The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw this one on youtube when viewing another posted here:

What a moron. Glad there's no peds around at that time.
no CCR points for him

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm

wellington_street wrote:Saw this one on youtube when viewing another posted here:

Ha, thanks for spotting it. Saved me posting it, it's one of mine from my commute yesterday. Me behind the helmet and cam, and my mate Darren that's the roadie in front of me (in single file unlike Mr MTB).

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Boognoss wrote:

Ha, thanks for spotting it. Saved me posting it, it's one of mine from my commute yesterday. Me behind the helmet and cam, and my mate Darren that's the roadie in front of me (in single file unlike Mr MTB).

Dont you understand! He's hardcore and he's faster than you!

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Moron? Knob. I assume he was trying to make a point, overtaking a brace of roadies. Sorry, but my instinct is to go past them - I don't want to get stuck behind them when they start wobbling.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Dat cadence.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Dont you understand! He's hardcore and he's faster than you!
I hang my head in shame. At least I was on a cyclocross bike and not totally smashed while on a roadie. Slightly better. But still I'm far too soft ;-).

Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am

:lol: :lol:

malnar

Postby malnar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:29 am

Update on my dog bite & chase incident. The council have the footage & they have located the owner. They have had an initial discussion with him. A further meeting is to take place shortly. In the interim he has agreed to keep the dogs on leash at all times. I saw him yesterday with the dogs and they were on leash in the off leash area which of course I am pleased with.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 am

malnar wrote:I saw him yesterday with the dogs
did you wave? I would have. or maybe blow him a kiss

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am

I have to include a cyclist I have been seeing on my way into work.

Not really to criticise but hopefully they post here and will read this and improve their safety.

OK in ACT a couple of mornings for the last few weeks I have noticed a bloke riding a recumbent down Benjamin Way in Belconnen.

It has a funny fairing bit behind the rider but the front half looks like a standard recumbent.

So as we know recumbents sit low. Lower than where a window starts on a car door. This is why recumbent riders usually have flags sticking up on the rear of the bike. This increases the riders visibility.

The rider I have been seeing has no flag, you are actually quite invisible going down that road. On Thursday I could see the driver in the car starting to freak out a little when they went past you in the other lane then you disappeared from her vision as you were along side but below the viewing area of the window.

So from all of this I suggest you get a flag before you become dead.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am

malnar wrote:Update on my dog bite & chase incident. The council have the footage & they have located the owner. They have had an initial discussion with him. A further meeting is to take place shortly. In the interim he has agreed to keep the dogs on leash at all times. I saw him yesterday with the dogs and they were on leash in the off leash area which of course I am pleased with.
Good result - as a sometimes pedestrian I wouldn't want to be near those dogs. Hope that prevents any further incidents.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:08 pm

? I dont get it.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Lost it with a ped today. He told me off for not ringing my bell before passing him. I unpolitely launched and told him that if he took his #%^**£ earphones out he would have £%#}[*^ heard me call "passing". I had a bad week at work, he picked the wrong time to set me off. But seriously, 90+% of them wouldn't hear a 747 up their bottoms these days due to earphones/headphones/smartphone usage, and to blame others for their own lack of awareness just does my head in. No, I don't have a bell, and when I used to have one it didn't work either. Airzound is now officially on the shopping list, I don't care if they crap themselves.

Where's the alcohol? I'm going to sulk quietly in a corner.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:35 pm

I know how you feel I get the complusion to rip the things out of there ears so very often.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 pm

twizzle wrote:Airzound is now officially on the shopping list, I don't care if they crap themselves.
woohoo. another one for "dark side".

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm

twizzle wrote:Lost it with a ped today. He told me off for not ringing my bell before passing him. I unpolitely launched and told him that if he took his #%^**£ earphones out he would have £%#}[*^ heard me call "passing". I had a bad week at work, he picked the wrong time to set me off. But seriously, 90+% of them wouldn't hear a 747 up their bottoms these days due to earphones/headphones/smartphone usage, and to blame others for their own lack of awareness just does my head in. No, I don't have a bell, and when I used to have one it didn't work either. Airzound is now officially on the shopping list, I don't care if they crap themselves.
I only just noticed where you're located! Do you ever ride in or around Palmerston? Cos if so, I might have seen you!

It's probably not you, cos the dude that's nearly run me over twice doesn't even yell anything to me. (Since taking up cycling, I don't use ear phones on shared paths any more).

The bloke doing the Tour de Gungahlin doesn't have a bell either (nor is he even wearing a helmet sometimes). It makes me really, really mad.

