576

Scot
Find and give things for free - locally and globally - free-economy.org
Scotness
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm

by BNA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 pm

BNA
 

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Old news :P
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm

I’ve always considered these paths as futureproofing when the busway was constructed. Looking closely you can see where they stop and start either side of underpasses where future bridges can be installed. I believe they will be utilised in the next portion of the southern Veloway connecting down to Gaza road. North of where the photos were taken work is being carried out now around Greenslopes. The location of the current construction is very similar to the ‘futureproofed’ pathways under discussion.

Smart planning in my view. These portions just need a little clean up (possibly slight widening also) and it’ll be a great resource for southside commuters.
clydesmcdale
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Abby » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 pm

No, the plan was for a bikeway and construction started. But then Labor realised the budget was blowing out, and cut the bikepath from teh project, even though large sections had already been built.

Totally breaks my heart whenever I catch the bus, and see all that beautiful bike path that's unusable and connected to nothing. Thankfully now its being cleaned up and reintegrated back into the V1 project...

That was why I was very skeptical when they announced teh Gateway Bridge bikepath - I refused to believe it until they physically constructed the thing....
Abby
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 am

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby schurms » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Just received this from Bike Queensland. "I spoke to the project officer for Stage C from Dept Transport & Main Roads about a week ago and he was saying it would open in March." This is in reference to stage C of the Veloway V1.
schurms
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Parkinson, Queensland

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby schurms » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:26 pm

"Bike Only" signs now up at the Lewisham onramp to Veloway 1. This section will only go as far as Birdwood Road.

Getting close.

I understand this is a dedicated "Bike" way with no pedestrians allowed. Wonder how long it stays that way.
schurms
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Parkinson, Queensland

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

schurms wrote:"Bike Only" signs now up at the Lewisham onramp to Veloway 1. This section will only go as far as Birdwood Road.

Getting close.

I understand this is a dedicated "Bike" way with no pedestrians allowed. Wonder how long it stays that way.


I'd like to know where it drops you out at the southern end?

I've been watching the progress with this section from the bus when I am on it, an d haven't figured out where the access is at the southern end.

I'm looking forward to it being opened, it will be much better that the poor excuse for a bike path that currently runs through Tarragindi...I imagine that it will be a hotly contested sprint section on Strava... :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby schurms » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 pm

This segment is only a short one - effectively replacing the path through tarragindi. It will come out where birdwood road goes under the motorway.

There will be a tricky little crossing of several lanes of traffic to get on to it travelling towards the city. The next stage is supposed to bypass the canal and annerley tigers soccer fields which always get flooded. The last stage will put a bridge over birdwood road and come out near the Mt Gravatt climb along the SE freeway- but that is subject to funding and is about 2 or 3 years away.
schurms
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Parkinson, Queensland

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 pm

schurms wrote:This segment is only a short one - effectively replacing the path through tarragindi. It will come out where birdwood road goes under the motorway.

There will be a tricky little crossing of several lanes of traffic to get on to it travelling towards the city. The next stage is supposed to bypass the canal and annerley tigers soccer fields which always get flooded. The last stage will put a bridge over birdwood road and come out near the Mt Gravatt climb along the SE freeway- but that is subject to funding and is about 2 or 3 years away.


Ok thanks I thought that was where is will be as they widened the footpath on the eastern side of Birdwood rd from Marshall right through to under the Freeway...I expect that 'they' will want cyclists to cross at Marshall Rd crossing in preference to staying on the road, however I already choose to run the gauntlet of the traffic turning left onto the freeway as I despise the up-track of the bikepath that goes up to Esher St, no biggie for me.

Looking forward to the opening...

My preference would be to do the section from Birdwood to Gaza Rd climb first as the path is atrocious...IMO its better to calaim the lane on the Monash to Marshall section that deal with the ped's and the traffic turning in and out of the three side streets!
Still better infrastructure compared to the northside :D
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby gordy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Work is happening on the Birdwood Rd end of the new section of the V1.
Image
Heading towards the city.
Image
Heading south. They are creating a new path across the garden to Birdwood Rd on the left.
User avatar
gordy
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby whichway » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 am

Looks like there are starter bars for a bridge over the creek at Ekibin but it is fenced off. That would take the bikeway on the west side of the creek. Won't hold my breath waiting for the bridge though.

More information here -

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/V/Veloway-1-Pacific-Motorway.aspx
whichway
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby schurms » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Just received an update on Veloway 1. Obviously with all the wet weather they have gotten behind.

"Thank you for your enquiry about the completion date of V1 Veloway between Lewisham Street and Birdwood Road (Stage C - Package 1).

The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) anticipate the works of this section of V1 Veloway to be by the end of April 2013, weather permitting.
Works are still underway, due to associated upgrade works to the South East Busway on-ramp which is in the same precinct.

TMR advise you to please refer to the Veloway 1 - Pacific Motorway website project page for up to date information, at http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name ... orway.aspx

I trust this information assists."


The followup has surprised me. Thumbs up TMR...
schurms
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Parkinson, Queensland

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Myself and quite a few others commute the route from 8MP's into the city. Been watching this bit with interest. Looking at it, we suspect with all the earthworks the pathway (until bridge is built across birdwood Rd) will come out at the bus exit/entrance at the lights http://goo.gl/maps/mzb7z

So for morning commute, will have to dodge traffic getting onto the freeway by just moving over to right hand lane before going under motorway. For afternoons there shouldn't be a problem crossing over the road at this point and heading south on Birdwood -> Bapaume Road and back on to pathway at Shell servo.

As it is getting dark we will be glad to bypass Esher St and dodgy track on the south side of the freeway.

Dave
dclnmurray
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:15 pm

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Projects/V/Veloway%201%20Cycleway%20Pacific%20Motorway/velowaymap.pdf

Looks like it'll be a good cycleway, providing efficient access to/from the CBD in that direction.

Are the parts already completed getting patronage? Or are they pretty much dependent on the future developments?
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14811
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby marinmomma » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 pm

dclnmurray wrote:Myself and quite a few others commute the route from 8MP's into the city. Been watching this bit with interest. Looking at it, we suspect with all the earthworks the pathway (until bridge is built across birdwood Rd) will come out at the bus exit/entrance at the lights http://goo.gl/maps/mzb7z

So for morning commute, will have to dodge traffic getting onto the freeway by just moving over to right hand lane before going under motorway. For afternoons there shouldn't be a problem crossing over the road at this point and heading south on Birdwood -> Bapaume Road and back on to pathway at Shell servo.

As it is getting dark we will be glad to bypass Esher St and dodgy track on the south side of the freeway.

Dave


They are taking their sweet time completing the exit point at Birdwood Rd!
The rest of the path is sitting there begging to be ridden...and stravaed to within an inch of its life...there's a QOM to be taken!

It's almost like they forgot about the exit point until late in the project!
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 pm

The day it opens I'll be out there in force setting KOM times haha.

Isn't there also a bike lane there now too or am I thinking of somewhere else/shared bike lane?
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am

marinmomma wrote:
They are taking their sweet time completing the exit point at Birdwood Rd!
The rest of the path is sitting there begging to be ridden...and stravaed to within an inch of its life...there's a QOM to be taken!

It's almost like they forgot about the exit point until late in the project!


From what I can tell and from memory there is/was/going to be a bridge over Birdwood road... Looks like it'll be hopefull included in Stage E? Initially it was supposed to be in this stage, but looks as though they've revised it down to an of ramp/exit down to Birdwood. Or perhaps they'll do it once the off ramp is completed (hopefully, but doubt it) Have a look at the Veloway document page 5 shows a cable stay bridge with the highway in the background. The exit from the veloway would be to the viewers right out of shot.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Projects/V/Veloway%201%20Cycleway%20Pacific%20Motorway/brochure/velowaybrochure.pdf
clydesmcdale
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby chisel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Have they progressed with this exit onto birdwood rd at all? I've been checking it out when I use the bus but haven't used it lately. I imagine the continued wet weather is pushing the finish date out even further.
I'm a bit concerned at getting from the bike lane where you cross Marshall Rd, across the traffic and into the right lane for going alone birdwood rd. Looks a bit daunting considering how much traffic flows through there in the mornings.
Perhaps you could cross to the opposite side at the lights (weller rd or marshall rd) then back over. Seems like a hassle but safer.
chisel
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby marinmomma » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Went past on the bus last week, still no real progress being made, there is still earth moving equipment there....

But I did notice that there were ped's walking their dogs on the completed path closer to the Greenslopes bus station.. :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby dclnmurray » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 am

clydesmcdale wrote:
From what I can tell and from memory there is/was/going to be a bridge over Birdwood road... Looks like it'll be hopefull included in Stage E? Initially it was supposed to be in this stage, but looks as though they've revised it down to an of ramp/exit down to Birdwood. Or perhaps they'll do it once the off ramp is completed (hopefully, but doubt it) Have a look at the Veloway document page 5 shows a cable stay bridge with the highway in the background. The exit from the veloway would be to the viewers right out of shot.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Projects/V/Veloway%201%20Cycleway%20Pacific%20Motorway/brochure/velowaybrochure.pdf


I was told by the project team the bridge tender has been completed and will go ahead on completion of the temporary exit point currently being done. However that was two months ago and things can change.
And I agree, how long does it take to slap a bit of concrete down, just finish it because I hate the Esher street way now darkness is arriving.

Dave
Image
dclnmurray
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby marinmomma » Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 pm

There's still nothing happening with the exit point at Holland Park...still dirt and earth moving equipment sitting there!

Weeds are starting to grow all over the fence on the new completed bike path as well...
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby gordy » Sun May 05, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Guys, I rode past the Birdwood Rd exit on Saturday morning and there were workers on site actually working.
With 2 weeks of clear weather and hopefully more to come, let's hope this is finsihed soon.
User avatar
gordy
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby chisel » Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 am

I can't believe this is still dragging on after so many months. The weather has been great for a couple of weeks so what excuse could they possibly have?
All will be forgiven once it is open, I guess!
chisel
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 am

I'm at the point now where I've seen so little bike infrastructure delivered in the last few years that I don't believe them about anything until I see it delivered.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 am

Nundha still has that nice little jump when in the TT position for that new bikeway there... Though no on was there when I went past just after 9 this morning...
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Next

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit