3 Peaks 2013

jimsheedy

Re: 3 Peaks 2013

Postby jimsheedy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree. Like the people i saw walking their bikes up mt buffalo last year. They weren't even half way. If you've gotta get off and push it better off turning around and trying again next year. No shame in that.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:48 pm

mthomas2012 wrote:Can someone tell me how strictly enforced are the cut off times. I'm considering the 3P in 2014 but don't fancy my chances of completing it in 13 hours. Do they really force you off the ride if you don't make the intermediate times? Can they actually do that, on what is essentially a public road?
jules21 wrote:
KenGS wrote:Riding on is potentially a serious issue for BNV as it may jeopardise their receiving permission to run the event in future and could also hamper Audax in their running of the ACE250.
i don't mean to be argumentative Ken (i'm not racist, but..), but i find it hard to understand how riding on a road after the nominal cut-off time, an activity which is entirely legal, can be a 'serious issue'. having said that, if you can't finish within the cut-off times you're probably not in good enough shape to enjoy the event, so i wouldn't encourage it.
The issue is for BNV and Audax who have to meet a whole set of conditions to run their events; including things that are not legal requirements for normal cycling on the roads. "Rogue" participants can make it that much harder for them to get permission in future. e.g. they may be required to introduce some form of qualifier for the event like Audax does or close off more of the road with consequent higher costs.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

VRE

Postby VRE » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 am

KenGS wrote:
VRE wrote:He seemed to be implying that using AyUps on this ride is not ideal? Or perhaps I misunderstood? For what it's worth, I just bought an AyUps light set specifically to use in next January's ACE250, and I'm very happy with their battery life and brightness :) .
You definitely need light but many people would be trying to keep the weight down due to the climbing required up Hotham and Back of Falls. If you have good lights and are willing to accept the weight penalty that's good.
I was hoping to avoid the more heavy handed advice about continuing on after the cutoff but here goes:
The Back of Falls road is closed to the public for the event until 8pm so they can stop you going up there during that time.
If you are taking part in the event you've signed up to the terms and conditions that specifies the cutoffs
Riding on is potentially a serious issue for BNV as it may jeopardise their receiving permission to run the event in future and could also hamper Audax in their running of the ACE250.
If you are outside the cutoff I would strongly recommend taking the sagwagon
Thanks for your concern, Ken :) . However, my previous posts didn't relate to the merits or otherwise of continuing after the cutoff, as I'm fairly sure I'll be able to complete the ACE250 within the allocated time. Having done Audax events before, I'm well aware of the lighting requirements, too.

Regards,

--- Victor.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi Victor - my comment on Ayups was in response to mthomas2012 who asked about continuing on after the cutoff in the 3 Peaks Challenge where lighting is a much bigger issue due to the short hours of daylight than the ACE250
I have no doubt you will have no problem completing the ACE250 in the time limit nor that you would do the sensible thing otherwise.
Just my confusion as to who I was responding to - getting old and senile :)
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

gavinb

Postby gavinb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm

mthomas2012 wrote:Can someone tell me how strictly enforced are the cut off times. I'm considering the 3P in 2014 but don't fancy my chances of completing it in 13 hours. Do they really force you off the ride if you don't make the intermediate times? Can they actually do that, on what is essentially a public road?
- In 2010, the cutoff times were not enforced. People were still riding at 10.00pm and beyond.

- In 2011, the cuttoff times were enforced. I made the second last checkpoint (at the bottom of the last climb) before the cutoff, but I missed the last cuttoff (half way up the last climb at Trapyard Gap) by a few minutes. Police had the road blocked a Trapyard Gap and said that any rider that passed that point would be charged with failing to obey an instruction from a police officer. No one out of about 40 riders was willing to challenge that order. The order applied both whilst the road was blocked to cars and after it was opened back up to cars. It was not the organisers of the ride enforcing the cutoff, it was the police. However, if you made it thru the last checkpoint prior to the cutoff, then there was no limit to the time it took you to complete the ride. You could finish at 8.30pm or 8.45pm (for example, if you get a puncture in the last section).

