Race Report Thread

nickobec

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby nickobec » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 am

twizzle wrote: I wouldn't read too much into Monday's performance.
Especially two days later (and 42km intensity 0.9 TT bike familiarization ride in between) doing my best 16km ITT, best AP & NP (AP=NP) for TT bike and for this course

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Date: 2 February 2013
Venue: Kooragang
28km Handicap
Result: 1/35

Report:
There wasn't any racing last weekend cause of all the rain, so I was itching for a race this weekend. Wasn't the greatest of conditions but I had my new Farsports 50mm wheels on, which I wasn't sure at first if I should be using considering the winds were 35.2km/hr and gusts of 52km/hr. However I thought I could manage so I risked it.

Was meant to be a scratch race this week, however due to the weather it ended up being a handicap due to numbers. The first rider got a 5 minute head start, then it was my group of 3. We head of and up over the first little incline and I look back and we have dropped a member already :o As we roll past the start line, I'm shaking my head towards my dad thinking he's going to drop me I can't keep this pace.

The guy in front of me seems stronger into the winds so I tuck in behind him tacking little turns here and there. Two laps to go with no sight of any of the chasers we make a pack work together 20 seconds rotations on the front, I agree and we work well. Past the start line again and I make a little thumbs up to my dad, as I'm feeling better I can take the pace and do the 20 on then off. He looks down the back straight and tells me he can't see anyone. I'm thinking we've got this!

Past the hair pin on the circuit and we have 1.5km on the two chasing A grade riders, but I know they are coming fast and are only going to get faster! We work again together 20 on then off, pushing down the straight into the wind. Rounding the final corner there no where in sight, and luckily the wind is behind us making a nice tail wind, so were cruising at ~40km/hr, I get behind him and wait and wait and wait.

250m to go I jump! I hear him groan look back and he has nothing left so I come over the line in first place! and claim my first victory ever!

Next week definitely going to be in D grade xD I did record the last lap, however it is mostly me looking at the ground trying to get as low as possible.

Stats:
Time: 00:52:52
Avg Speed: 32.9 km/h

Strava Data

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Good on ya Kirky, a win is a win! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm

kirky92au wrote:
As we roll past the start line, I'm shaking my head towards my dad ... I can't keep this pace.

Past the start line again and I make a little thumbs up to my dad, as I'm feeling better I can take the pace

I get behind him and wait and wait and wait.

I jump!

I come over the line in first place! and claim my first victory ever!

Awesome. You will never forget that feeling. The feeling of overcoming: overcoming yourself (the doubts, the pain, the fear), the conditions, that rider, the bunch... you overcame it all, to win.

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 am

foo on patrol wrote:Good on ya Kirky, a win is a win! 8)
ft_critical wrote: Awesome. You will never forget that feeling. The feeling of overcoming: overcoming yourself (the doubts, the pain, the fear), the conditions, that rider, the bunch... you overcame it all, to win.
Cheers guys!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 am

PDCC D Grade Criterium Smeaton Way 3 February 2012

Took a couple days off to recover from my recent heavy racing schedule (4 races in 5 days) and what felt like a cold. So I had no idea how I was going to go today. My intention was to stay close to the front, ready to be involved in any breakaway and if it was quiet, conserve enough energy to launch an attack just as we approached the bell and attempt to stay away for the whole lap, aka Clint in the the WCMCC D grade points race on this course.

A lap and half in and I was doing my best to rip the legs off the bunch. Unfortunately with only two protagonists today (me & Travis) every attack we tried was covered. No matter if was full out sprint up the main straight, trying to ease slowly off the front or an almost well time counter attack after Travis got pulled back.

I did spend a lot of time on the front of the bunch, mainly because when my attempted attacks failed, nobody rolled through. So I just sat on the front tapping out 180 watts, a pace I could keep up all day. On occasions to take on fluids, I would swing back through the pack, to see what damage I was doing. Surprisingly it was not the recent promotions from E Grade but a couple of the regular D graders, red faced and breathing heavily, that seemed to be struggling. That gave me some satisfaction.

After 30 minutes, I was sitting at the back taking a drink, getting ready to move towards the front, expecting the bell in another two laps, our races after 35 minutes plus one lap. When the bell rang after only 30 minutes, the small group of riders at the front took off and everybody gave chase. I did get baulked a couple times getting past slower riders, but seriously my final lap was nowhere as fast as the riders at the front. So I finished 12th of 19 and in need of new tactics for my next race at Smeaton Way, as my fast final lap is not fast enough..

Got complimented by one the regular D graders, complaining that there were 5 riders strong enough to ride in C grade in our race, naming the top 3 finishers, myself and Travis. While the top 3 finishers are consistent performers who are likely to get promoted to C grade with another good performance. D grade is stuck with me and Travis for a bit longer, as we might have the strength for C grade, we don't have the results on the board and I don't have the racecraft needed to escape D grade (or survive C grade).
Last edited by nickobec on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Good race considering the mistimed bell Nick, it's a shame but with the club relying on volunteers (whome do a great job) no one can really be blamed (not saying anyone did). Next week is definitely the course for you, I'm looking forward to some real pain up that short sharp hill!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 pm

A grade crit, ACT vets.

DNF. Pulled out after 27 minutes (of 40 +2 laps) with lower back pain, a stitch, shifting problems with the RD on the new bike and A and B playing "passing tag" (45+ riders in total, exciting is one word for it!). Planets were not in aligment, and my heart just wasn't in it in the end. The race felt really hard, yet the power data says it wasn't - but I had ridden 50+km's already on the day.

Quite a change from three weeks ago, but I had been feeling pretty flat since late last week - I think I picked up a virus again. And I've been very slack with the stretching recently, the right side (hamstrings and glutes) is very tight again.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

skull

Postby skull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I heard that b grade caught, passed and then put a bit of space on a grade last night

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 pm

skull wrote:I heard that b grade caught, passed and then put a bit of space on a grade last night

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Not quite true. B started about half a lap behind, A caught B, slowed and waited a while (about 1.5 laps), then passed and went back to normal speed... then B suddenly decided they didn't like that and it became a game of pass/be passed for the last half of the race. The average for the first 27 mins was about 41kph, so A wasn't slow... B didn't sandbag for once.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm

that awkward feeling when you get home from the crits and realise your front brake was rubbing on the rim.. :oops:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 pm

A good habit too get into Jules is, always spin your wheels before any race or training to make sure there is no rubbing. :idea: :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:A good habit too get into Jules is, always spin your wheels before any race or training to make sure there is no rubbing. :idea: :wink:
i'm going to have to try and remember that! my problem is being time poor - i always have a list of maintenance tasks for my bikes!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 am

PDCC Criterium Parklands 10 February 2013
http://app.strava.com/activities/40375376

It was going to be an interesting race, it was hot, (average temperature during the race 35C), windy 25kph gusting to 35kph across the eastern half of the course. Parklands is my favourite criterium circuit, 4km long with a short sharp climb in the middle and no technical corners. The group was a little different from usual, down in numbers it was missing the sprinters (using their discretion) and the triathletes (important local race). Instead it was loaded with the all the aggressive attacking riders still in D grade I had raced with this season. So my original plan of attacking early and trying to get away with another rider or two, was put on hold to a more read and react. I did feel sorry for the new guy and a couple of regulars returning after a break. This was looking like it was going to be an aggressive attacking race.

It started very steadily for the 1st kilometre, then Brett tried to slip off the front. Nobody reacted, so I launched myself across the gap, had a lot of momentum and went flying past, I had Jamie on my wheel and we opened up a small gap. Jamie did a turn, then I put in a big effort to try and open the gap. It was early in the race, but the opportunity presented itself so I went for it. As we approached the climb for the fist time, I could see Travis and another rider bridging to us, up the climb I looked back and the pack was on us.

This is where I made my fatal mistake, I eased up while still on the climb and let the bunch pass me and jumped on the back. Expecting the peleton to slow a little and for me to get my breath back, before heading back to the sharp end. Only problem the peleton did not ease up, the riders on the front where also trying to escape and the riders I slotted in behind where struggling, their race already run. I had problem getting enough energy to get past one on the climb and still had troubles driving down the other side. Down the finishing straight, I could see three riders trying to make a break, five more in hot pursuit and a couple more struggling and I finished the lap less than 10 seconds adrift of the bunch of three.

I have bridged back to the bunch over similar gaps before, so I was not worried, I settled down to the long chase. The next lap was not bad, the wind was taking it's toll and there was still some animation in the bunch, still I was down by less that 20 seconds that lap. The third time into the wind and that was it. I was struggling, I lost sight of the bunch and my race was over.

I settled down to complete the race at a steady pace, the next lap I struggled, then I starting picking up pace for the last two laps. My incentive over the last half lap was chasing down two stragglers, the first was a B grade rider , the second was a D grade rider and that elevated me to 11th from 14.

Still lesson learnt, do not ease back on climbs, wait until the top and I am not ready to solo off the front of D grade at Parklands when it is windy if at all ;-)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:00 am

You should keep driving it over the top Nickobec, not back off at the top :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 am

nick that's one of the key things i need to work on - training at a steady pace, as i tend to do unless i push myself, can help make you pretty fit. but it won't condition you to recover quickly from those vicious efforts you need to make in races. i have made an effort to throw more sprints and intervals into my training - and as soon as i do that, i notice the benefit in races.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:25 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You should keep driving it over the top Nickobec, not back off at the top :wink:

Foo
+1

Best chance to get away.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 am

Karati wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:You should keep driving it over the top Nickobec, not back off at the top :wink:

Foo
+1

Best chance to get away.
I do know that, I have attacked going over that hill three times, 1st time almost got me a win, 2nd time started the race winning breakaway, 3rd time launched me from that breakaway to a win.

This time I just pushed myself too hard too early (change in medication regime allows me to do that, 10 weeks ago I would of been off the back, if somebody else put in that attack), but that was only a contributing factor.

The main cause was I just eased back too much on the climb and went to the back of the group. Instead of continuing riding at moderate effort, getting over the climb in the 1st half dozen and recovering on the descent and the next couple of kms.

Jules I do not do enough short interval training, particularly sprints. I do tend to push myself on my regular 40km commute to work, including a 17km at threshold section (TT training) early in the ride, which is why I can do long turns on the front, chase back on when dropped or do reasonable TT time for my grade.

Commuting, I will often push hard up an incline 3km from the end of that TT section, then drive down the other side, just to get attacking, no recovery feeling. I will also try to throw one or two of VO2 intervals at the end of the commute.
Last edited by nickobec on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjohnson

Postby bjohnson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 am

SPR/RCCC Technology Park Crit - D Grade.

Have been reading this thread on a regular basis for the last few months and have used it for motivation to enter my first crit (which I did on Sunday) and thought I should contribute.
I didn't have a very good lead up to the event, I really had no idea what to expect. My major concern was that I wouldn't be able to keep pace with the bunch and I would get dropped mid race.
With this in mind, I made the plan to just stick with the bunch as long as I could and get some experience. It wasn't helped by the fact that my bike was in the shop for the entire week leading up to the event having a crank arm replaced under warranty.

I went in expecting an aggressive start but to my surprise, the pace was very sedate for the first lap and slowly increased over the next few.
As the race went on, the pace was a tough but I was comfortable and didn't have any trouble keeping with the bunch. I rode in the front 3rd of the field (about 15/16 riders) for most of the race and I'm pretty sure the bunch split a little behind me and a few people pulled up. There was a slight wind, we weren't riding into it for very long but it was enough to sting you if you got caught out on your own.

Not that I have a whole lot to compare it to but it seemed like most people were too cautious and nobody really tried anything for most of the race. Most of the effort was made out of the corners, if someone let a gap form between them and the wheel in front then other riders jumped on it pretty quickly (It was like people pushing at a merge lane). I got more and more comfortable with the cornering speeds as the race went on so I didn't have to fight as hard to close the gap. There is a 90 degree downhill left hander that is slightly off camber and looking at strava we were hitting the apex at around 40km/h (I'm happy I decided to grab a set of Ultremo's last minute and not use my gatorskins :-)). Later in the race I lost a few positions when I got stuck behind a younger rider who was a little more cautious than I would have liked.

I looked up and noticed that we only had 2 laps to go, I really wasn't sure how quick the last lap was going to be so I didn't really do anything and I got a little left behind saving myself for the sprint. As we rounded second to last corner I upped the pace a little and jumped past 2 riders but the rest of the bunch was too far ahead for me to challenge, so I rolled over the finish in around 10th with an average speed of 34km/h over the 30 minutes.

I was happy that I managed to accomplish everything that I set out to do but also keen to have another crack at it and try to finish up a little better.

I had an awesome time and am looking forward to my next race. Looking at the PDCC event next weekend, I am trying to decide between E/D grade as I need to put in some big km's to make up for my time off last week. Not sure if I will have the legs for D.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:15 am

bjohnson wrote: had an awesome time and am looking forward to my next race. Looking at the PDCC event next weekend, I am trying to decide between E/D grade as I need to put in some big km's to make up for my time off last week. Not sure if I will have the legs for D.
D grade definitely, if you survived the Bentley Tech Park course with that downhill off camber corner and uphill drag to the finish line at an average of 34 kph over 30 minutes you are capable of surviving a PDCC D grade crit at Smeaton Way at 36kph over 40 minutes (it is flatter with no technical corners) as that was literally my Australia Day weekend.

If you rode E grade, you would romp it in for an easy win and learn very little about racing. In D grade it will be tougher, but you should learn more and probably finish mid pack.

D grade this week, depending on who is racing on the day, should be a little easier than the last PDCC D grade crit at Smeaton Way as one of the two major protagonists is on holidays in Bali, leaving the other (me) to work on new tactics. I do expect the racing to be less hectic at the start.

ps come over and say hello, I will be in a Cycling Torrents kit riding a blue fuji (both are fairly unique).

Nick

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Crit season over - got dropped on the second lap. Rode my way back on to the tail-enders and led my little group of six for a few laps until everyone passed me and when they surged a bit I got spat off again. Legs were gone... DNF two laps later as I was just in the way. Motivation nil... got a TT in about two weeks, having a break after that and will then try and train up for a two day event at Easter. I built up fairly hard from July onwards, CTL peaked at 107 at Christmas , now 92 and falling. Not happy.

Edit1: New PB power from 3:15 to 20:23!!!!! CP estimate 389W!!!! Faaaaaaaaark!!!!!

Edit2: Interesting. Last week, after DNF'ing in the crit, I thought I had pulled a muscle in the left glute. It had been niggling all through the week, and in the last two days I've been limping - couldn't walk normally because of the left hip/flexors/glute. Got up this morning - walking normally. I finished my rebuild of the TT bike last night, and this morning had a good session riding to/from breakfast, felt better than I have in weeks.

Sent from my iThingy...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 pm

HCC D grade.

creeping.. creeping.. creeping... attack! followed by frenzied chase by someone on the front of the bunch... creeping.. creeping.. creeping... 3 laps to go.. boom! sprint finish.

36 km/h average and lapped twice by B grade. it's pathetic. why do people fire all their bullets chasing down attacks on behalf of their opponents? i'm guessing ignorance.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 pm

bjohnson wrote: had an awesome time and am looking forward to my next race. Looking at the PDCC event next weekend, I am trying to decide between E/D grade as I need to put in some big km's to make up for my time off last week. Not sure if I will have the legs for D.
Just sit in and observe what's going on for a bit and then unleash yourself on occasion for the first few races. :wink: :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

PDCC D Grade Criterium
Smeaton Way
17th February 2013
http://app.strava.com/activities/41179412

Yesterday, test riding a Scott Foil Team Edition, I did a couple of hard laps of the course and settled on a plan to go to the front early in the race and sit on a good hard time trial pace for as long as possible, to see what would happen behind me.

Well that all changed when I arrived at the circuit this morning, the wind was a strong south westerly, which meant the last few hundred metres of the course was into a strong head/cross wind and then you turned into a block headwind once past the finish line. After a couple of warmup laps, it became clear that the wind would quickly sap the energy of any solo effort and I decided my plan was wait, watch and react and if I was still there at the end, attack as we turned onto the straight for the final time, get a gap and try and keep it to the line.

The first lap was a little chaotic riders everywhere but no pace, then a couple riders took control and picked up the pace a little. Everybody thought I was attacking, when I rolled to the front, but I was going to the front to make sure we did not have any issues passing the juniors. Stayed there for a lap and then rolled to the back and the surging began. It was fairly mild compared to the attacks that Travis or I put out, but even then I did get caught out once and spent most of a lap getting back on. But that had more to do with my erratic cornering than anything else. Sometimes I would nail the corner, other times my line was bad or I felt I was going in to fast and had to feather the brakes, it did not matter if I was on the front, in the pack or chasing back on, or which corner, I just was erratic.

After 20 minutes the pace slowed, so I went to the front to try my original plan, went to the front and set a hard pace and most rider's fastest lap for the race as they strung out behind my wheel. Into the headwind for the 2nd time, I decided it was just too hard and not sustainable, so I slowed, another rider countered and I was off the back with a 5 second deficit by the end of the lap. Not a problem this week, by the end of next lap I was back on, and slowly made my way up the pack, to be exactly where I needed to be when the bell rang about 5th. Then I made a mistake every corner and dropped a position or two each time. So I rounded the final corner in last place and had to sprint 400m instead of my planned 250m to the line. Got a few riders on my way, to finish 8th out of 13. It was a pretty decent sprint from me topping out at 52kph into a headwind and without anybody leading me out.

I need to be less conservative and more confident in those corners on the final lap to get myself into a good finishing position. I know what I need to work on, cornering and now have more confidence in my sprinting. Looking forward to the road season in a couple of months, but until then more criteriums and more corners including my least favourites at the motorplex next week.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Hawthorn - C grade crit 30 mins + 3 laps

D grade was sold out so i entered C. i think i prefer C - it is faster (~38 vs 36 km/h) so i am giving it an honest go for the full race, which is what i come for.

after almost saddling up on someone else's bike "mate, that's my bike" i found mine and settled in to the race. there were plenty of surges, which you don't get in D grade and which spat a lot of riders out. i'd done the Otway Odyssey on saturday, so i didn't feel strong and stayed at the back of the small bunch. mistake - i kept having to bridge back after riders lost contact.

at one stage i lost a good 100m on a sprint lap that way, and had to put a big solo effort in to bridge back up. surprisingly, i had the legs, but latched onto a female rider who had been caught 20m behind the bunch. deciding that discretion was the better part of male pride or chauvinism, i held her wheel. eventually she looked around as if to ask "are you gonna help or what?" so i came around and did a turn. but then we hit the hill and she lost contact as i put in a burst to catch the bunch.

anyway i clung on until the uphill sprint, by which time i had nothing left and could only roll over the line behind the bunch.