A bell weighs nothing. A bell comes with your bike to meet Australian standards, and if it doesnt, the seller is obliged to provide you one for free. And if you forget, what are they, like a couple of bucks?

I realise that you called out for him - but get yourself that AZ dude, because in my view, rather than assuming how loud his music was or how inattentive he was, you should consider your own wrongdoing in riding a bike that doesn't meet Australian standards. There's a reason that a bell, and not a voice, is the requirement for the standard.

This is less about you, its more about this cyclist that doesn't care that he's in a heavily residential area, and that kids and animals use that path. So don't take too much offence.

But I've heard all the justifications - and there's no excuse for not having a bell. To not have a bell and to expect everyone else to use paths on your terms is arrogant and it lacks respect. (And if people want to use the "some road bikes aren't sold with bells", then firstly - see above, get them to give you one. Secondly, ride on the roads, not on shared paths.)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 pm

I never use a bell when passing pedestrians on shared paths. It just makes them unpredictable. I used to, but too many peds would hear the bell and change their line, which way they moved was totally random. Through experience I don't use the bell as it causes more problems than it solves on a shared path. On the road to warn an about to jaywalk ped it is very useful, on a shared path it makes matters worse.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah Twiz, get one of these from Velogear and still be ignored by the skullwired cretins... :roll:

I got one to pad an order up to free shipping and hung it on my FG pathfighter. It gives my fingers something to do in the absence of shifters. :wink: It works a charm with normal polite humans and most animals if you give them a brrrriing about 20-30m back. With the skullwired, this might penetrate...
I find the sound will stop most CBD redmanners in their tracks.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Yeah Twiz, get one of these from Velogear and still be ignored by the skullwired cretins... :roll:

I got one to pad an order up to free shipping and hung it on my FG pathfighter. It gives my fingers something to do in the absence of shifters. :wink: It works a charm with normal polite humans and most animals if you give them a brrrriing about 20-30m back. With the skullwired, this might penetrate...
Shaun
What bell is that?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:I realise that you called out for him - but get yourself that AZ dude, because in my view, rather than assuming how loud his music was or how inattentive he was, you should consider your own wrongdoing in riding a bike that doesn't meet Australian standards. There's a reason that a bell, and not a voice, is the requirement for the standard.
No, don't ride Palmerston much.

Now, just so you are clear on your argument, bicycles are required by the Australian Standards to be SOLD with a bell. Once out the door, that doesn't apply. And I build my bikes, so I don't get one in the box.

Riding a bicycle on a road under the Australian Road Rules, a bicycle is required to have a "bell, horn or similar warning device". Never having had the discussion with the police, I haven't tried the "yelling is my warning device" argument. I do NOT expect to get away with it.

The bells provided with bikes these days are proxy shite - the best bell I have ever had was from my 1980's Apollo II... and a few years back when I fitted it to the last complete bike I bought, I got abused by some deaf old bint who told me off because "You didn't ring your bell" when I flipping well had. She had to be deaf, but apparently that's MY problem.

Peds on phones, peds talking to other peds, peds with wires out their ears - they are all off in a different world. You can pick the aware ones, they hold up a hand or call "thanks" when I call "passing". The others jump, either when they hear me and don't expect it... or when they don't hear me and I pass. I'm still going to use my voice as the primary warning, it doesn't scare people as badly... but the in attentive are not going to like my next warning device.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

twizzle wrote:The bells provided with bikes these days are proxy shite
Yep. But can still find a good brass bell to complement the AirZound.

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 am

I used to have a bell on my bike......

when I was 12

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:[

But I've heard all the justifications - and there's no excuse for not having a bell. To not have a bell and to expect everyone else to use paths on your terms is arrogant and it lacks respect. (And if people want to use the "some road bikes aren't sold with bells", then firstly - see above, get them to give you one. Secondly, ride on the roads, not on shared paths.)
Hi fatdudeonabike,
I reckon its all in the interpretation of the law, My bell certainly gets the attention of the average ped with ear phones.... :lol:
It came with directions "bong against hard objects" I havent figured out what that means yet. :D

Warning the contents of this pic may be offensive to some viewers,

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 am

merlin6014 wrote:I used to have a bell on my bike......
when I was 12
i have a bell on (some of) my bikes. it's useful for riding shared paths. if i want more cred as a rider, i go and do more intervals or hills. no one's going to be impressed that you don't have a bell.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I ride that path every day, but I come through around 6:30am and most people haven't even woken up yet.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi