Mavic Kysirum SLR Experiences?

Disciple

Mavic Kysirum SLR Experiences?

Postby Disciple » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am

Hi everyone,

I can't find this specific question on the forums so...

I am looking at a new set of race wheels. My personal requirement's based on where I ride and race are for a wheel that climbs well, has solid dependable braking for 2-8 km technical descents in the wet and dry and rolls well. Aero benefits are a lower consideration.

I have been using Fulcrum racing zeros until they were totalled in a crash. While I like them and they are also on the short list, I am considering the Mavic Kysirum SLRs with the Exilath braking surface (or the carbonne SLRs). Keen to here from anyone with experience with these wheels, esc from any bigger stronger riders (i'm 195 cm 89 kg and ride 180 mm cranks so I put reasonable (no where near pro) watts down esc when climbing.

BTW I also have hand built training wheels, so while I know their merits I am seeking something different for racing (personal preference).

Thanks in advance

RonK

Re: Mavic Kysirum SLR Experiences?

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 am

Wouldn't they be a step down from the Zeros? Go Bora instead.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:54 am

RonK wrote:Wouldn't they be a step down from the Zeros? Go Bora instead.
Exactly what I am trying to gage, while I haven't ruled out carbon wheels given the amount of hills here I have some hesitation.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:59 am

Mavic wheels in general with the big thick bladed spokes aren't very aero. Quite strong though but you have training wheels if you want strong.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 pm

The new Ksyriums are a lot stronger than they were a couple of years ago... I have been riding one at the same height, couple of kilos more than you, 180mm cranks etc ... I have got 18 months out of my rear which is a new record for me and Kyriums as a combo. I even used them for their 2nd full cyclocross season where they took some big hits and have had no issues. ALthough the braking surface takes a hammering.
Funnily enough though I wouldn't consider them for road racing... and I do do a fair bit of racing on really big hills.
100 grams of wheel weight is not the reason I get dropped on 8km long climbs.
Also I will add that Ksyriums aren't very stiff... I need to back of the brakes a fair bit to stop the rims rubbing the brakes on power climbs and sprints.

Disciple

Postby Disciple » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm

toolonglegs wrote:The new Ksyriums are a lot stronger than they were a couple of years ago... I have been riding one at the same height, couple of kilos more than you, 180mm cranks etc ... I have got 18 months out of my rear which is a new record for me and Kyriums as a combo. I even used them for their 2nd full cyclocross season where they took some big hits and have had no issues. ALthough the braking surface takes a hammering.
Funnily enough though I wouldn't consider them for road racing... and I do do a fair bit of racing on really big hills.
100 grams of wheel weight is not the reason I get dropped on 8km long climbs.
Also I will add that Ksyriums aren't very stiff... I need to back of the brakes a fair bit to stop the rims rubbing the brakes on power climbs and sprints.
Thanks Toolonglegs, great info.

I have had two sets of kysirums before. first set were the original late 1990s or early 2000's (can't remember exactly which year) they were bomb proof! Second set were the first year ES versions which turned out badly as I learn't after they cracked that they had a 80kg weight limit which the LBS neglected to mention (kudos to the Aussie Distributer who replaced the wheel anyway). I have heard they have improved hence considering another go (not to mention the exilath braking sounds perfect for wet winter descents) although I note your point on the rear wheel deflection. Never had that issue with the Fulcrums so maybe Fulcrum/Campag are a better option. I will go carbon if/when I move to the flatlands again.

Sounds like you are probably about as hard on wheels as I am, can I ask what wheels you are racing on?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

On the stiffness... I notice the front flexing more TBH.
My early model Ksyriums cracked pretty often around the spoke retainers... but I think the smoothing out around the retainers has reduced the stress points.
Last year I raced on DuraAce C50's and they were very good, I had had trouble with earlier model DuraAce wheels with snapping axles and cracking rims.
But I sold them as I thought 1 years ( basically racing only ) out of wheels was a pretty good run on an expensive wheel running with proprietary parts.
This year I am getting a 58/88 carbon tubular set up built for the flat races... I just want fast and super stiff. The hilly stage races start for me in May. I haven't decided what to get for them.
BUT I will either get a set of lighter 50mm carbon tubs or I am pretty keen on the Zipp 101's. Roughly the same price as the wheels you are looking at, 100g heavier but a hell of a lot more aero.