- In 2012, the cuttoff times were again enforced. I made it thru Trapyard Gap this year with a few mintues to spare, but I could see the Police getting ready again to stop all riders after the cutoff time. The difference this year was that as well as having to meet the last checkpoint cutoff time at Trapyard Gap, you also had to make it to the finish line by 8.15pm in order to be recorded on the results as a finisher. If you got in after 8.15pm, they still allowed you to finish the ride, but you were recorded as DNF and didn't get a finisher's jersey.

If you fail to make an earlier cutoff such as leaving the lunch stop, or leaving Omeo, there would be nothing stopping you from continuing. All you would need to say is you are are retiring from the ride and your partner is picking you up in the car just down the road, and then just keep riding. But you won't get past Trapyard Gap half way up the last climb. Of course if you got mechanical problems after continuing on after missing a checkpoint, it is a long walk to Falls Creek.

I was very disappointed (and angry) in 2011 in my first attempt at 3 Peaks when I was forced to stop, but in 2012, knowing that I not just completed the ride, but did it within the 13 hour time limit, made it much more satisfying. As I heard someone say, anyone who can ride a bit can finish 3 Peaks in 14-20 hours. But to complete it under 13 hours is a challenge. The cutuff times for 3 Peaks also make it a much harder ride than the ACE. The ACE has a cutoff of time of around 16 hours (if you start at 4.00am).

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:00 pm

gavinb wrote:As I heard someone say, anyone who can ride a bit can finish 3 Peaks in 14-20 hours.
dunno about that. i've ridden three Audax events (2 x 200, 1 x 250) and the easiest ones are the fastest - i.e. when i'm in superior condition. guys who hammer it out for 20 hours..... respect. that's pain :shock:

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:21 pm

WoW..didnt realise that is been 6-7 months since I posted my question and I thank you for some of the excellent responses. A lot has changed since I posed my question, Ive since completed 5 of the 7 peaks and will do the last 2 during the Audax 200kM ride this Australia day. Ive ridden the Noojee-Baw Baw-Noojee ride which is certainly one the favourite rides The Reefton Spur to Marysville and Lake Mountain return is high on my list as well. It snowed on my first ride up Lake Mountain from Marysville and is one of the great highlights I've encountered, Donna Buang is a fun ride and I find it much like Mt Buller. The Omeo to Dinner Plain return taught me heaps as the coarse bitumen on a hot day just sucks the momentum out of the bikes tyres and though its not as steep as its neighbouring mountains, it can wear away at you. For anyone that has not ridden Mt Hotham I highly recommend it for the fantastic scenery but dont get sucked in to some of its early easy grades and false flat, it can and will pack a whollop, in fact they forget to mention the Mount Saint Bernard that you have to go over on the way to the top of Mount Hotham. If I get though the Audax ride I will sign up for 3 peaks though I'm not sure why it costs close to $300 when Audax is much less.
Hopefully I can report back in 2 weeks with a positive story on the Audax ride.

Cheers

Chris

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:34 pm

OldnSlow wrote: If I get though the Audax ride I will sign up for 3 peaks though I'm not sure why it costs close to $300 when Audax is much less.

Chris
Possibly because it's an open event, not an Audax ride. Therefore there is a lot more support along the way.

OldnSlow

Postby OldnSlow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Good Point damn it, wheres the fun in having a rant and rave when people just apply logic to it....sheeshh..

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:54 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Possibly because it's an open event, not an Audax ride. Therefore there is a lot more support along the way.
the alpine classic is the best organised event i've ever partaken in. the audax support is fantastic.

while i understand BV have improved their game, early 3 peaks events were... disastrous?

the major difference between the 2 events is that the roads are closed to the public for 3 peaks (this costs $$$). i consider that overkill - there's never much traffic at the Alpine Classic and what traffic there is soon gets the message with the number of riders.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 pm

It wasn't a judgement it was a statement of fact. Yes alpine is very well organized and run the support is fantastic. Audax rides by definition are less controlled or managed than other rides. Of course your point about road closures is valid and probably is the major cost factor.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

jimsheedy wrote:Audax rides by definition are less controlled or managed than other rides.
i've heard this said and i guess it's the case for most of their rides, but i suspect the AAC is different. they don't advertise it, but there's a fair bit of support. not least all the food stops, which are invariably very well stocked. a key reason they don't need as much support is the qualifying requirements (for the ACE250). 3 peaks will take anyone's money, which inevitably results in stranded MAMILs littering the roadside :)

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

As my original post pointed out.

Endo

Postby Endo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Sorry to hijack, but in regards to running a suitable headlight - should I run my lighter-weight "to be seen" headlight (Tioga 1W), or my heavier "to see" headlight (Gemini Titan)? I'd really like to not have to lug the heavier headlight up the mountains if possible :)

Thanks

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 am

Endo wrote:Sorry to hijack, but in regards to running a suitable headlight - should I run my lighter-weight "to be seen" headlight (Tioga 1W), or my heavier "to see" headlight (Gemini Titan)? I'd really like to not have to lug the heavier headlight up the mountains if possible :)

Thanks
Based on my experience with the first two tines they ran this event bring your to be seen lights
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Endo

Postby Endo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 pm

jcjordan wrote:
Endo wrote:Sorry to hijack, but in regards to running a suitable headlight - should I run my lighter-weight "to be seen" headlight (Tioga 1W), or my heavier "to see" headlight (Gemini Titan)? I'd really like to not have to lug the heavier headlight up the mountains if possible :)

Thanks
Based on my experience with the first two tines they ran this event bring your to be seen lights
Cool, thanks for that! Any weight saving for me on a 4000m climbing day is good :)

I probably shouldn't go so far as to run a Knog Frog though, huh?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Endo wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Thanks
Cool, thanks for that! Any weight saving for me on a 4000m climbing day is good :)

My first attempt to finish was stopped because all I had was blinky lights.

It dis get dark really early that year due to pissing rain though
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:17 pm

jcjordan wrote:
Endo wrote:
jcjordan wrote: Based on my experience with the first two tines they ran this event bring your to be seen lights

My first attempt to finish was stopped because all I had was blinky lights.

It dis get dark really early that year due to pissing rain though
might have been the same year (2011), but I would've been buggered riding up the back of falls in the dark/pissing rain without my ayups...

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:21 pm

I dunno. Not being able to see that hell in front of you might be a bonus.

kosh

Postby kosh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 am

I've been up the back of falls, solo, on a cloudy night. It's inky black, the surface is challenging and undulating, and there are roadside ditches you can easily roll into. Also plenty of creatures around, from lyrebirds to brumbies. For an event some people will just hop on behind another rider with decent lights, but I think that's lunacy. Recommend you take Ayups or similar high beam light. I was sure glad of mine.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Definitely ayup territory, ESP if the weather turns bad...

Endo

Postby Endo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Definitely ayup territory, ESP if the weather turns bad...
Dam, I hope the weather stays fine then - that Gemini Titan isn't a light-weight...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:43 am

Endo wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:Definitely ayup territory, ESP if the weather turns bad...
Dam, I hope the weather stays fine then - that Gemini Titan isn't a light-weight...
U need to be prepared for all conditions... One year we set off in torrential rain and cold, so the initial descent was hairy as.... Then it fined up a little... I then got sunburnt between dinner plain and Omeo.... Then torrential rain, and early darkness up the back of (hell) Falls....

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 pm

So, whos all fired up for Buffalo again ?? :cry:

Endo

Postby Endo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm

hmmm, maybe I'll have to use the heavier and much brighter Gemini headlight if the weather is bad then.. dam. I was hoping to run a bit lighter (trust me, I need all the weight advantage I can get!)

What's the go with the "brightly-coloured rain jacket"? Does it have to actually not be black?